Thread: budget CDP

budget CDP

hey guys,
    yeah, I just recently got my new receiver here, and i'm finally looking into getting an actual CD player to use with it so i'm not using a crappy PCDP $16 special from wal-fart.

ok, so my budget is around $200 CDN, but i can MAYBE go a tiny bit higher if need be. Looking for just a plain, good, CD player. I listen to rock, hard rock, classic rock, punk, classical, jazz.

yeah, so thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I would search Agon as usual for that. But, I would try to get a CDP no older than 2000 for a good DAC.

How about this?
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lay&1172754952
    http://www.usa.denon.com/DCM-380_280-OM.pdf
    has a headphone jack for your Grado.
    Maybe you wanna act fast.

but getting a player with SACD and DVD-A would be nice.

J-Murda

You may want to search Canuck Audio Mart: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/class...igital_audio/5

For instance, Marantz CD5400: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...arantz_cd5400/

what about a DVD/CD player, like one from Denon? the DVD-1730 looks nice, and I can get it for $200 CDN taxes included...

they also have the DVD-1930 which has the SACD/DVD-A playback, but thats $400 and out of my budget.

I'm checking out that Marantz player you showed me elapsed, i've seen canuckaudiomart.com before too

[ps. don't worry about headphone jack, i've got one on my amp.]

A few quick questions/suggestions:

1) Do you already have a digital source such as a DVD player with a digital output? and does your reciever have a digital input? If so then it might be simpler and much cheaper to just use a digital connection and let your receiver do the processing.... since you probably won't find a NEW CD player with a better DAC than the receiver for $200....

2) Are you willing to buy used? If so then take JRH's advice and look into some used players no older than from 2000.... you can try a Canadian website for used Audio Equipment and deal locally.... Two good ones are:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com (They are dedicated to audio/video) and you can find really good high end gear there...

&

http://toronto.craigslist.org/about/cities.html (they have everything form electonics to apartment rental and jobs).... I don't generally recommend them for high end gear but at $200 you might find a lot more options there...

3) If you must buy new, then you can either increase your budget to $300 and you can get the Marantz CD5001 which a number of member of this site (myself included) find to be an amazing value and will prevent you from needing to upgrade your CDP for quite some time...

4) If you can't strech your budget that high and must buy new.... then try some of the mass market brands (check out the customer reviews on this site for reliability) such as Yamaha and Sony.... you want to find one that reads your formats (eg MP3) and most importantly, one that does not have trouble reading slightly scratched CDs...

Good Luck...

no, this receiver is a dedicated stereo only one made in 1992, so it only has stereo RCA inputs. oh well, i like the build quality and the Denon name of the DVD-1730 ... any one tried this one?

oh, and whats ur opinion on tha marantz CD-5400

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    no, this receiver is a dedicated stereo only one made in 1992, so it only has stereo RCA inputs. oh well, i like the build quality and the Denon name of the DVD-1730 ... any one tried this one?

oh, and whats ur opinion on tha marantz CD-5400
    Well, I'm now a huge fan of Marantz CD players... so I say go for it!

I think the 5400 is the older version of the 5001 so it should probably be an excellent player....

You might want to check out the OPPO DV-981HD DVD player if are considering the denon 1710 for use as a CDP. I've got a denon 1910 and I'm not impressed with its sound as a CDP. The reviews on the OPPO are excellent and it sells for about $225 USD.
    Its plays HDCD and SACD as well as being an upconverting DVDP for 1080P.
    It can also be upgraded in the future at www.referenceaudiomods.com
    www.oppodigital.com
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    You might want to check out the OPPO DV-981HD DVD player if are considering the denon 1710 for use as a CDP. I've got a denon 1910 and I'm not impressed with its sound as a CDP. The reviews on the OPPO are excellent and it sells for about $225 USD.
    Its plays HDCD and SACD as well as being an upconverting DVDP for 1080P.
    It can also be upgraded in the future at www.referenceaudiomods.com
    www.oppodigital.com
    It gotta be worth extra $25USD and the difference of $200USD and CAD. I think you should get that. I've always wanted to hear Lateraus on HDCD, DSOTM is available on SACD. Com'on Dude. You know you have to have it. You know it. If you love music, then you will get that player. Nah mean?

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...567&class&3&4&

If you want Denon and dont care about SACD and DVDA, how about this? http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...593&class&3&4&
    If you can do without SACD
    http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...133&class&3&4&

J-Murda

alright, alright, but we've gone away from the Marantz player!

what do you guys think of it? i've e-mailed the guy asking about it.

and the problem with all audiogon stuff is that most of the offers are USA only!

and I don't *WANT* a DVD player, it was just what seemed availible. I'd rather have the CD only marantz.

alright, alright, but we've gone away from the Marantz player!

what do you guys think of it? i've e-mailed the guy asking about it.

and the problem with all audiogon stuff is that most of the offers are USA only!

and I don't *WANT* a DVD player, it was just what seemed availible. I'd rather have the CD only marantz.

If you wanted a DVD player, then I think the Oppo would have been a good option... but since your real interest is CD playback, then stick with a dedicated CD player... since that should give you the best sound from your CDs....

yeah, thats what I was thinking, but can anyone recommend the Marantz? or a similar one availible online, in canada?

yeah, thats what I was thinking, but can anyone recommend the Marantz? or a similar one availible online, in canada?
    Well, what did you find out after your search? I say this because you are starting sound like someone on this site.

J-Murda

hahaha, oh well, i dunno, i'm going to widen my options this weekend with a trip to some more hi-fi shops in the downtown area and see what else I could get.

ok, after my trip to hi-fi stores this weekend, if i don't find anything, i'm going to buy the Marantz, from the reviews i've read, its amazing, and the guy lives in Montreal, only like an hour and a half away from me!

Thread Information