Audio File

Another Newbie Audio Nut...

Hi everyone!

Found this form while perusing links for audio equipment. I have two needs...

1. A preamp/processor - I have absolutely no HDMI switching available to me right now. I want to re-purpose my Denon 2805 for light listening in the home office.

2. A good two channel amp, around 400WPC @ 4 ohms, to drive my front speakers for music and to see some benefits from more power in HT mode vs. driving them with my current 5 channel amp.

My current system:

Denon AVR-2805
    Pioneer BDP-51FD BluRay player
    Panamax 5300 EX power center
    Rotel RMB-1075 5-CH amplifier
    Vienna Acoustics Bach Grand towers
    Vienna Acoustics Maestro Grand center
    Vienna Acoustics Waltz Grand rear surround
    Elemental Designs A5-350 powered subwoofer
    Sonus ZonePlayer 90 + ZoneBridge
    Samsung HL61A750 1080i 61” monitor
    Motorola QIP6200-2 HD/FIOS set top box
    Sony CDP-CX355 CD jukebox

So I am thinking I will go with a Rotel 2 ch amp (RB-1572) or two monoblocks (Emotiva UPA-1) but I am really really drawn to McIntosh equipment. I had some years ago that was "liberated" from my apartment years ago. But geeeez....the dang prices leave me on the outside looking in.

I did find an unbelievable price on a 3-yr old MC402 but I think it's a scam. More on that in a different thread.

So, in closing, let me say I am dang glad to be here and looking forward to learning more about audio equipment!

-Michael
    Seeking Audio Nirvana

RGA
    Forum Regular
    personally I'd avoid McIntosh other than their tube only designs. Which then don't give you the power you want - plus IMO they're grossly overpriced - you pay for the looks and the casework.

Since you already own Rotel you can consider their big power amps - Rotel offers big watt ratings for little money relatively speaking. They'd be some of my first considerations if I desired high watts for decent prices and from a name reputable company that will likely be around in 5-10 years if you need parts. You never know with newer companies without a track record.

for the processor I would probably stick to the least expensive receiver you can find that ALSO has pre-outs so that you can add your power amp to it. They generally cost less than processors and when some new feature comes out you are out a lot less money when you want to upgrade.

On the power amp side I would peruse Grant Fidelity's website - Build quality is first rate and they have big time power amplifiers.

You may want to look at the massive Shengya SS power amplifiers - they're beasts. $4,000 for the pair but they look to be very good - Another reviewer at dagogo.com reviewed the biggest ones and I reviewed the smaller power amps but these might be the ones to consider in a SS only set-up - can easily drive 2 ohm loads.

From their site:

Shengya PSM-300 monoblocks are constructed with 24 high performance transistors, 1500 watts shielded transformers, 120,000 uF filter capacitors and huge aluminum heat sink for each channel. It can easily drive 2 ohm impedance speakers and can put out 100 watts in Class A mode and 300 watts in Class A/B mode.

Features:

* Class A or Class A/B switch button
    * Bi-wiring speaker connectors
    * 1 set RCA / 1 set XLR inputs

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Shengy...iers-pair.html

Audio File
    Thank you for that insight, RGA.

I hadn't thought about using a medium priced AVR as the pre/pro. I am doing that now with the Denon but without any HDMI capability.

I think I'll do a little research on today's AVR's.

Dang, those Shengya's are quite the amp pair!

Thanks again!
    Seeking Audio Nirvana

I would look into getting one of last year's receivers. Most of them have 99% of what this year's models have at 1/2 the cost. The Yamaha RX-V867 looks like a great deal at $400 right now Newegg.com - YAMAHA RX-V867 7.2-Channel Digital Network Home Theater Receiver
    Coupled with an Emotiva XPA-2 Two Channel Audio Power Amplifier, 300 watts RMS x 2 into 8 ohms, 500 watts RMS x 2 into 4 ohms, at $799 would knock most people's socks off.
    Emotiva Audio XPA-2 Two Channel Power Amplifier
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Wudd up

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Hello am from India and am glad to be a part of this website.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Hi,

This is Ritesh from India, feeling great to be a part of this wonderful community. Searching some good and valuable information here regarding my audio and lighting equipments search.

Will be glad if I found something interesting topic here to add my knowledge base and will also share my info about audio and lighting equipments experiences.

Thanks
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 12-13-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Thread Information