Suspended

Any experience with Gamut

I have a chance to pick up a Gamut CD-1 at a good price but I don't know anything about them. Can anyone help?

I'm looking for a player with good pace, I don't want rolled off bass or high end and I don't want over analytical. I understand Gamut is German. I really like T+A which I believe is also from there. I do not like Primare's CD sound. Krell is very good but I sold my 280cd not long ago because it didn't have the synergy I was looking for with my Conrad Johnson gear. The Audio Note is great but I recently quit getting sound from it. It is in the shop. I am using an older CJ solid state DAC now which is alright but lacks the natural tones of the AN. The CJ has the sound stage and pace down very well. The CJ demonstrates a tightness in the bass I think I was lacking with the AN but that wasn't apparent when I first got it so I wonder if it developed a gradual weakness. I will have to see when I get it back. The Gamut is cheap enough I would pick it up as a back up if it fit my wants.

I also thought about buying a new player, a Shanling CD-t1000se and keeping the AN as back up. The issue here, is the Shanling in the same league with AN. I also thought if the Gamut was good, I could use it as as transport to the AN and then have access to 2 different DAC's. That really peaks my interest.

Forum Regular

Don't take this to the bank, but...

I think E-Stat uses a Gamut

I also think I heard the Gamut rolls off the bass below 40 Hz.

Not sure but that's my recollection. Do give E-Stat a shout.
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

Suspended
    Thanks. I found out the unit that was for sale is a Berendsen who was the manufacturer of GamuT's CD-1. Berendsen after a few years entered the market with their own player for about half the price. It doesn't have balanced outs, I'm not sure of any other differences. A review I found of the Berendsen said it actually had further high and low end extension than the version built for GamuT. Both got pretty good reviews for what that's worth.

Forum Regular

Yes, well...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Thanks. I found out the unit that was for sale is a Berendsen who was the manufacturer of GamuT's CD-1. Berendsen after a few years entered the market with their own player for about half the price. It doesn't have balanced outs, I'm not sure of any other differences. A review I found of the Berendsen said it actually had further high and low end extension than the version built for GamuT. Both got pretty good reviews for what that's worth.
    Your Audio Note DAC remains the finest piece of digital gear I've ever heard. It's next on my upgrade list. I may have mentioned that a measurement geek friend of mine told me I liked it because it introduced distortion into the sound and I must like distortion. The truth is that whatever it does, it makes reproduced music sound more real. And if that is distortion, it makes me wonder just what it is they're doing to the music in the recording studio!
    -Sam Rivers

- Musicoverall

Suspended
    I got mine back into the system this week. Has your friend ever heard AN? If so, I don't see how he gets distortion, it don't have the stereotypical tube sound. What ever they want to call it, you are right, it sounds nice and very listenable.

Have you heard any Shanling? I haven't but wonder how they stack up.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I got mine back into the system this week. Has your friend ever heard AN? If so, I don't see how he gets distortion, it don't have the stereotypical tube sound. What ever they want to call it, you are right, it sounds nice and very listenable.

Have you heard any Shanling? I haven't but wonder how they stack up.
    Hey, he's a measurement geek. He don't need no steenkeeng listening!

No, I haven't listened to the Shanling. The tubed units look cool, though.
    -Sam Rivers

- Musicoverall

Thread Information