• 11-16-2006, 08:36 PM
    Rock789
    1-BIT DLC (Direct Linear Conversion)
    I've got an old pioneer cd changer which has a 1-BIT DLC DAC (I believe)
    it's a Pioneer PD-F906...
    I am running this into a B&K PT3 series II pre, Anthem PVA 2 amp, and running Von Schweikert VR1...
    I figure the Digital Analog convertor is the weak link, and will be shortly trying a denon 20bit DAC, but would you guys suggest a much better DAC or am I going in the wrong direction with this?
    also, any info on upgrading the Pioneer CD changer's output?

thanks,
    Mike
  • 11-17-2006, 08:10 AM
    basite
    1 bit?
    are you sure about that?

at one bit you'll be able to hear beeps,
    try looking out for a totally new cd player...
  • 11-17-2006, 09:04 AM
    Rock789
    Quote:

Originally Posted by basite
    1 bit?
    are you sure about that?

at one bit you'll be able to hear beeps,
    try looking out for a totally new cd player...

the front says "1-BIT DLC"... I googled this and it says it was a type of digital to analog converter, but I am not sure how this works...

the changer does have optical out, which is what I am looking to use in the future...
  • 11-17-2006, 09:42 AM
    basite
    maybe better indeed, then the signal will be converted by the receiver's dac, it should give better sound...
  • 11-17-2006, 12:08 PM
    Feanor
    Same for my old Technics CPD
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock789
    I've got an old pioneer cd changer which has a 1-BIT DLC DAC (I believe)
    it's a Pioneer PD-F906...
    I am running this into a B&K PT3 series II pre, Anthem PVA 2 amp, and running Von Schweikert VR1...
    I figure the Digital Analog convertor is the weak link, and will be shortly trying a denon 20bit DAC, but would you guys suggest a much better DAC or am I going in the wrong direction with this?
    also, any info on upgrading the Pioneer CD changer's output?

thanks,
    Mike

I have an old Technics player, circa 1991, that claims to have a 1 bit DAC. I once read a explaination of what that meant but I didn't really understand the details, and don't remember them now in any case.

The old Technics was a huge improvement over the Yamaha I own previously, some model circa 1985, but today it sounds grainy and lacking in detail.
  • 11-17-2006, 01:04 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    1-bit DACs were all the rage in what seems like a lifetime ago, but at this point, it's ancient technology. Pretty much anything, even the Entech Number-Cruncher (for $50 at various online sites), will be better.
  • 11-18-2006, 04:07 AM
    basite
    yeah, today it's all 24 bit 96 khz dac's, mucho better, more detail, more clarity, better buy one of these ($200 and up)
  • 11-19-2006, 05:17 PM
    kelsci
    I think the one bit deal started with Harmon Kardon. I have one bit dlc in my cld-m90(Pioneer) laser disc player. I could not tell you how it worked but it supposed to be a better scheme to give better audio in the digital domain with CDs. If you have an optical output on your player with a receiver with optical inputs,just run it into your receiver.
  • 11-19-2006, 07:57 PM
    Rock789
    I have used this changer for a couple years with my denon receiver (using the optical out of the cd changer)...

the cd changer has been moved to my bedroom system with a B&K PT3 s2, which does not have an optical input.

if I do any upgrade here, it will be a DAC, and I do have a denon 20bit dac on the way but it has not yet arrived...

if it is worth it, I will spend the money on a good 24bit dac sometime in the future, but not sure if it will be a huge difference?:confused5: