• 06-19-2004, 03:43 AM
    audis4
    ? Best components for surround sound audio only?
    I am interested in setting up a system for audio only. I already have great speakers. I need source=DVD player (I asssume) and power source. I currently have Yamaha integrated amp and wonder if this could be used somehow into the mix. I want to play DVD-A and SACD surround. Price not a major consideration. This will be dedicated for audio only so I don't care about video components. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • 06-19-2004, 03:57 AM
    N. Abstentia
    It's doubtful that a Yamaha integrated amp would have the correct inputs, is it a Dolby/DTS home theater amp?

If price is no object..well I don't know what I would buy. You can spend a few thousand on a DVD/DVD-A/SACD player and a few thousand on a good turntable. Add a nice new amp and you can come in for less than $10,000 easily.
  • 06-21-2004, 05:07 PM
    woodman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audis4
    I am interested in setting up a system for audio only. I already have great speakers. I need source=DVD player (I asssume) and power source. I currently have Yamaha integrated amp and wonder if this could be used somehow into the mix. I want to play DVD-A and SACD surround. Price not a major consideration. This will be dedicated for audio only so I don't care about video components. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

You don't say just what your "great speakers" are, or what your present integrated amp is (model number). Chances are that your prsent amp would not have the needed discrete 6-channel input jacks needed for DVD-A and SACD playback (they must be decoded and converted to analog signals within the player - not in the receiver/amplifier).

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your POV) you will end up with units that DO have video capabilities whether you intend to use them or not. To the best of my knowledge, there are NO players that output DVD-A and SACD signals that are not also DVD (video) players. Likewise, virtually all amps or receivers that have the required 6-channel analog inputs, will be "home theater" products.

For an amplifier, I'd recommend that you stay with a Yamaha A/V receiver such as any one of the following ... RX-V1, RX-Z1, RX-V2400, or RX-V1400. This is assuming that your speakers are fairly efficient and not of the "difficult to drive" variety.

For a player to play the desired discs, there are a number of models already in the marketplace that play both formats, with more appearing as we speak. I don't have a specific recommendation of a model for you ... just avoid spending more than a few hundred on one.

Hope this helps you