Forum Regular

Attenuating CD output

I have an Adcom GCD-750 CD player. The output is too high. (e.g. my pre-amp volume goes from approxiamtely 7 to 5 o'clock. At 8 o'clock the volume is fairly high. at 9 o'clock it is really starting to take off.)
    Any ideas on how to scale back the output on the CD player so I have better control of the volume?

the rest of my compnents are behaving ok TT, tuner and tape deck. Just the CD player.
    ARC VT100 MKIII , ARC LS-15 , Anthem PRE1P Phono Stage
    Acoustics Signature TT , Adcom GCD-750 CD
    Tascam 130 Cassette Deck ,Transparent Audio Plus Speaker Cable , Transparent Audio Plus Balanced interconnects
    Martin Logan Ascents , HG 10 SX Velodyne Sub
    Pioneer TX-9100 Tuner

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I think the problem is that the CD player was designed

Quote Originally Posted by Arc45
    I have an Adcom GCD-750 CD player. The output is too high. (e.g. my pre-amp volume goes from approxiamtely 7 to 5 o'clock. At 8 o'clock the volume is fairly high. at 9 o'clock it is really starting to take off.)
    Any ideas on how to scale back the output on the CD player so I have better control of the volume?

the rest of my compnents are behaving ok TT, tuner and tape deck. Just the CD player.
    to work with the Adcom GFP-750 passive/active preamp that was designed by Nelson Pass for Adcom. I'm a fan of passive preamps, and also of just about anything that Mr Pass has designed. You may want to buy an inexpensive passive preamp, or even build one. I think several members of this forum have done that with good results.

Easy. Lose the superfluous gain stage. Use attenuators instead of the preamp for use with the CD. You may be surprised at the sonic benefit. I use my preamp solely for use with vinyl where the gain is required. My CD player has lower impedance than my ARC preamp anyway.

rw

Forum Regular
    Well as I understand it then an attenutor can be anything then from a POT to a resistor, is that correct?

My thoughts are to connect say a 10k ohm resistor in the signal path from the CD to preamp. The question is on what leg would I insert the resistor? I am running an XLR IC and not clear on what leg to use. Comments?
    Tascam 130 Cassette Deck ,Transparent Audio Plus Speaker Cable , Transparent Audio Plus Balanced interconnects
    Pioneer TX-9100 Tuner

Well as I understand it then an attenutor can be anything then from a POT to a resistor, is that correct?
    Basically, yes.

My thoughts are to connect say a 10k ohm resistor in the signal path from the CD to preamp. The question is on what leg would I insert the resistor? I am running an XLR IC and not clear on what leg to use. Comments?
    The benefits I speak of are only realized when you remove the superfluous gain stage. If you still want to use the 20 db gain stage as an attenuator, however, I would suggest talking to Leonard at ARC for guidance. My SP-9 MKIII has internal provision for reducing gain.

rw

Forum Regular

In-line attenuator

Check out Parts Express. If you have an analog connection you can buy in-line attenuators. They are about $25 for a pair, available in -3db, -6db, and -12db.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang
    Check out Parts Express. If you have an analog connection you can buy in-line attenuators. They are about $25 for a pair, available in -3db, -6db, and -12db.
    Now that's what I'm looking for! Know of anyone selling the Balanced version?
    Pioneer TX-9100 Tuner

Thread Information