• 11-27-2003, 08:38 AM
    kexodusc
    Sub-woofer cable suggestions?
    I went to 2 "high-end" speaker shops in town yesterday to buy a new sub. $700 bucks later, I got the sub, but it came with a rather flimsy, cheap looking line-level cable. When I asked the the salespeople about cables for the sub, one person told me to just use a regular, good quality gold-plated RCA audio cable, the other told me to use a Monster cable specifically designed for subs. He explained to me that the Monster cable is designed to enhance certain (low) frequencies. I'm not sure if this is the job a cable is suppose to be doing, or if I should just stick with an normal RCA and let my sub and receiver figure out the frequencies. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • 11-27-2003, 09:37 AM
    markw
    Ain't no magic in a subwoofer cable.
    The first guy was right. The second wanted his commission for a big sale of Monster Cable. You would be surprised at how many buy into this. Any idea ofwhat frequency range is needed for a subwoofer? Hint: it ain't RF

Basically, any shielded cable with RCA connectors on both ends works fine. Ifthe one you have works, therre's no need to replace it. should it break at some point, simply replace it with one with sturdier connectors on the end. This ain't no hi bux affair, although some feel better spending money on these thihga.
  • 11-27-2003, 10:02 AM
    kexodusc
    Thanks, dude...that's what I was hoping you'd say. I think I'll go with that...tone control seems to be something that should be left up to receivers and equalizers, not cables...just my opinion.
  • 11-27-2003, 10:38 AM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Thanks, dude...that's what I was hoping you'd say. I think I'll go with that...tone control seems to be something that should be left up to receivers and equalizers, not cables...just my opinion.

Mark is right. :)

Lots of audio nonsense out there sold as fact :(
  • 11-27-2003, 12:26 PM
    kexodusc
    What about running speaker wire vs. a dedicated LFE cable? Any advantages to speaker wire. I have Paradigm Reference towers by the way, lots of bass.
  • 11-27-2003, 07:30 PM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

What about running speaker wire vs. a dedicated LFE cable? Any advantages to speaker wire. I have Paradigm Reference towers by the way, lots of bass.

You can run the speaker wire to the sub to the appropriate connections but in an HT setup, your LFE channel is an RCA type interconnect.

Second, you just cannot do better than a sub for LFE, in a corner most of the time. Use the existing speaker in the 'large' setting :)
  • 11-28-2003, 04:36 AM
    kexodusc
    Thanks a lot guy. Let me ask this then, the same goofball salesman told me that I'd be better off to buy one 12" sub than run two 10" subs because the bass waves would cancel each other out?
    Any truth to that?
  • 11-29-2003, 10:14 PM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

Thanks a lot guy. Let me ask this then, the same goofball salesman told me that I'd be better off to buy one 12" sub than run two 10" subs because the bass waves would cancel each other out?
    Any truth to that?

Not simple to answer. If you stack them, no cancellation happens but reinforcement. 2 subs with their amp will give you 6 dB spl boost. The 12" may or may not be able to equal it.