golden ear

Best Cd Player From $475 To $650

i do not want bright sounding players and i do not like dull sounding players as well.im looking for a well balanced CD player. i have an existing CA azur540C...if ill be buying a MF DAC for this one, would it make an improvement in sonic quality? if not, then i might as well buy a replacement and i need suggestions:
    -mf
    -arcam
    -azur 640C
    -marantz5001
    -hk970
    -rotel 1072
    -nad c542

Santa Claus

CD players

Quote Originally Posted by accastil
    i do not want bright sounding players and i do not like dull sounding players as well.im looking for a well balanced CD player. i have an existing CA azur540C...if ill be buying a MF DAC for this one, would it make an improvement in sonic quality? if not, then i might as well buy a replacement and i need suggestions:
    -mf
    -arcam
    -azur 640C
    -marantz5001
    -hk970
    -rotel 1072
    -nad c542
    What's wrong with the CA azur 540c.That's susposed to be a good cd player.What do you mean about buying a MF DAC.The DAC inside the CA azur 540c is very good.

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergymunster
    What's wrong with the CA azur 540c.That's susposed to be a good cd player.What do you mean about buying a MF DAC.The DAC inside the CA azur 540c is very good.
    You mean buying the Musical Fidelity DAC?Whatever you do don't do that.For your price range you can get a high quality CD player so in this respect getting a seperate DAC to attach to the CA azur 540c seems wasteful.I mean you could do that but with your cash flow you could do alot better.There are many very good cd players in that price range and I can only speak for CA azur 640c v1 as I'm extremely pleased with it.I also noticed your from the Philippines.It might be difficult getting a CD player there in one piece but don't really know.

Forum Regular
    Harman Kardon HD 970
    Pioneer VSX-AX3 Receiver
    Pioneer Dv-668 Dvd(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Infocus Screenplay 4805(AR Pro II Component)
    B&W 602 S3 Fronts(Monster THX)
    B&W CLR 60 Center
    B&W CDM-SNT Surr.
    Denon PMA-1500 MK II int. amp.
    Definitive Tech SuperCube II SW
    H/K HD970(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Marantz CD5001(AR PRO II inter.)
    Marantz PM-17MKII M
    Kef IQ3(Ecosse Cs2.3 wire)
    H/K HD970(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)

Could be your computer

Quote Originally Posted by accastil
    -mf
    -arcam
    -azur 640C
    -marantz5001
    -hk970
    -rotel 1072
    -nad c542
    OK, maybe not the solution for everyone all the time, but it works well for me.

I suggest a USB DAC. I'm using an M-Audio Audiophile USB, about US$150 and I judge it the equal of any <$1000 cdp. You might need a hard disk upgrade, say 300Gb for around $100; this will hold close to 900 CDs compressed to Apple Lossless format.

Suspended
    Nad C542. I bought one a few weeks ago, and it has made a huge difference in my enjoyment of music

Forum Regular
    I've had the Marantz CD5001 for a few days now. It is definitely a nice player for the money. Previously I was using a Marantz CC4300 changer, and before that, a Denon DCM 270. The 5001 has better imaging than the other players I have used. Can't comment on the other players you have listed, as I have not heard any of the rest.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark111867
    I've had the Marantz CD5001 for a few days now. It is definitely a nice player for the money. Previously I was using a Marantz CC4300 changer, and before that, a Denon DCM 270. The 5001 has better imaging than the other players I have used. Can't comment on the other players you have listed, as I have not heard any of the rest.

I agree that the Marantz CD5001 is an excellent player for the money.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

it's about the music
    I disagree with FergyMunster. And that's basically because i own and enjoy a CA 540C and a Musical fidelity DAC. The Tri-Vista, to be precise.
    it made all the difference in the world, specially to spacial presentation. It is one hell of a DAC, this one. It is, however, several times the price of the CA unit. Definately beyond those 650$ even in the used market.
    I have heard that the new Xdac is EXCELLENT, and that its supposed to surpass the Tri-Vista i own, and although the specs on paper are the best on earth (ACTUALLY the best on earth, no kidding) i'm now sure it can beat the 15kg tubed Tri-Vista with its massive power supplies and ultra-grade components.
    I guess that whatever floats ur boat.
    i'm extremely pleased.
    cheers!
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

Forum Regular
    I purchased an Arcam 73T for $620 after discount and I would highly recommend it as it's right at the top of your price range.I also listened to the Cambridge Azur 640C which is less expensive than the Arcam. I liked it quite a bit but to my ear the Arcam was a step-up in overall sound quality. Good luck with your decision as component choices are never easy. I was very concerned the Arcam wouldn't live up to it's great reviews but so far I don't think at its price point I could have made a better choice.Enjoy.

golden ear
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyB
    I purchased an Arcam 73T for $620 after discount and I would highly recommend it as it's right at the top of your price range.I also listened to the Cambridge Azur 640C which is less expensive than the Arcam. I liked it quite a bit but to my ear the Arcam was a step-up in overall sound quality. Good luck with your decision as component choices are never easy. I was very concerned the Arcam wouldn't live up to it's great reviews but so far I don't think at its price point I could have made a better choice.Enjoy.
    ive already bought the rotel rcd06 this weekend and for me, it sounds better than my azur 540c. sound is more balanced as compared to the slightly brite azur.

Thread Information