• 02-17-2005, 10:50 PM
    airdough49
    192kHz/24-bit DAC = UPSAMPLING?
    I have a Yamaha RX-V1300 Receiver that says it has 192kHz/24-bit DACs. If I use a cd player as a transport and use the receivers DAC, is this equal to Upsampling? I was thinking of buying an upsampling cd player, but would I be wasting money on something that I already have? Thanks
  • 02-18-2005, 10:38 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

Originally Posted by airdough49
    I have a Yamaha RX-V1300 Receiver that says it has 192kHz/24-bit DACs. If I use a cd player as a transport and use the receivers DAC, is this equal to Upsampling? I was thinking of buying an upsampling cd player, but would I be wasting money on something that I already have? Thanks

The simple answer is no. 24/192khz dac are mainly used for DVD-A, redbook CD going through this DAC will still be 16/44.1khz, unless your player has a unsampling feature(pretty rare)
  • 02-18-2005, 11:23 AM
    kexodusc
    Hmm...while we're on this topic, this brings up a question I've had for awhile...I've heard different opinions as to the real world benefits of upsampling...are there real world benefits/detriments to upsampling?
  • 02-18-2005, 01:16 PM
    shokhead
    Not that i've heard. It wouldnt sway me one way or another. Had it,tried it and never tried it again.
  • 02-19-2005, 09:27 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Hmm...while we're on this topic, this brings up a question I've had for awhile...I've heard different opinions as to the real world benefits of upsampling...are there real world benefits/detriments to upsampling?

The only benefits to upsampling would be to move the anti aliasing filter from 22.050hz, up to a higher frequency, and out of the way of any high frequencies within the music. The sound is smoother, but not what you would get if you just recorded with a higher sample rate.

I have also heard that some upsampling algorythms actually introduce distortion doing the mathematical upsampling calculations. Aside from pushing the anti aliasing filters out of the way of the music, I see no real benefit from the practice.