AR Newbie Registered Member

new home cabling

I am building a new house and would like to run a some cables (ethernet, speakers, rg6) to some hard to reach places before the sheet rock is install. The house frame, roof, plumbing and gas lines are done. Not sure if it's too early now to run my own cables or should I wait a bit longer. Maybe after the electrical is done.

more detail info:
    two story house, media room upstair, home office downstair, gameroom upstair.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

cheers,
    Marcus

As long as your not in the way of the tradepeople go for it .I bought an older house and it was a pain to feed the lines .I needed to remove part of basement ceiling Once you have power to some receptical you'll have music Make sure you have dedicate receptacle only for your sound system.You might also look on having a surge protector at panel box(ask the electrician) Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    As long as your not in the way of the tradepeople go for it .

And don't do anything that will get the ire of the building inspector up.....because he will then go blame the tradespeople. They, inturn, will most likely tear out your handy-work and perhaps then quit.

-Bruce

I second the dedicated electric circuit but I think I would wait until the electrician and everyone else is done to run your wire. I have run wires before and found out after the sheetrock was up that they had been damaged by someone else installing other equipment. I would vote to play it safe. Remember not to wait too late and miss your opportunity to get your wires installed, Jeff
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusvb
    I am building a new house and would like to run a some cables (ethernet, speakers, rg6) to some hard to reach places before the sheet rock is install. The house frame, roof, plumbing and gas lines are done. Not sure if it's too early now to run my own cables or should I wait a bit longer. Maybe after the electrical is done.

more detail info:
    two story house, media room upstair, home office downstair, gameroom upstair.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

cheers,
    Marcus
    1. Wait till the electric is in.

2. Buy a kilofoot of cat5e, put it everywhere, and 3 or 4 extra's to the attic, coiled in the basement..

3. Add thermostat lines, 5 6 or 7 wire, to master bedroom. put a cat5e with it. If you use a box, you may find the thermostat does not cover the box hole..

4. Add telephone runs. 4 cond stuff, everywhere. Put a cat5e with them.

If you use the plastic boxes, you can nail them normally and let the sheetrockers open the holes...or, you can flush the boxes to the studs so the rockers don't need to open a hole. If you flush them, use a VERY big sign over the ones you don't want exposed. And, hope the rocker can read english. (as a sidebar...if they cut the holes, then tape and paint them over, you can use a halloween flashlight with a jack-o-lantern top (don't ask) to cast a light along the wall surface to see where the repaired opening bulges a little bit).

And if you flush the boxes with wires coiled in for future use, take pictures and measurements so you know where they are years down the road..oh, and btw, PUT FILM IN THE CAMERA!!!! (don't ask)

5. If studs are 2 by 4, you may want to plate them where the wires are drilled through. This will prevent the rockers from penetrating the wires with a screw.

6. Run a blank 12/3 to the attic for future A/C use. Also a non committed 7 wire thermostat wire, and of course, another cat5e run..or 2, or 3.

When you are finished, you can take the rest of the box of cat5e and store it in the basement, next to the 75 coils of cat5e that come from the rest of the house...again, don't ask..

Enjoy

Cheers, John

Thread Information