Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face SACD Recommended Cables - 2 Channel

High everyone,

I'm usually in lurk mode but thought I'd ask all you pros as to what would be appropriate Super Audio CD component cables.

I'd like to have a few suggestions please. I'm making my first moves into SACD with a recent purchase of a Sony SCD-333ES deck.

But I'd hate to just use any ole' cable. Are there hi-end cables made specifically for SACD applications?

Or since the C333 is mainly a two-channel SACD player, would I just consider any hi-end audiphile RCA cables that would otherwise be used for CD decks also of higher end level.

I am really in lo-fi right now, meaning I don't have a spectacular amplifier. I'll be connecting it into an older, late 80's, early 90's AKAI receiver - but pretty decent and sounds great to me. Its model number AA-V435 using older 4-way Pioneer Floor speakers. Not in a higher realm of audio playback but still, to me, its a very honest sounding setup.

I was looking into Straight Wire cables and maybe Cardas but not sure.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

A few things to consider...

Quote Originally Posted by Modernaire
    High everyone,

I'm usually in lurk mode but thought I'd ask all you pros as to what would be appropriate Super Audio CD component cables.

I'd like to have a few suggestions please. I'm making my first moves into SACD with a recent purchase of a Sony SCD-333ES deck.

But I'd hate to just use any ole' cable. Are there hi-end cables made specifically for SACD applications?

Or since the C333 is mainly a two-channel SACD player, would I just consider any hi-end audiphile RCA cables that would otherwise be used for CD decks also of higher end level.

I am really in lo-fi right now, meaning I don't have a spectacular amplifier. I'll be connecting it into an older, late 80's, early 90's AKAI receiver - but pretty decent and sounds great to me. Its model number AA-V435 using older 4-way Pioneer Floor speakers. Not in a higher realm of audio playback but still, to me, its a very honest sounding setup.

I was looking into Straight Wire cables and maybe Cardas but not sure.

Monster and a few other companies make RCA cables that are "SACD" bundles, which means very little except they are labled with each of the channels making it nice for Identificiation purposes, the only problem is that as a bundle they are massive all together (6 cables for 5.1 use). They are also about $150-$250. I'd recommend just getting some decent RCA's that are a bit thinner in order to save the bulkiness, I am using White Zombie Audio, which work very well.

Sorry but with your system it really doesnt matter much what cables you use.
    Overall monsters are nice, but get the inexpensive ones.
    I have a samsung dvd that plays sacd really well, "its why I have it) but you need really nice equipment to be able to tell the difference between sacd and really nice CD's
    Theres also some doubt as to weather or not sacd ( or its sister in a bad birth, DVD audio) will survive , which I would say serves em right for the greedheaded decisions
    thaT led to the mess modern high end sound is in these days, except that played right both are exelent ways to listen to music.
    Problem is that the audiophiles are listening to their "vinyl" and insisting that modern tech isnt as good as "their" records, living in the past and muttering go away to the modern world, and most others want the convience of compressed audio, mp3's that "sound just like CDS'!
    So who's left to support this format or DVD audio?
    There might be a hundred true music lovers who are true audiophiles who love music
    as faithfully reproduced as possible, for whom sitting around and listening to equpment from the early 1950's isnt the best thing in the world
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

I appreciate the advice so far. I really like Peruvian Skies advice. Peruvian, so is White Zombie pretty good?

They sort of seam like "extreme racing" cables if you know what I mean. Sort of over the top flash...are they made well? Sound good?

I forgot to mention and I am in no way being a audiosnob here but Monster is just not the way I want to go. I dont want cables I can go into Best Buy and buy. I want something thats specialty and that will be specifically or at least near to the level of the SACD application.

Pixelthis, I dont want to get into a boring debate over vinyl, but I LOVE vinyl. There are the classic reasons why I love vinyl, but lately I've realized one more, that opening myself up to vinyl or SACD even, opens up more opportunities to hear and enjoy music. The more music listening opportunities and possibilities of discovery, the better.

Im in agreement to MP3's, Im phasing out all my MP3's for original CD or lossless and of course SACD.

And yes, my system is very humble. But it sounds fabulous, to me, the wanna-be. But slowly and surely Im elevating certain things which this SACD player is, the first step. I just want to do things correcly and not cheesily. I should share a photo of my setup.

Thanks very much and I hope other can give me a few more options and the pros and cons, etc.

Whatever cables you buy, also spend ten bucks for some Caig DeoxIT contact cleaner. Even the very best gold and rhodium plated cables will accumulate oxidation that will add grunge to the sound. Regularly clean (every six months for me) not only all your cable contacts, but the jacks on various components as well.

