Some low-cost I/C comparisons

I don't comment a lot on cables but since "a forum member" was so kind as to lend me a pair of Transparent The Link interconnects, I figured I ought to post my impressions. I thank that member very much for the loan; the comparisons I did were informative.

I compared the Transparent to some cables I had on hand: the following is the comparison list. All were 3 foot or 1 meter unless otherwise stated.

• Transparent The Link
    • QED Unex 2, (0.5 meter; solid core)
    • Blue Jeans Cable / Beldon 1505F, (stranded)
    • Kimber PBJ, (solid core, branded/unshielded)
    • Ixos 1004, (stranded)

These are all what most audiophiles would consider low cost interconnects; the Kimber PBJ are probably the most expensive at somewhere <$200. The BJC are the cheapest. These particular QED and Ixos models are no longer sold; I have owned them for over a decade.

My comparisons were all done with a small number of classical orchestral, choral, and chamber pieces in downloaded hi-rez formats, (24/88.2 or 24/96).

Differences between these cables was small BUT I think I detected some differences. (I'm not saying that I could tell which was which in a blind test -- that's another matter.)

Probably my favorite was the Transparent; it was airy, highs were extended but not too bright, and bass was excellent. Next was the QED: it was airy, had great bass, and extended by slightly bright highs. There wasn't a whole lot to choose among the rest. They were all slightly rolled off in the highs and a bit less airy than the Transparent or QED. The Ixos were a bit rolled off in the bass as well.

I have to emphasis that all differences were very small and impressionist on my part -- I might have been tricked by short audio memory span and/or my own mood or imagination. My advice remains that people with entry and mid-level equipment ought to spend their money on other components rather than interconnects >$100.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    It is fun to hear the differences in IC's but I would suggest you leave the Transparent IC in your system for awhile. Once you hear it over a period of time then change IC's and the differences will be greater IMHO. Hearing a difference and hearing over time what will be the most musical IC can be interesting.

By the way the PBJ is a stranded cable and not solid core. I owned PBJ's along with 4VS speaker cables and they had all the problems I do not like with stranded cables.

Glad you are enjoying cable discoveries. They can add to an already good system.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    It is fun to hear the differences in IC's but I would suggest you leave the Transparent IC in your system for awhile. Once you hear it over a period of time then change IC's and the differences will be greater IMHO. Hearing a difference and hearing over time what will be the most musical IC can be interesting.

By the way the PBJ is a stranded cable and not solid core. I owned PBJ's along with 4VS speaker cables and they had all the problems I do not like with stranded cables.

Glad you are enjoying cable discoveries. They can add to an already good system.
    I'll take the advice, thank you. I suspect with cables it's the same as with, say, opamps. If your compare two that are generally similar, you won't notice a difference, but if you compare two that are at tthe two extremes of a particular characteristic, the difference will be fairly obvious.

Do you know if the Transparent are solid core? One thing I don't like about them is that he connectors are brutally tight; it makes me afraid that I might damage something especially when removing them.

I'd assumed that the PBJ were solid core because they are relatively stiff: the Kimber site doesn't say.

Suspended
    Transparent is fairly quiet on design specifics but I'm almost positive they are not solid core.

It would be interesting to find my old post when I first got some BJC and compared them to IXO, Transparent, Radio Shack and Siltech. As memory serves we have similar observations, I found the BJC to be rolled off some on the high end, the Transparent to have better bass and extended top end, I can't remember if they were a tie on mids. I'm not sure which IXO I had but I hated it finding it to be very unbalanced with almost no bottom end to speak of. I found differences to be more apparent then you from what I read in to your post, however, I compared the cables using Sennheiser HD600's and a CDP into the Musical Fidelity X-can. Siltech was the clear winner but it was also the most expensive of the group I compared.

I know, cables can make a valuable improvement but rather than saying "you must" or "don't bother", I would tell any one interested to try for themselves and you make up your own mind whether you hear enough improvement to spend the money.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    I don't comment a lot on cables but since "a forum member" was so kind as to lend me a pair of Transparent The Link interconnects, I figured I ought to post my impressions. I thank that member very much for the loan; the comparisons I did were informative.

I compared the Transparent to some cables I had on hand: the following is the comparison list. All were 3 foot or 1 meter unless otherwise stated.

• Transparent The Link
    • QED Unex 2, (0.5 meter; solid core)
    • Blue Jeans Cable / Beldon 1505F, (stranded)
    • Kimber PBJ, (solid core, branded/unshielded)
    • Ixos 1004, (stranded)

These are all what most audiophiles would consider low cost interconnects; the Kimber PBJ are probably the most expensive at somewhere <$200. The BJC are the cheapest. These particular QED and Ixos models are no longer sold; I have owned them for over a decade.

My comparisons were all done with a small number of classical orchestral, choral, and chamber pieces in downloaded hi-rez formats, (24/88.2 or 24/96).

Differences between these cables was small BUT I think I detected some differences. (I'm not saying that I could tell which was which in a blind test -- that's another matter.)

Probably my favorite was the Transparent; it was airy, highs were extended but not too bright, and bass was excellent. Next was the QED: it was airy, had great bass, and extended by slightly bright highs. There wasn't a whole lot to choose among the rest. They were all slightly rolled off in the highs and a bit less airy than the Transparent or QED. The Ixos were a bit rolled off in the bass as well.

I have to emphasis that all differences were very small and impressionist on my part -- I might have been tricked by short audio memory span and/or my own mood or imagination. My advice remains that people with entry and mid-level equipment ought to spend their money on other components rather than interconnects >$100.
    I wish I had known you were doing the shoot out. I have a pair of Moon Audio Silver Dragons that I'm not using right now, that I would have liked to throw into the mix.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Feanor, you might want to try some well recorded Jazz to test out the cables. I found that is the best music to hear the subtle different nuances in cables and tubes.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I wish I had known you were doing the shoot out. I have a pair of Moon Audio Silver Dragons that I'm not using right now, that I would have liked to throw into the mix.
    Aren't those Silver Dragons in higher price category the the ones I mentioned? That might make it an unfair comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Feanor, you might want to try some well recorded Jazz to test out the cables. I found that is the best music to hear the subtle different nuances in cables and tubes.
    I could try it; I have small jazz collect that includes some quite good recordings.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Aren't those Silver Dragons in higher price category the the ones I mentioned? That might make it an unfair comparison.
    You're right. I was thinking what I paid for them. I forgot that I found them on sale. The Blue Dragons would fit better in your test sample.

Thread Information