• 05-18-2004, 11:22 AM
    Larrymac
    Video Up conversion and Bi-wiring Q's
    If my receiver (Yamaha RX-V2400) has Video Up convert will it give me the same picture regardless of how I connect my other components to it as long as I connect the receiver to the TV (Mitsu 70" 480i only) with component video? For example - DVD player connected to receiver with S-video instead of Component video.

Another Q - my Klipsch speakers say do not bi-wire using A and B connections for the same speaker.
    The Yamaha receiver says the exact opposite - bi-wire using A and B connects for each speaker.
    Which one supersedes the other?
  • 05-18-2004, 02:12 PM
    markw
    1) Upconverting is more a matter of connection/switching convenience than signal improvement. When a receiver "upconverts" a signal, it will be of no better quality than the original signal. i.e.. a S-video signal will be no better than a S-video signal, which isn't too bad, actually.

2) Good question. For the best answer, I'd recommend you call both Klipsch and Yamaha and let them fight it out.

No promisies or guarantees here, but I'll take a guess anyway. Some receivers run the A and B speakers in series, which is definitely not a good thing for biwiring. Klipsch probably is aware of this and is trying to avoiid problems. Yamaha possibly does not use the series configuration and used the preferred parallel method of hooking up the A and B speakers, which would work for biwiring. FWIW, Klipsch sees having bi-wireable speakers as more of a marketing need than an engineering one.
  • 05-18-2004, 03:04 PM
    Larrymac
    Thanks Mark
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw
    1) Upconverting is more a matter of connection/switching convenience than signal improvement. When a receiver "upconverts" a signal, it will be of no better quality than the original signal. i.e.. a S-video signal will be no better than a S-video signal, which isn't too bad, actually.

2) Good question. For the best answer, I'd recommend you call both Klipsch and Yamaha and let them fight it out.

No promisies or guarantees here, but I'll take a guess anyway. Some receivers run the A and B speakers in series, which is definitely not a good thing for biwiring. Klipsch probably is aware of this and is trying to avoiid problems. Yamaha possibly does not use the series configuration and used the preferred parallel method of hooking up the A and B speakers, which would work for biwiring. FWIW, Klipsch sees having bi-wireable speakers as more of a marketing need than an engineering one.

I just that and Klipsch assures me that if Yamaha says it will work then go for it. As you said - they have that warning in case your using an "inferior" receiver.
  • 05-18-2004, 09:50 PM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Larrymac
    If my receiver (Yamaha RX-V2400) has Video Up convert will it give me the same picture regardless of how I connect my other components to it as long as I connect the receiver to the TV (Mitsu 70" 480i only) with component video? For example - DVD player connected to receiver with S-video instead of Component video.

Another Q - my Klipsch speakers say do not bi-wire using A and B connections for the same speaker.
    The Yamaha receiver says the exact opposite - bi-wire using A and B connects for each speaker.
    Which one supersedes the other?

If you don't by-wire, you have no concerns:) Too much is made of this practice with nothing real to it.
  • 05-19-2004, 06:36 AM
    Resident Loser
    What do you mean...
    "...nothing real to it..."

Is it not real that there will be TWICE the wire that currently exists?

Who are you to judge someone elses reality?

Why, there are many "out there" who can only function within their own reality...rules, Ha! We don't need no stinkin' rules...

If I tell you that over the weekend I substituted a Home Depot power cord (as seen in TAS) for the current no-name one I use with my power garden implements and heard a significant improvement you had best believe it!

My HedgeHog completely blew me away! The residual "bloom" of some of my ornamentals being quite apparent, the reciprocating blades of my trimmer now quickly revealed their "inner details"...the slicing action of the blade became a glorious staccato counterpoint to natures own symphony; transients crisp and sharp with no discernible over"shoots"...a judicious use of trim here and there will certainly guarantee a panoply of tones and colors come the spring.

Newly revealed upper harmonics of the 60Hz AC, coupled with the "whirr" of the mower blade and the vibration of the loose door to the grass bag now formed a perfect chord triad! I could hum the overture to "Die Zauberflote" to the continuo provided by my newish B&D combo mower...

jimHJJ(...hmm...mebee itwernt the dang cord, could it be the mower finally got broken-in?...)
  • 05-19-2004, 07:22 AM
    pctower
    Hey Pat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtrycraft
    If you don't by-wire, you have no concerns:) Too much is made of this practice with nothing real to it.

Do you want to publicly deny, with your intellectual honesty at stake, that this is not a claim without qualification that bi-wiring can produce no audible sonic improvement?