Forum Regular

Using coax cable for sub?

Wanted to know what peoples thoughts were on this. I am considering relocating my sub to a less conspicuous location, but doing so would require a long run of cable(25' or so). I don't want to spend a fortune on cable if I don't need to. There is a run of coaxial cable already in the wall that I could take advantage of if I disconnect it from the cable TV splitter and use a couple coaxial/RCA adapters.

My question is if there will be any reduction in sound quality. I only want to do this if there will be no difference. Right now I am using a high quality subwoofer cable (RCA type). I have heard two different theories on this and want to find some consensus. Thanks in advance.

Why not just try it both ways and see. The cable is already there. You'll only be out the cost of a couple coax/RCA adapters.

I've successfully used RG-6 Quad Shield coax before for a subwoofer. It was an excellent choice.

JDaniel
    Tu le ton son temp..... That's what we'd say ... (Lucinda Williams)

Forum Regular
    Good compression fit RCA ends will help, normal sub cable is coax RG-6 with RCA ends.

Thread Information