AR Newbie Registered Member

Trying to choose the best CD Player

I'm looking to add a higher end CD player to my system - current system consists of a McIntosh MC122 Amp, C15 Pre-amp, Martin Logan Aerius speakers, Rega P5 turntable. I've narrowed it down to Naim CD5i, Cyrus 8X, or Cary ... any advice or thoughts. I listen mostly to light rock, female vocals, some jazz - woudl love to keep the spend to around 1750 US. It would be great if it was upgradable too. Thanks Mike

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelH
    I'm looking to add a higher end CD player to my system - current system consists of a McIntosh MC122 Amp, C15 Pre-amp, Martin Logan Aerius speakers, Rega P5 turntable. I've narrowed it down to Naim CD5i, Cyrus 8X, or Cary ... any advice or thoughts. I listen mostly to light rock, female vocals, some jazz - woudl love to keep the spend to around 1750 US. It would be great if it was upgradable too. Thanks Mike
    There's no good evidence that CD players that have a flat frequency response, low noise, low distortion, a low output impedance, and which otherwise come close to the CD standard sound any different. Why anyone would want a player that was not technically good I couldn't say. Get a player that tracks well, has the features you want, and seems well built and reliable. Nowadays, they have universal players which will play CDs, DVD's, DVD-A's, even SACDs, which are technically good enough.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I would suggest you try an Audio Note DAC which can be used with a cd player that has digital outputs. This DAC will not measure as well --- but it will likely recreate music more believably --- that of course is the test of accuracy and why I intend to get one. They are not that expensive either especially if you build it yourself in KIT form.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I use an Arcam CD player.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelH
    Although I'm having a difficult time reccomending a CD ONLY player for Audio now that SACD, and DVD-Audio are out in force. The Player that comes to mind is the Arcam FMJ DV-27-A. While $2999 list, there's one on Audiogon.com that's listed for $1750; http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....deo&1112566039

I also own a DVD-Audio capable DVD player, and I can tell you that DVD-Audio is simply stunning when you listen to the highest-rez 192khz/24bit Stereo track. In my system only the best Redbook CD's can come close, but I am using a mid level DVD/DVD-Audio player against a $700 dedicated CD player. My guess is that DVD-Audio through this audiophile grade Arcam player will blow redbook right out of the water.

Re. the ARCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Although I'm having a difficult time reccomending a CD ONLY player for Audio now that SACD, and DVD-Audio are out in force. The Player that comes to mind is the Arcam FMJ DV-27-A. While $2999 list, there's one on Audiogon.com that's listed for $1750; http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....deo&1112566039
    I understand that the Arcam plays DVD-Audio but not SACD. Personnally I wouldn't buy a universal player without SACD. Certainly there are more recordings, especially classical genre, available on SACD. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd go for SACD even without the DVD-A, for example the Sony SCD-XA9000ES.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I would suggest you try an Audio Note DAC which can be used with a cd player that has digital outputs. This DAC will not measure as well --- but it will likely recreate music more believably --- that of course is the test of accuracy and why I intend to get one. They are not that expensive either especially if you build it yourself in KIT form.
    I had about given up on improving CD sound until I heard the Audio Note Dac - the 3.1X. I bought it... as soon as I found a used one, that is! I'll never complain about digital sound again.

I also agree about your "test of accuracy" comment. I'm not sure what good measured accuracy is if the final product sounds like garbage. I'll take believability over measured accuracy any day... but then again I'm first and foremost a music lover.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin

I also own a DVD-Audio capable DVD player, and I can tell you that DVD-Audio is simply stunning when you listen to the highest-rez 192khz/24bit Stereo track. In my system only the best Redbook CD's can come close, but I am using a mid level DVD/DVD-Audio player against a $700 dedicated CD player. My guess is that DVD-Audio through this audiophile grade Arcam player will blow redbook right out of the water.
    I am now debating between Universal Players and CD Only - the consensus though seems to be that the Universal players are not as good as the better CD only players out there right now - which universal players can match the better CD Players out there for Redbook CD's?

Thread Information