AR Newbie Registered Member

BEST <$1K CD Player - I'm Soooo Confused!

Another question for the group from a newbie. Since my treasured Luxman D-105u CD player went south I have been looking at new CD players and the more I look the more confused I become! I definitely want a "drawer" loading unit instead of a top loader (which I think eliminates the Rega & some others). Some of the "usual suspects: seem to be the C-A Azur 640c, Arcam CD73T, and "perhaps" the tube Jolida (JD-100A?). However the Jolida evidently needs mega-buck upgrades and the other two may not have the "tube warmth" that I got used to with the Luxman over the years (but they have vastly superior electronics - right?). The Ah-Tjoeb seems too pricey for my budget and just looks like a modified Marantz to me. Throw in the fact that some ads point out that the players are HDCD and CD-R compatible and it makes me just want to call "Miss Cleo" for advice on which one to buy!

Forum Regular
    I hear naim CD is pretty good
    try CD3 used

Smile THANKS For the help!

I will investigate the NAIM as well. I'm presently very torn between the newer models and the cost savings of some of the older, higher end, models. Most notably the new and previous cd player generations from Arcam (CD73T vs CD72) and Cambridge Audio (640c vs 500SE). My electrostatic & tube system is very demanding and there are no real audiophile dealers near the capital of Maryland (just high end Home Theater places)so I think actually auditioning something in my system BEFORE I buy it would not be possible.
    Sony seems to make the best transports but few have raved about their <$1K units for audiophile use. I can only assume that they do not specifically cater to the audiophile market.

Lightbulb the best !!

I would highly recommend a Sony XB930E - If you can find one. I bought it at a runout very cheaply. But this is the best CD player I ever had and belive me I have owned a few. CD players have always given me a headache on longterm listening - sounds harsh. THe only exception to this rule was an Akai (when they were still in the hifi buisness)I bought about 15 years ago and foolishly gave away.

The XB 930 has a digital filter that can be changed. it has 4 settings. The filter number 1 is the best by far and gives a rather analoguge like smooth sound NoT harsh at all !!. The standard filter is not that different from most other CD players but of better quality tahn most.
    It is built like a tank and has a rather cute metal disk that has to be used to clamp the CD - some what like a Naim CD player. The sound of this player is distinctly different (when on filter settings other than standard) and it is the best by far and I am talking about CD players costing thousands of dollars. Going by the superb build quality that you can never find at this price point, it should last you a life time

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NASA*jhendrixfan*
    Another question for the group from a newbie. Since my treasured Luxman D-105u CD player went south I have been looking at new CD players and the more I look the more confused I become! I definitely want a "drawer" loading unit instead of a top loader (which I think eliminates the Rega & some others). Some of the "usual suspects: seem to be the C-A Azur 640c, Arcam CD73T, and "perhaps" the tube Jolida (JD-100A?). However the Jolida evidently needs mega-buck upgrades and the other two may not have the "tube warmth" that I got used to with the Luxman over the years (but they have vastly superior electronics - right?). The Ah-Tjoeb seems too pricey for my budget and just looks like a modified Marantz to me. Throw in the fact that some ads point out that the players are HDCD and CD-R compatible and it makes me just want to call "Miss Cleo" for advice on which one to buy!

I would highly recommend you get a universal player so you are not restricted only to CDs. Money is not an indicator.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    You're right, the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 is a modified Marantz. It may not look too impressive, but if you want a dedicated CD player I think this is the one to get. The reason is the built-in tweakability/upgradeability. You can start out with the "stock" player at $699, and then experiment with accessories, tubes, op-amps, or get the upsampler card. To me, this is a huge plus. It allows you to tailor the sound to your room, your music, your preferences, your system. As long as your music collection is made up of mostly redbook CD's, a dedicated CDP is the way to go, IMO. My next purchase is a new digital player, and this is the one I'm leaning towards.

Wink sony

I am not sure about America but in other parts of the world Sony does cater for the the audiophile market. The XB930e i mentioned was specially "tweaked" for the british market with special non magnetic screws, power supply mods etc. The transport it self is unique with a special fixed laser. I suggest that you have a look in a popular british mag called HIFI Choice. The important difference is that unlike all others I know they do group tests with blind listening planels and this particular model did very well in the tests - technical and listening. (www.hifichoice.co.uk). A blind listening planel is the only way to get an unbiased opinion.
    In my context (Epos M12 bi amplified with Rotel power amps x2 + pre) it does sound excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by NASA*jhendrixfan*
    I will investigate the NAIM as well. I'm presently very torn between the newer models and the cost savings of some of the older, higher end, models. Most notably the new and previous cd player generations from Arcam (CD73T vs CD72) and Cambridge Audio (640c vs 500SE). My electrostatic & tube system is very demanding and there are no real audiophile dealers near the capital of Maryland (just high end Home Theater places)so I think actually auditioning something in my system BEFORE I buy it would not be possible.
    Sony seems to make the best transports but few have raved about their <$1K units for audiophile use. I can only assume that they do not specifically cater to the audiophile market.

Thread Information