Good luck!

rw

yep yep yep...

I appreciate the advice so far. I really like Peruvian Skies advice. Peruvian, so is White Zombie pretty good?

They sort of seam like "extreme racing" cables if you know what I mean. Sort of over the top flash...are they made well? Sound good?

I forgot to mention and I am in no way being a audiosnob here but Monster is just not the way I want to go. I dont want cables I can go into Best Buy and buy. I want something thats specialty and that will be specifically or at least near to the level of the SACD application.

Pixelthis, I dont want to get into a boring debate over vinyl, but I LOVE vinyl. There are the classic reasons why I love vinyl, but lately I've realized one more, that opening myself up to vinyl or SACD even, opens up more opportunities to hear and enjoy music. The more music listening opportunities and possibilities of discovery, the better.

Im in agreement to MP3's, Im phasing out all my MP3's for original CD or lossless and of course SACD.

And yes, my system is very humble. But it sounds fabulous, to me, the wanna-be. But slowly and surely Im elevating certain things which this SACD player is, the first step. I just want to do things correcly and not cheesily. I should share a photo of my setup.

Thanks very much and I hope other can give me a few more options and the pros and cons, etc.

WhiteZombie Audio is really really good. They are handcrafted and not only do they look nice, but are built very well with locking RCA connectors and they use pure silver instead of gold or other metals. Another thing that I like is that while they are constructed very well, the cables still have flexibility, which is great when working with 6 just for analog 5.1. I have been very happy with the performance of these cables as well and was glad to support what seems like a smaller company versus a big company that mass produces everything, you can tell that the WhiteZombie cables are made by hand with real people. They can be pricy too, but I found mine on eBay as a bundle set, and they were straight from WhiteZombie and were NOT used, just a special they had going on. Cost also depends on length, I wanted 3ft cables or shorter because I didn't want huge bulky cable lengths.

Another place to consider might be Cobalt Cable, they make an SACD bundle pack, but I can't give any feedback on them for this particular cable, although I have bought their speaker cables and HDMI cables before and I can say that they are seriously well built and sound quite nice too.

Keep it basic

High everyone,

SACD-to-amp cables aren't different from any other analog cables, as you aware. I don't recommend going nuts when it comes to cables; only those with the most expensive components can justify spending a lot on cables. The rest of use would are away better off spending the cash on the components themselves -- not to mention on music.

My standard recommendation for interconnects is Blue Jeans Cable. They deliver professional grade, no BS product ...
    http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Linear Guy

Feanor nailed it

and here's a couple more suggestions: . Audioquest Diamondback, used 1M pair might run upto 50-60 bucks. If you must spend up to 100.00, the suggestions offered here have been excellent and I would add Anti-Cables IC at about 100.00 pair. Don't spend anymore than that. Enjoy that new player!

nightflier
    Modernaire,

I also don't think you should worry about your system being any less than others. I have seen systems costing thousands more but sounding really bad because of other factors such as speaker placement, equalization, vibrations, you name it. Anyhow, it sounds like you are planning to upgrade different components over time, which is the best way to do it since it gives one time to really evaluate the investments. Maybe your question should be rephrased with the idea that you will one day have top-of-the-line Boulder/Wadia/Sonus equipment - I'm sure the responses will be more complimentary. Anyhow...

Regarding cables, Feanor & PeruvianSkies, pretty much said it already. Since the 5.1 SACD connectors are pure analog, the cables do not need to be digital/video type RCA cables. The Audioquest Diamondbacks are decent as well, although I think that a 6-piece set will be a bit more than $60, even used.

Generally speaking, look for cables that are well-made with solidly attached connectors and, if possible, individually tested/inspected before they are shipped out, which typically implies a smaller manufacturer. I use a set of cables from Heartland Cables: handmade and very stiff, which sound fine, but that stiffness is a bit problematic as it puts undue stress on the RCA jacks. If your jacks are attached to a plastic bezel on the back of your components, then you definitely would want to stick to less stiff cables. In that case, take a gander at Mapleshade's Clearview cables (http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/aud...rconnects.php). Pierre Sprey, the owner, has an interesting perspective on cables.

Personally, I would prefer to find a small mom&pop shop and build a relationship as I buy cables from them over time. This way they will better understand my needs and should be able to provide better service. A good company/owner will be more interested in keeping you as a customer over time rather than making a quick buck from you the first time.

stiffer....

