Worth the price ($0)?

Printable View

• 01-09-2008, 04:09 PM
    Stereomaniac
    Worth the price ($0)?
    I have a Kyocera receiver powering a pair of Phase Tech V-10s. I currently have some Monster Cable XP clear jacket speaker cable (10 foot runs). I am happy with the sound. This cable is a replacement of my original, 1987 MC which oxidizied. The XP cable is about 16 gauge which is causing problems getting connectors (banana) to fit/crimp. I crimped Tributaries bananas on the amp end, but even after doubling the cable over I cracked two bananas when crimping because the wire was too small. I left the speaker ends bare wire. I like using connectors because it slows down the oxidation process. Connectors seem to be designed for 12 gauge.

Monster will exchange the XP for their Monster Clear Jacket cable (12 gauge) for free. This would reduce my cable resistance and make it much easier to find bananas that fit. The cables both have a LPE dielectric and flux tube (not to be confused with the flux capacitor which enables time travel):) .

A stereo dealer told me that 16 gauge is the ideal cable size because it minimizes skin effect and gives the cleanest sound and advised me not to do it. Going larger will just increase the bass he said.

Any thoughts or suggestions (especially about what the stereo dealer told me)? Should I just keep what I have or take advantage of Monster's generousity?
  • 01-11-2008, 12:56 AM
    Kaboom
    i really don't think you'll notice much, if any at all, difference in sound between the cable gauges...
    the 12 gauge will make your life easier, if i were you i'd get it.
    cheers!
  • 01-11-2008, 07:48 AM
    Stereomaniac
    That is the direction I am leaning towards. It would just be the annoyance of having to send it in and wait. No sound system for three weeks!

Any thoughts on why the dealer was so high on 16 gauge cable? I have not found another speaker cable company that advocates a wire guge that small.