AR Newbie Registered Member

New to the forums

Hello,

Just introducing myself, Im a college student at UVM in Vermont. This summer I will finally be in the position to bring my stereo equipment to school, as I have been living in the dorms for the past two years, and space was limited such that I couldn't fit any of my equipment at all. Anyway, I'm joining up to expand my knowledge of home audio, mostly because I spend most of my time home on break in my room listening to music! About halfway through highschool my father bought some JBL L100T's, and decided that he still liked his old Advents more, so he just re-coned the Advents, and I scooped up the JBLs! Right now I have them wired to an old Denon, and a slightly newer (but still old) Denon CD player. I am also in the middle of re-coning a pair of Dahlquist bookshelfs that I inherited from my uncle. Anyway, just saying hello, I'm looking forward to learning from everybody.

P

Hi P_easy,

Welcome to AR. Sounds like you have a fairly nice system there. Should be perfect for parties, or just sitting back and listening yourself.

Mike
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Hi P_easy. Welcome. College = drinking beer right? You'll fit right in here.

Oh yeah, a great source of knowledge about everything A/V here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Hi P_easy. Welcome. College = drinking beer right? You'll fit right in here.

Oh yeah, a great source of knowledge about everything A/V here as well.
    I think the drinking age is 21 now. It's not like when we were in college.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Somehow on friday nights, I just mysteriously become 21 (kinda like a werewolf with the full moon)

Anyway, I just edited my sig to contain my current gear with model numbers and such. I like my setup a lot, and yes, it is very,very good for parties. The only complaints that I have about my equipment, is that the JBLs are a bit middy, which can cause some harshness to the sound in combo with the Denon. That's alright though, I had the chance to hook my system up to a Crown amplifier once. Man was that pure joy.

Also, I forgot to mention, my newest prized A/V component is a 32" Samsung I picked up about 4 weeks ago. Unfortunately, I don't have a digital player, so I am running it with a component cable, and the poor quality does occasionally come thru. This TV is AMAZING though, I have recently been watching old Akira Kurosawa movies on it, and watching Toshiro Mifune hack the bad guys up in widescreen is pretty great! It did burn a $600 hole in my pocket though.......
    JBL L100T
    Denon DRA-625RA
    Denon DCD-520

Re-coning Dahlquist DQM-3's

Samsung LN32A450

Forum Regular

New to the Forum--hi

Hi to all,

My name is Larry and I am an audioholic. I seem to have begun the upward spiral and do not know where it will end.

I live in a large townhome upstate NY and own a pair of KEF XQ40's driven by a Marantz PM7001 Integrated Amplifier. I mostly listen to music streamed (lossless format) through my Squeezebox2. I listen to all sorts of music but mainly Classical, Jazz and Blues ...though Classic Rock is a favorite as well.

I am not sure I am getting good advice from my local hifi store so would like to get some input from more knowledgable folks on this Forum.

THanks

Larry

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lreinstein View Post
    Hi to all,

My name is Larry and I am an audioholic. I seem to have begun the upward spiral and do not know where it will end.

I live in a large townhome upstate NY and own a pair of KEF XQ40's driven by a Marantz PM7001 Integrated Amplifier. I mostly listen to music streamed (lossless format) through my Squeezebox2. I listen to all sorts of music but mainly Classical, Jazz and Blues ...though Classic Rock is a favorite as well.

I am not sure I am getting good advice from my local hifi store so would like to get some input from more knowledgable folks on this Forum.

THanks

Larry
    Welcome to the forums Larry!

Choose the appropriate forum and thread and ask away. There are plenty here that would be willing to chime in, certainly. Fwiw, I'm a fan of both Kef and Marantz so it looks like you've got a solid start. Again, welcome...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

To create new threads in this forum my post count must be 5 or greater.

I currently have 0 posts.

I'd like to participate - I'm particularly interested in digital music, network streamers etc.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoNoise View Post
    To create new threads in this forum my post count must be 5 or greater.

I currently have 0 posts.

I'd like to participate - I'm particularly interested in digital music, network streamers etc.
    Welcome to the forums. The category of music downloads and network streamers would be the single largest area of growth for the audio industry. Any comments/observations you have would be most valuable.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular

good profile...

Forum Regular
    hello! nice to find a place where i can talk about equipment

Thread Information