Y-Connector Questions

Printable View

  • 01-08-2007, 05:53 PM
    Y-Connector Questions
    I would like to hook up another amp to my intergrated NAD 3400 but I am already using the pre outs to provide my sub with signal. I know that I can use a y adapter to gain another set of outputs but I am curious; Does splitting the signal have an effect on the total output, I mean do you lose signal by splitting it? How many times can you split it, can you put two y's together to get three, three y's together to get four? The amp I am looking at is the NAD 2400 and I know it is not daisy-chain capable (no pre out). All answers will bw appreciated!
  • 01-08-2007, 06:34 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Just watch your impedances. If your input impedance on your two devices receiving the feed from the preamp (I.E. the sub and the second amp) are (a) approximately the same, and (b) reasonable in value compared to the output impedance of your pre, then you're fine. I say approximately the same because I believe that will affect your levels (if, for example, the input impedance of one is 10 times higher than the other, then it will be quieter than the other device). I think, someone feel free to correct me on that.
  • 01-08-2007, 07:08 PM
    How will I know the impedences of these amps, the sub amp and the NAD amp its not like they're speakers
  • 01-08-2007, 07:35 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    They should still be listed in the specs. For example, this page (downloadable PDF) yields that your pre-outs' output impedance are 600 ohms. And see how it says input impedance for your line level inputs is 50 kilo-ohms? You're looking for something like that on the plate amp. Then, just keep that information handy with you as you go shopping for your second amp. If it's the same as the plate amp on your subwoofer, and they're both reasonable, then you're golden.

    The reason it's sometimes a bad idea is because you get a gross incongruity between the two. That's why sometimes an active buffer will help. For example, if you get sold on a particular amp that you want to get, you can still make it work -- just get something like a Musical Fidelity X-10D or two and stick them between the pre-outs and the two other components.
  • 01-08-2007, 08:12 PM
    I got some of the same question...
    I've got 3 amps, 2 are running in balanced - 2 rca outputs per channel - one is reversed, so it's a push pull setup. one amp for each channel. I'd like to add the other amp as a sub amp, I was wondering what would be the best way to do it, they all have the exact same impedance.

    I was thinking something like this:

    _left amp +
    rca+ left -< _
    sub input left
    rca- left - left amp-

    _right amp+
    rca+right -< _
    sub input right
    rca-right - right amp-
    worried about the balanced output not being balanced anymore.. any ideas?
  • 01-08-2007, 11:06 PM
    Can you run your sub off you speaker output's as High level outs? Most decent subs will have connections for this. Then you can free up your preamp outs. If your not sure then check with your manufacturer or local audio store.
  • 01-09-2007, 12:52 AM
    It's a passive sub, the amp I want to use only has rca inputs. I'd like to avoid the line level devices, the ones I've seen were not very impressive.
  • 01-09-2007, 07:20 AM
    I found this output device: http://www.extron.com/product/produc...&version=print
    Its called an EXTRON MDA 5A RCA it has one rca input (balanced or unbalanced) and five RCA outputs. They also offer an EXTRON MDA 3A RCA which has one input and three outputs. They have alot of technical specifications which I'm not really familar with so please check it out and see what ya'll think. The other thing is I can't find any price on this thing, any help would be appreciated thanks, I think this would help myself as well as aevans.
  • 01-09-2007, 07:29 AM
    It looks like the EXTRON MDA 3A RCA lists for $190, but I have not had any luck finding a retailer.