Forum Regular

Hooking up speakers

I am replacing my 1998 Technics with something newer... Yamaha something... usually I just split the wires and stick them in the back of the receiver and clamp them down. Looking at the back of newer receivers, it seems to look different. Do I need to get some sort of metal things to put my wires in first?

I think they are called banana connectors? Are they required?

Forum Regular
    yes they are called banana plugs, basically with new wire terminals you have two choices, you can either put the banana plug into the hole on the outside of the terminal and plug it in that way "the ideal way" but if you dont want to spend all the money on the plugs you can just unscrew the terminal and there will be a small hole inside usually going through the terminal on an angle, that you slide your stripped wire through and twist the top back down tight.

if you buy it the manual will have detailed pictures of how it works. I personally dont use banana plugs, but if i ever get some free money i might buy some for my 2 front speakers just for look reasons, they look awsome, and if your speakers are out from the wall like mine and people can see the back, it looks inpressive. "but pricey" if your doing alot of speakers.

you gotta get the model of that yamaha !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Nikon
    I am replacing my 1998 Technics with something newer... Yamaha something... usually I just split the wires and stick them in the back of the receiver and clamp them down. Looking at the back of newer receivers, it seems to look different. Do I need to get some sort of metal things to put my wires in first?

I think they are called banana connectors? Are they required?
    No, not required. They make things easier if to connect/disconnect.
    "You two are a regular ol' Three Musketeers."

Forum Regular
    I guess using banana plugs in a bi-wiring configuration cost $$. Is there a difference at all to the sound quality by not using plugs?

Forum Regular
    yea, sometimes not to bad, but if you do your whole HT in it, then it can be alot if you buy them all at once. here in canada its 10 bucks a pair for the cheapest crimp on kind. 12 - 18 gauge

Bare wires, bananas, spades, pin plugs. It doesn't matter.

Whichever you use, the sound isn't affected as long as the wires don't touch each other.

Personally, with the real estate at such a premium on the back of a modern HT receiver, I wound not even bother with anything except banana plugs. All it takes is one leeeteeel short to kerfutz up an otherwise fine system.

Speakers, OTOH, have more room to manuever but I still prefer bananas.

Thread Information