I am having one heck of a weird experience with my computer at the moment, and try as I might I just can't figure out what's going on.

I recently purchased a new turntable in order to start transferring a lot of old LP's over onto my computer, and initial setup was fine. Hooked up the TT to my amplifier's 'record out' and from there to my sound card's input plug, and found everything was working fine. Even tranferrred a few songs over onto my HD as an experiment just to see that all was okay. That was a couple of weeks ago.

Last night I decided to actually start getting serious and begin making the transfers I planned, but I've run into a problem. I use Sound forge for the recording, and what seems to be happening is that both channels are being funneled into one (the left, I think) while the other shows a complete blank as far as the recording monitors are concerned. I've played around with everything, checked to see that the system is in stereo and not mono, everything, and I just can't nut out why it is doing this all of a sudden. If I unplug either the left or right channel from the back of the amp you can clearly hear that the other channel is still there and that they they are being overlayed once you plug the other channel back in.

I thought it might have been a software issue with Soundforge and downloaded a trial program and found the same thing was happening with that one, so it seems to come down to an issue perhaps with the sound card. If I unplug the amplifier completely from the computer's sound card I can still see that only one channel is being used (the bit of static/hum that usually shows up when the system is dormant can be seen jumping around a little bit on just the one channel), so it certainly isn't the amp or TT at fault.

Oddly enough, while the amp and TT are hooked up and playing music (into one channel) on my recording software, the music pumps out quite happliy from both of my desk top speakers! Weird!

Does anyone have any clues? I personally think the music I tried put through the system has cursed it - my wife's a Barry Manilow fan (don't even start) and I'd decided to put together a CD of her favorites from all the numerous albums of his that she owns!

Any thoughts on the computer issue would be much appreciated. All I can think is that a setting somewhere or other has been checked or unchecked, causing the problem. That or perhaps the fact I was trying to install an additional HD to the system a couple of weeks ago has caused some sort of glitch. Beats the heck out of me!

Thanks.......Tim