Forum Regular

DVD-audio/DVD-video/SACD/RBCD

Are there any decent (by decent I mean good warranty, good reliability, etc.) DVD-audio/DVD-video/SACD/RBCD players out there? I know phillips has a DVD-video/SACD player, but I am interested in something that would take full advantage of DVD-audio also.

Realizing full well that "decent" is a fairly ambigious term,...

... I'll tell ya what I'm waiting for. Should be available any day now, but I'm a patient man.

Toshiba has a 5 disc changer that does all these and will sell for under $200 @ www.jandr.com. yeah, Denon and Marantz also have these units but I believe the starting prices are around $500 or so.

I'm pretty sure they either have, or will have, a single disc version of said unit. This will be my "toe in the water" for Hi Rez formats. I've lived thru the great quad wars of the 70's and STILL have a Fisher 4 channel receiver. I don't need any more obsolete dinosaurs.

I've been waiting on that Toshiba changer for 4 monhts now. I gave up and ordered the Marantz DV6400 which was $549. It costs more, but the sound and build quality SHOULD be 10 times better plus the Marantz has bass management for SACD and DVD-Audio. High quality CD output was just as important to me as SACD and DVD-A so I went with the Marantz.

However if that Toshiba ever comes out I think it will be the entry level player to have for sure.

Four months???

Yeesh. Well, I'm not only a patient man, I'm also a cheap one as well. The longer Iput this off, the more choices will appear and in this hobby, the trickle down theory DOES work.

The more proven the technology, the cheaper and better it becomes. DVD and CD players are availavble today for under $100 that beat the tar out of almost anything a few years ago at almost any price.

Besides, if this Hi Rez stuff is all that, it'll be around for a while. By waiting I simply build up my choices of software.

Anybody wanna buy a 4 channel receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by markw

The more proven the technology, the cheaper and better it becomes. DVD and CD players are availavble today for under $100 that beat the tar out of almost anything a few years ago at almost any price.
    True, but the $600 equipment made today beats the stuffing out of the sub $100 equipment made today

I guess I just finally sat down and realized that all the DVD and CD players I've bought have always been 'bang for the buck' models even though I have $4000 worth of speakers. I guess I was just ready to treat myself to a 'boutique' player and forget about the chain store stuff!

Forum Regular

Looking for Quality

By high quality I meant a Toshiba, Sony, Phiilips, etc. Something with a decent Warranty. Preferably for less than $300. I think I will wait also, maybe until I get all my student loans paid off (2014).

Well you pretty much have two choices in the entry level (under $300) players:

1) Pioneer 563A. Single disc player that plays everything but WMA discs. Needs a firmware upgrade to play some DVD-Audio discs though, and I see some places have it clearanced for $140-ish so they must have a new player coming out to replace it.

2) Wait for that Toshiba changer which is what I would do..and what I WAS doing until I decided to get the Marantz

New Cheamper Pioneer Universal Coming Soon

There is a new model coming from Pioneer called the DV-578A, rumour said that it will be a replacement model for the DV-563A.

Worth noting is the lower MSRP of $199us (vs. $249us for the DV-563A)

Forum Regular
    I'm in *exactly* the same boat, except that I definitely wanted 5-disc capabilities (yes, I'm buying the Toshiba any day now... BTW Best Buy has it on sale for $169...)

Another viable option which I consdired before I saw the Toshiba is the new Samsung DVD-HD841. Everything but single disc. Also has supposed "HDTV" output (whatever that means coming from a DVD source..) and actual DVI output (which can't be a bad thing). It also looks like the cat's meow.

Also the above mentioned Pioneers. For some reason, I've just never been a huge fan of pioneer... not sure why. (maybe it's that pioneer receiver i had 8 years ago that fried and destroyed my speakers..?? hmmm....)

Forum Regular

It's not the cheapest, but...

I've got the Marantz DV6400 and couldn't be happier with it. It goes for around $500-600. The warranty is 3 years, covering everything but owner abuse. I had a faulty spindle motor in mine, which was making lots of noise. I sent it off to Marantz (I did have to pay shipping TO them, but not from) and they replaced it, no questions asked. The service was a bit slow (the whole thing took about 2 1/2 weeks), but it has performed flawlessly since then. And the sound is soooo much better than with my old Denon and Pioneer models.
    Mike

Utmostjamin1

sacd

I have a decent Sacd/dvd A player but what im looking for is some decent discs, it doesnt look to me like either format is selling. a lot of places are discontiuning or downsizing there selections. at least in the stores i dont know about online but i cant find much that interests me.

Thread Information