Thread: Tuner IC's

AR Newbie Registered Member

Tuner IC's

Hello all

I'm connecting an NAD C422 to a C320BEE and I'd like to know if investing in a higher grade of interconnects would be worthwhile. It seems to me that the relative lower-fidelity of FM broadcasts would negate any benefit from more expensive IC's. Am I correct in assuming this? Thanks in advance.

Linear Guy

Good FM

There are a number of FM broadcasts that have good to extraordinary fidelity and are probably broadcast uncompressed. I don't know that for a fact but they do sound great.

My favorites are Mountain Stage, Jazz in the night, Beale Street Caravan, St Paul Sunday Morning, Echoes and Hearts of Space. All are NPR or American Public Radio broadcasts and they sound great with a good tuner. I don't know what your musical tastes are but there is some killer FM out there if you have access to some public stations. I use AQ copperhead interconnect at about 35-50 bucks for a 1 meter pair. They are fine for me and support my Mag.Dyn tuner well.

dk

Suspended
    No matter how good the tuner and station is FM still has limited frequency response. I can't remember exactly what it is anymore but the top end is either 15 or 16kHz. On the other hand there is a benefit to getting the frequencies covered sounding as good as possible so I'd definitely use something other than the cheezy stock cables and $30.00 to $50.00 isn't bad for a set of decent cables. The bad thing about testing cables on a tuner is no way to repeat the same song for each cable.

It's just another line level audio feed but with a more limited bandwidth.

Let your ears tell ya. Get one on loan amd compare itto a plain vanilla cable. Sometimes, the mere fact that one spends big bucks on a cable makes one feel they sound better, fact or not. Heck, I feel the same about ALL cables.

Thread Information