Thread: Speaker wire

Forum Regular

Speaker wire

I have to ask this.Im new to this and would like to know if higher end speaker wire is really going to make all that much difference in sound?Also should i use banana clips?I have Infinity sm 155,s for 2 channel and a set of PSB alpha series surround speakers for movies

Forum Regular
    Oh and im running everything with a pioneer vsx-d906s reciever

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    You have asked a question in a VERY subjective area of audio. Generally speaking, yes, it does make a difference.

For your Infinity's, I would recommend no higher than 14 AWG cable, preferrably 12 or 10. The bass response will be fuller at these thicker guages vs. thinner.

Bare wire is actually where its at, but if your speakers have banana plugs, then terminating with appropriate jacks is fine. Try to get some that are gold plated.

The bottom line is you shouldn't expect any great, audible result from the cable. With proper quality cable at a respectable gauge, you will get reliable transmission of the signal. Let your ears decide if there is improvement.

Suspended
    No plugs are necessary. I've found better wire/cables can help. To answer your question you'll have to try some better ones to see if, you, can hear any difference. Some heavy gauge oxygen free copper speaker wire is probably all you will need for your current system.

You might at some point try www.bluejeanscable.com this cable is good enough to show difference at a good price.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I personally feel your wiring has the potential to make almost as much difference as your components.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amature
    I have to ask this.Im new to this and would like to know if higher end speaker wire is really going to make all that much difference in sound?Also should i use banana clips?I have Infinity sm 155,s for 2 channel and a set of PSB alpha series surround speakers for movies
    Check out this article: http://www.audioholics.com/education...er-cable-gauge

I've removed all my banana plugs for my Jamo speakers (that go down to 2.8 ohms). It made a real difference. The referenced article basically states that it's just the amount of copper that makes the difference. I know that many on this forum disagree with that.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Charm Thai™
    I agree with poppa and peabody on this one. Some decent lower gauge copper speaker wire will do fine. With your current rig i don't see the need for a boutique type of cable with elaborate terminations.
    Last edited by TheHills44060; 04-13-2010 at 04:21 PM.

IMO speaker wire can make a big difference in some instances.
    1) If you are using 18 or 20 AWG now, then there will be a huge difference going to 12 AWG.
    2) If you have a system worth $10k, then even 12 AWG cheapo-brand wire will not give you everything you could be getting.

www.bluejeanscable.com has a 10 AWG wire that isn’t all that expensive. I’m sure that it would be more than you need right now.

And bare wire works best if you have room to work with it. Bannana plugs are great for the back of your amp if you don't have room to work with bare wires though.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Good point GM, bananas are a time saver and convenient enough to warrant the expense in some instances. I share speakers between systems and it would get to be a big drag screwing and unscrewing to connect bare wire not to mention the pain of limited space.

Thread Information