One thing that I don't particularly like about AudioQuest (IN THIS INSTANCE ONLY) is that their cables tend to be stiffer and harder to manage for SACD application. I had my SACD player connected first with MONSTER then w/ AudioQuest and I can honestly say that both were pretty good, but they were too stiff and bulky, but the WhiteZombie's are much easier to manage and I also feel that they enable my components to sound about as good as they can. I don't particularly subscribe to the theory that cables 'do' something to the sound, but they can carry the signal more accurately between sources.

I can't believe no one here has recommended one from Radio Shack.
    Get one with thick black jackets with gold plated connectors. I can't remember what they called, but they are not bad. Even the one with Red/White Plastic connectors sound pretty good. Just remember to buy a pair with thich black jackets.

I have a pair for my TT setup. I was going to purchase a pair of 15' BlueRacer, but decided to save my money. I'm glad I did, cuz they sounds good in my setup. Sound wise, it is on a brighter side. But since I'm working with TTs and 12 tubes, my music is singing.
    All I need now is time for music..

If you are struggling to save up couple hundred dollar like me, then save up for a bigger purchase.
    I'm gonna go subwoofer shopping this weekend, and I'm glad I didnt spend $2-300 on a pair of IC. Cuz if I did, I would be sitting at home tomorrow.

Did you perhaps READ anything on this thread???

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I can't believe no one here has recommended one from Radio Shack.
    Get one with thick black jackets with gold plated connectors. I can't remember what they called, but they are not bad. Even the one with Red/White Plastic connectors sound pretty good. Just remember to buy a pair with thich black jackets.

I have a pair for my TT setup. I was going to purchase a pair of 15' BlueRacer, but decided to save my money. I'm glad I did, cuz they sounds good in my setup. Sound wise, it is on a brighter side. But since I'm working with TTs and 12 tubes, my music is singing.
    All I need now is time for music..

If you are struggling to save up couple hundred dollar like me, then save up for a bigger purchase.
    I'm gonna go subwoofer shopping this weekend, and I'm glad I didnt spend $2-300 on a pair of IC. Cuz if I did, I would be sitting at home tomorrow.
    Hmm I wonder if the reason why no one mentioned RadioShack has something to do with the original posters comment like this...

I forgot to mention and I am in no way being a audiosnob here but Monster is just not the way I want to go. I dont want cables I can go into Best Buy and buy
    I am guessing if he doesn't want to go to BB than Radioshack is probably out of the question as well.

And yes, my system is very humble. But it sounds fabulous, to me, the wanna-be. But slowly and surely Im elevating certain things which this SACD player is, the first step. I just want to do things correcly and not cheesily.
    I think you made a great decidion to purchase the Sony.
    Personally, I dont think it's logical to spend $100+ on a pair of IC if you are on a slow quest for higher systems. But if you are pleased with your system then I guess IC would be the final purchase. Just my 2 Yen.

I have to agree with JRH...

I'm sure the system sounds great... but is it really capable of the kind of resolution where pricy cables are going to make much difference? Cables can be changed to slightly tweak a system more to your liking. Why buy pricy ones for a system that won't benefit from them? Why buy a tweak item first for a system that's going to get some major upgrades and might end up sounding a little better tweaked by a different pricy cable?

I don't see anything wrong with a suggestion to not spend more cash than necessary or not mess with cables before the system's complete. The poster can take it or leave it. The Radio Shack Gold Series and Monster Cable Standard 100 interconnects are high-quality, heavy gauge, pure copper interconnects with good shielding and gold plated connectors. They're pretty neutral and probably more than adequate for the job. Better sounding than some of Monster's more expensive designs ("time aligned" and such) and some other pricier (but thin) cables I've heard IMO.

An opportunity to solicit and share multiple and different opinions on things audio is what this site is all about. Beating somebody up for trying to be helpful and simply offering their opinion is not called for... especially when their opinion makes some sense...
    Last edited by royphil345; 05-13-2007 at 10:42 PM.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

i have always found that kimber PBJs

sounded great between the CDP and preamp so thats what i use. it seems like any cable that sounds good with analog signals would be fine here.
    ...regards...tr

Forum Regular
    Mordernaire,
    So like me and many others, once you are into cables, there's no way we can talk you out. It is like, you desperately into a girl and we are as your friend trying to talk you out (heheheh). So here's few thing you can try before buying a new set of IC for your SuperAudio player. I'm sure you have many diff RCA cables around the house, take them all in, set them up and audition them one by one just so you can hear differences between them all including the yellow one, yes, I know, it's for video. By now, you are pretty much know what diff each individual cable can make, if there's any, and what is your whole system is capable of.

