Forum Regular

Need suggestions for cable components

I am going to make some RCA cables to customlengths to try to clean up the rat's nest in my equipment rack. I am building a 32-space srack in a closet, and mounted on a swivel so I can rotate the rack 180 degrees to wire the components, then run bundled cables over to the terminals for the in-walls, signals, power, etc.

Any suggestions for economical components (cable + fittings) for making my own? I thought about RG-6 since I already have a barrel-style tapered crimper, and would rather not have to solder, and I don't want the twist-on type. I'm looking for something that gives me RS-Gold or Parts-Express level quality.

Thanks!

I'm not sure I've ever seen RCA crimp on connectors. You might have to solder.

You mentioned Parts Express, they carry connectors and wire for cables at several price points. A wire cutter/stripper and a soldering iron (less than even moderately priced cables) and you're in business.

The back of my home theater system is scary. I must have known how to hook it all up at some point but I fear to touch it now.

Why hasn't this industry done a better job of dealing with this problem? Several multi contact inexpensive plug and socket combinations exist, why aren't they in use? Even the multi pin "S" video cable doesn't carry the audio signal why is this?

Forum Regular
    Firewire (iee1344 - I think) was suppose to correct this problem. It just seems everyone is waiting for it. Firewire has been around for a while now and one cable does everything.

Jason Monette
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff
    I am going to make some RCA cables to customlengths to try to clean up the rat's nest in my equipment rack. I am building a 32-space srack in a closet, and mounted on a swivel so I can rotate the rack 180 degrees to wire the components, then run bundled cables over to the terminals for the in-walls, signals, power, etc.

Any suggestions for economical components (cable + fittings) for making my own? I thought about RG-6 since I already have a barrel-style tapered crimper, and would rather not have to solder, and I don't want the twist-on type. I'm looking for something that gives me RS-Gold or Parts-Express level quality.

Thanks!

I would suggest the carnare line. The L-5CFB RG-6 75ohm coax, good for analog and digital use and the canare rcap-C5F

Here is a good site on How to do it

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm

Thread Information