William DX

Greetings all! My Newbie solute.

I was drawn to this forum via search for FM DX antennas (Yagi).

I have a APS-13 near Toledo, OH at 47 feet and have pulled in Cincinatti, OH (180 miles ish).

My wife and I took a "seasonal" campground spot for the weekends, and I was shopping for a more convenient (smaller) FM DX Yagi antenna for the trailer/campground. Something more practicle than a 200 inch APS-13; yet better than the Rat Shack FM-6. Won't be able to have a tower obviously, but am thinking of some kind of telescopic/retractiong method to get the Yagi 25-35 feet above grade in good/calm whether.

Appreciate any ideas....also recommendations for mast mounted low noise pre-amps better than channel-master.

For the record, I love my APS-13, AND agree they are weakly constructed. I'm only 47 feet up (42 foot of tower + mast) and am sheltered from the predominant winds out of the SW with evergreens close by the house. It's been up for 3 years and has survived the NW Ohio ice storms....but as mentioned above, sheltered from direct SW winds.

Another "by the way" for anyone who cares, my box stock Yamaha RX-595 stereo reciever (circa 1997, 0.8 uV sensitivity) performs as well as my Yamaha T-85 "modified if" DX machine for pure distance. The only time the T-85 shines is when there are other strong stations (0.2 - 0.4 Mhz) close by.

OK, back to my original purpose, a decent sized FM DX Yagi for the campground, seen a lot or good words about the Winegard HD6065. (and stacking 2 of them vertically instead of the APS-13 for the same money)???? Don't know the boom length of them, but I think it's safe to say the 6 foot Rat Shack Yagi is more appropriate of a length for what I am planning to do (retract it).

If I haven't put you to sleep with my narrow project....thanks for reading! Any thoughts are welcome.

Bill
    (William DX)

Quote Originally Posted by William DX
    I was drawn to this forum via search for FM DX antennas (Yagi).
    Another "by the way" for anyone who cares, my box stock Yamaha RX-595 stereo reciever (circa 1997, 0.8 uV sensitivity) performs as well as my Yamaha T-85 "modified if" DX machine for pure distance. The only time the T-85 shines is when there are other strong stations (0.2 - 0.4 Mhz) close by.
    Bill
    (William DX)
    Cool, my box stock Yamaha RX-797 stereo reviever (exactly 2009-Dec-25, 1.0 uV sensitivity) only sees radio action 10 am Sat. morning listening to "Car Talk".

My RatShack dipole and 300-to-75 ohm Matching Transformer has to reach only 2 to 5 miles to pick up NPR.

My Dad worked Amature Radio "Field Day". They found the best way to raise an antenna in the woods was to use a spincast fishing rod with a weight. They'd cast the fishing line over a tall branch, the weight brings the line back to the ground. Then tie the fishing line to a strong rope. Then use the rope to raise the antenna.
    Last edited by rakeford; 05-12-2010 at 12:55 PM.
    Philips GA312/ Stanton 681EEE/ Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata ===>>|
    Yamaha DVD-S2700 CD/SACD/DVD >> MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha CDC-765 CD 5 disc >>==== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    JVC TD-W709 Cassette >>======== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha RX-797 Receiver -------------------------------------+
    Sennheiser HD650 Head phones <<===========================<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<L############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##L<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<R############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##R<<|

William DX

Yamaha RX-abc

Thanks Rakeford!

Any Yamaha fan who actually uses the FM tuner function in their receiver has to appreciate the sensitivity/selectivity of the Yamaha RX-abc series (stereo) receiver quality.

In the AV (video) receiver world, RX-Vabc(d), the integrated FM tuners suck. At least that has been my experience for two RX-Vabc models in my experience which is why I have kept the Yamaha Stereo receiver.

Blew a lot of coin on my RX-V2500. Great for switching, surround sound, cranking it up with the Mirage towers, but sucks for FM reception (as did its predicessor, RX-Vabc....forgot the specific model.

In my mind, they should just eliminate the FM tuner from surround receivers. Only a few of us dinosaurs left that listen to FM.

Otis

Thread Information