With expensive cables, people tend to love'em, maybe not because of the sound improvement that expensive cables can deliver but because of the fact that we finally can afford one, or to decide to put much more efforts into. Also, to see the impressions from friends and wife everytime we take them to the back and point it out to them.... even though they may have no clue what we talk about, hehehe.

My $200 IC (KimberKable, Silver Streak 147)) seems to open up the sound spectrum a little meaning I can hear a little more high freq, a little clearer if I could say.The mid and low freq seem to be more enjoyable. I love mine but it is very important to understand that my whole system system is diff with yours. So for the grand Q, which IC cable is best for your SuperAudio player? :...Tthere's so many of them out there to chose from, but gladly we have ppl in here that have tried and can recommand a few. I personally can only advice you that if you plan to keep your SA player for a long time, do not spend money on the cable more than over 10% total price of the player. Since it is hot topic, let's make it 20%, hehehe. Check out www.NeedleDoctor.com There's collection of cables that may fit in your class.
    Last edited by gjpham; 06-10-2007 at 12:23 PM.

Well, you areally aren't open to anything other than wasting your money.

What I use...

I've been using WhiteZombie Audio cables for well over a year now and have been incredibly satisfied with them. I began using them after being unimpressed with Monster SACD cables, BetterCables, AudioQuest cables, and generic cables. The reason that I love the WhiteZombie cables is fairly simple. They are handmade and there is craftsmanship that goes into the cable. They are not mass produced like many other companies. These cables are the most flexible cables, which are great for SACD application where you need a few and they also have a LOK connector on each end to ensure that the connection is secure and stable. They also have 3 models to choose from with a small difference in the actual construction material, but you can't really go wrong with them and they are relatively affordable, especially for 2.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I've been using WhiteZombie Audio cables for well over a year now and have been incredibly satisfied with them.....
    Oh yeah, they look nice; probably cost over $100 for a pair?

Quote Originally Posted by gjpham
    Oh yeah, they look nice; probably cost over $100 for a pair?
    I don't know...depends on the length and the series that you go with. You can also find eBAy specials on them, they are new, not used. I think $88/pair is what I recall paying.

Transparent Audio.

Musiclink - the basic in the line, but still much better than most cables
    MusicLink Plus - Better, more focus, detail, bass and high frequency extension
    Either of these are a great choice on a budget. They will cost about 125.00 - 150.00 per 1m pair on the used market but there worth it. Better than anything Monster has. I know I used to use all Monster Cable.

Got more money and want to start the madness?
    Transparent MusicLink Super - Will destroy 99.9% of cables out there
    Transparent Ultra - massive bass, just like the name very transparent but hideously expensive.
    Purist Audio. I own one of their digital cables. Its amusing. I never thought that there could be a difference in digital cables. I have several 'average good digital coax cables from MIT, Monster, and even Transparent's basic digital cable. The Purist audio cable makes them all sound broken. Mind you Tranparents Premium digital Cable is awesome too...

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Transparent Audio.

Musiclink - the basic in the line, but still much better than most cables
    Really? Have comparative measurements for those?

Transparent Ultra - massive bass, just like the name very transparent but hideously expensive.
    So what this actually means is that the highs really suck.

-Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Musiclink - the basic in the line, but still much better than most cables.

Purist Audio. The Purist audio cable makes them all sound broken.
    I find it fascinating that sometimes a passive component (like a piece of wire and insulator) seem to have more pronounce impact on music reproduction than active components like amp, DAC or even speakers does.

It makes one wonder......

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    I find it fascinating that sometimes a passive component (like a piece of wire and insulator) seem to have more pronounce impact on music reproduction than active components like amp, DAC or even speakers does.

It makes one wonder......
    My take on things is that cables should be a neutral item, only accurately passing the signal and to me, the ones that I am using do that the best vs. what I had before. Therefore, IT sounds better meaning my entire system and the cables are making a difference, but that's not because they are 'altering the sound', but rather accurately representing the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    My take on things is that cables should be a neutral item, only accurately passing the signal and to me, the ones that I am using do that the best vs. what I had before. Therefore, IT sounds better meaning my entire system and the cables are making a difference, but that's not because they are 'altering the sound', but rather accurately representing the sound.
    If you think about it, that argument can go both ways.

For example, if a cable is neutral and accurately passing the signal, then why some reviews spend half of page describing the “sound” of cable. Theoretically, a neutral or transparent cable is soundless

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information