Benchmark DAC1???

I'm loooking for a good DAC for around a grand (preferably less).... which is a pretty dificult task since DACS are generally pretty pricey.... I've seen a number of amazing reviews for the Benchmark DAC1 ($1000) which is spot on my budget.... so I'm just wondering if anyone here has had experience with it.... or is able to recommend another good DAC for around that price....

I already have a fairly good NAD CD player that I hardly use anymore, because I uploaded my entire CD collection to my MAC and have it hooked up directly to my Rotel Pre-Amp.... so I'd like to find a good DAC to improve the source quality from the MAC....

So any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

You might consider a USB DAC

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Reid
    I'm loooking for a good DAC for around a grand (preferably less).... which is a pretty dificult task since DACS are generally pretty pricey.... I've seen a number of amazing reviews for the Benchmark DAC1 ($1000) which is spot on my budget.... so I'm just wondering if anyone here has had experience with it.... or is able to recommend another good DAC for around that price....

I already have a fairly good NAD CD player that I hardly use anymore, because I uploaded my entire CD collection to my MAC and have it hooked up directly to my Rotel Pre-Amp.... so I'd like to find a good DAC to improve the source quality from the MAC....

How do you connect your MAC to Rotel? I'm guessing via analog output? I note that the Bench mark has only S/PDIF inputs; does the MAC have a S/PDIF output? What might be preferable is a DAC with a USB input. One that comes to might is the PS Audio Datalink III; it's a grand and it has coaxial and optical inputs too so you connect your CD player. I haven't heard it personnally, however.

Thanks for the suggestion... I'll definetly check out the Datalink

I am connecting the Mac to the Rotel via analog.... but the MAC has Optical Output so I can use either a traditional DAC or a USB enabled one....

I wonder ... USB experts??

Thanks for the suggestion... I'll definetly check out the Datalink

I am connecting the Mac to the Rotel via analog.... but the MAC has Optical Output so I can use either a traditional DAC or a USB enabled one....
    I'm not an expert but I suspect conversion is necessary if you use the MAC optical output, i.e. conversion to S/PDIF. Output via USB might be more "native" to the computer, so that more work will be done at the out-board DAC rather than in the MAC. This might or might not make a significant difference.

Any USB experts out there who can comment?

You can run optical into a Benchmark DAC1 no problem. I do it myself, and I'm quite pleased with the DAC1. However, DAC technology is changing quickly, and the DAC1 has been around for a while now. I think you could probably get something better for the money (or the equivalent for less).

The point Feanor makes is not just about compatibility though: In my experience, you are best off generating the PCM signal at some point other than the computer. (I use a squeezebox for this purpose.) All the computer's electronics are going to put a terrible amount of jitter into the digital signal. Supposedly the DAC1 can deal with the jitter, but I doubt it can eliminate it completely. Perhaps if you used a buffered DAC like the Lavry, you wouldn't have to worry about it -- but I haven't tried it.

And I don't know much about USB DACS either.

You're better off seeking advice on some of the other forums when it comes to digital. There are a few people around here who are somewhat knowledgeable, but most people here tends towards the older, more traditional end of audio.

Check out this forum, which is loaded with EEs and digital sound experts:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/

Search around in the Audiophiles section, there's more than you'd ever want to know about DACs.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Thanks for all the advice so far guys....

Based on some quick research I did on USB DACS, the Squeezebox and Sonos Zone Player based on your recommendations... I'm leaning towards a USB DAC.... since it appears that a USB connection (because of two way error correction or something like that.... I'm not that technical) is far better at reduces jitter than using an Optical out directly from the MAC.... The Squeezbox or Sonos would do essentially the same thing but have the added advantage of allowing wireless conectivity between the computer and your high-end audio set-up... which is of no benefit to me right now... since I have my my entire setup including MAC and TV in one room.... so I'll cut out the middle man (and additional costs) and just try a USB DAC....

So hopefully I can find a good one.... and anyone who has recommendations on a good $1000 or less USB DAC, feel free to post your suggestions....

Thanks again for the responses so far... they've really helped me to narrow my search...

Forum Regular
    Thanks for all the advice so far guys....

Based on some quick research I did on USB DACS, the Squeezebox and Sonos Zone Player based on your recommendations... I'm leaning towards a USB DAC.... since it appears that a USB connection (because of two way error correction or something like that.... I'm not that technical) is far better at reduces jitter than using an Optical out directly from the MAC.... The Squeezbox or Sonos would do essentially the same thing but have the added advantage of allowing wireless conectivity between the computer and your high-end audio set-up... which is of no benefit to me right now... since I have my my entire setup including MAC and TV in one room.... so I'll cut out the middle man (and additional costs) and just try a USB DAC....

So hopefully I can find a good one.... and anyone who has recommendations on a good $1000 or less USB DAC, feel free to post your suggestions....

Thanks again for the responses so far... they've really helped me to narrow my search...
    Scott Nixon's kits are impressively inexpensive - under $140 with everything for a USB DAC. Not the world's greatest (it's a TDA1543 DAC), but it's certianly not bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by spasticteapot
    Scott Nixon's kits are impressively inexpensive - under $140 with everything for a USB DAC. Not the world's greatest (it's a TDA1543 DAC), but it's certianly not bad either.
    Hmmm, I hadn't really considered DIY before.... but I think that would actually be a fun project one day for my Closet System.... but I really want to find the best DAC I can get for my budget for my main system first....

Forum Regular
    If I were you I'd check out Audiogon & Ebay as you can get some incredible deals for great DAC's.
    A Bel Canto 1.1 which I heard was must better then Benchmark DAC-1 was available for $480 on Audiogon. While I read some good things on Benchmark, I also read some bad things too. One important consideration you should take into account is, if you don't like it, will you be able to either return it for a refund or be able to resell it online at a minor loss?

I've got a Scott Nixon USB Tube DAC($450). it's a nice little unit. It's a very simple, clean and direct way to get music off the computer and into the stereo. It's USB direct to i2s to analog. No SP/DIF stage to add jitter to the signal. The result is a very clean signal with great resolution. Makes internet radio sound great and lossless audio files sound FANTASTIC.

Nixon also has an identical version minus the tube for about $250. seems like a great deal.

Forum Regular

That Nixon Dude don't even respond to Emails from Potential Buyers

I was interested in buying one of the DAcs you mentioned & had a bunch of questions for this guy & he didn't bother to respond at all. Screw em. He lost my business

Quick Update:

I've Narrowed down my choices to 3 USB DACs that vary substantially in price:

Firestone Fubar II (Love the name lol) for US $120 (add another $100 if I want the optional power supply)

Scott Nixon USB Tube DAC for US $450

Stella DA100 for US $695 (there is a Stella DA 220 MKII for around US $1700 which is supposed to be amazing, but I'm not willing to spend that much on a DAC)....

Based on the ridiculously low price, I'm really tempted by the Fubar.... but the reviews for the Stella 220 DAC (which I'm not buying) and the one I've seen for the DA100 make them sound like Audio Nirvana....

So right now I'm really leaning towards the Stella.... but the Fubar's price and name are really tempting...

If anyone has any experience with any of my choices or has any other recommendations feel free to let me know...

Thanks again for all the input... and I'll give a full review when I eventually get one of these DACs....

Hdcd??

Quick Update:

I've Narrowed down my choices to 3 USB DACs ....
    Have you encountered any DACs that decode HDCD? I believe the selection is rather limited.

Thread Information