Forum Regular

Monster Video 3 Component Video Cable - Worth the investment?

I just purchased an HD cable receiver and was told by the salesmen that I would need a high quality set of cables to connect it to my 7 year old "antique" ProScan PS32800HR Hi-Res digital TV. I was disappointed to discover that the maximum resolution I could achieve though the component input was 480i.

According to the salesman, a cheaper cable would limit the resolution to the point where I would not even be getting the 480i output in to my television.

Was it really worth spending $160.00 on a high-end cable or, considering the the limited resolution available, would the cables supplied with the HD receiver been OK. I've always been leery about the investing large sums of money for cables, even on my audio system, but I gather there must be reasons why it's worth the extra cash. The key question is how much should one invest in cables, considering the quality of the equipment and what benefits can be expected.

Any comments would be appreciated.

If your TV only supports 480i resolution than the HD cable box is pointless. Also, in this situation, the component cables are overpriced and useless as well. If your interested in HD than it's time for a new display.

How much you spend on cables is kind of a tough question, since we all have our different opinions. I've steered away from expensive cables and have discovered that well made, quality cables do not have to cost so much $$$$.

Forum Regular
    Hey L..J.
    Don't I require a cable box (HD or other) to convert the analog signal to digital? There does seem to be an improvement in the image, even if it's only 480i. The fact I am connecting the cable box through the component input on the TV must be an improvement over the co-ax connection. Also, I can only access my cable companies' added features with a cable box.

The fact that the box is HD will be welcome when I upgrade to a new flat-screen TV.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by walligator
    Hey L..J.
    Don't I require a cable box (HD or other) to convert the analog signal to digital? There does seem to be an improvement in the image, even if it's only 480i. The fact I am connecting the cable box through the component input on the TV must be an improvement over the co-ax connection. Also, I can only access my cable companies' added features with a cable box.

The fact that the box is HD will be welcome when I upgrade to a new flat-screen TV.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Yeah, a box is required for certain services, I was just commenting on needing an HDTV to take full advantage of an HD box. You plan on getting an HDTV so it's all good. You could also consider using HDMI in the future if your box supports it. This eliminates the conversion and gives you an all digital connection.

Also check out bluejeanscable, when looking for cables. Very good cables for a decent price.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

I'm not LJ, nor do I play him on TV, but...

Odds are that your cable box allows you to access the digital stations your cable provider offers, along with other features only available thru a propriatary cable box, such as on-demand or interactive menus.

And,I'd say that you'e getting a better signal for that reason as opposed to using the component connection. IOW, composite passes 480i just fine.

I have a 5 year old Proscan 32" with a small digital (non-HD) cable box (Comcast/Motorola) and this provides a much, much better video signal than when I simply fed the cable into the TV's internal tuner and availed myself oftheir analog programming.

I think, at this time*, you'll find that the composite (yellow jack) connection works just as well as the three component connections.

* Now, when you go HD it'll be a different story. For 720/1080 you'll definitely need at least component from the box to the TV, depending on your cable box.

Suspended
    I have noticed improved picture quality with better cables but in your case I think they over sold you. HDMI is becoming the standard for HD so your component may become obsolete before long. I'd take them back and get your money. You would do just as good with a decent quality composite. Component does offer an advantage because it separates the luminance and color but with your 480i set I wonder if you'd notice the difference. Besides that if you want component I have a Monster component set THX certified I've never used I'd sell you for $40.00 and you pay shipping. I would have returned when I realized I couldn't use them for the application I bought them for but guess who got ahead of themselves and threw the package away.

Forum Regular

Thanks for the offer

Hey Mr. Peabody,
    Thanks for them offer but I figured I'd hold on the the cables and put them to other use when I switch to HDMI with a new TV. Thanks for the feedback

Thread Information