• 01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
    edgejazz
    Are all iPod docks the same?
    This is in relation to my earlier post re the Wadia 170i Transport, which I think I'll pass for now as it requires an outboard DAC to benefit, as I'm not really interested in high-rez digital extraction and all that algorithm.

I'll be happy in lossless playback thru analog output from the iPod to the rest of my system but with the added convenience of putting it on a dock, remote control, playlist selection, battery charging, etc.

Other than perhaps variations in user interface and output connectivity (e.g., 3.5mm, L/R RCA), are all iPod docks the same in terms of analog performance even if using decent interconnects?

Eager to hear your experiences or observations. Would appreciate any recommendations as well. Thanks.
  • 01-27-2009, 08:23 PM
    Kevio
    I don't know about yours, but plugged into my stereo with 3.5 mm to RCA cable, my iPod sounds like dog ****. I sure hope the analog output at the docking connector sounds better. There's a digital output on that same connector. Docks that make use of that theoretically have the potential to stand above the others. I'll be interested to see what turns up here.
  • 01-27-2009, 08:58 PM
    edgejazz
    Pretty decent and impressive. Could be better. Are you listening at lossless?

Btw, I'm only asking about basic stand-alone iPod docks that can be connected straight to a stereo system, not docks with speakers, clock radio, or any of those types.
  • 01-28-2009, 07:06 AM
    Kevio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by edgejazz
    Pretty decent and impressive. Could be better. Are you listening at lossless?

No, not lossless but I have listened to the same files through the computer connected to the same stereo system and it is quite a bit better that way.

What kind of iPod are you using? Mine is a 60 GB video-capable fatty.
  • 01-28-2009, 07:16 AM
    edgejazz
    I'm switching to a 120GB or 160GB this week and that's why am trying to get opinions about docks, again because of the conveniences mentioned. I've been using the Creative Zen M for some time, WMA lossless, and it's been very good and impressive and I really enjoyed the performance.
  • 01-28-2009, 10:56 AM
    Well I've read good things about the Harman Kardon and Denon docks, when connected to HK & Denon receivers. Of course, not all receivers are that good either, so you can guess that these reviews are from a certain expectation level.

If money is not too tight, the Wadia doc is like no other device out there, especially with uncompressed files. I have not heard it in my system at home (which is really how you want to evaluate these), but I've been told by several people that they sound significantly better than a regular dock. One guy I was talking to at a recent show said he used his with a $100 DAC he purchased at Guitar Center, and it still sounds way better than his Onkyo dock.

Here's a nice bundle that would put any stand-alone dock to shame:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/83363
  • 01-28-2009, 11:26 AM
    edgejazz
    Thanks nightflier. Hmm, might have to revisit the Wadia Transport again. I've actually considered getting and using it without any external DAC if I'm convinced it performs better than mass market docks even by its analog output alone, then maybe down the road if I'm interested in high-rez digital extraction just add a decent DAC. Have to find a dealer and audition it though.