• 12-08-2004, 10:33 PM
    geostott
    In-wall cable 12 gauge - is this good enough?
    I just purchased Mirage Omnisat speakers and I'm running the wires for the surrounds down through the floor, along the unfinished basement ceiling and up the opposite wall about 5 or 6 feet high.. Total length for each surround is about 45 feet. Including the fronts and center, need about 150-180 feet total. Will this cable be good enough or should I pay through the nose?
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=100-740

Thanks
    George
  • 12-09-2004, 02:54 AM
    ruadmaa
    12 gauge cable is more than sufficient for your needs. No need to go any larger or more expensive. You'll do just fine!
  • 12-09-2004, 01:17 PM
    geostott
    Home Depot has the same wire in 14 guage. If that would be good enough I could start running the wires now instead of having to wait for as shipment from parts express. I can't find 12 guage in-wall anywhere around here (South Jersey).
  • 12-09-2004, 04:34 PM
    Geoffcin
    I used 14ga when I did my HT room.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by geostott
    Home Depot has the same wire in 14 guage. If that would be good enough I could start running the wires now instead of having to wait for as shipment from parts express. I can't find 12 guage in-wall anywhere around here (South Jersey).

There's really no need for thicker. The surrounds don't use/need much power compared to the mains. For my mains I use 10ga, but I'm feeding over 200wpc into those.
  • 12-14-2004, 12:07 PM
    CharlieBee
    For in the wall speaker cable used for 10 watts or lower and about 40 ft, can I use 12 or 14 ga romex solid house wire? I would solder stranded wire from wall outlets.

Charlie