Stereo sound from coax

Printable View

• 03-03-2008, 03:07 PM
    ryanbouma
    Stereo sound from coax
    I use my pioneer DVD player to listen to CDs in stereo sound. Currently I use coax to connect my DVD player to my receiver to give me 5.1. Would I be better off with RCA L and R connections for CD stereo sound. I could keep both connected and when listening to music select CD on my receiver and when watching a movie select DVD. Would that be any better?
  • 03-03-2008, 03:16 PM
    alt4
    I like my music in "stereo" and my movies in 5.1....
    So I would choose that way
  • 03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
    markw
    You can do it both ways. I do. I use 2 channel analog for CD and digital coax for 5.1 and naturally they go to two different inputs..

If you're feeling froggy, you can play CD;s through the digital connection by selecting DVD on the receiver.
  • 03-03-2008, 10:01 PM
    musicman1999
    You certainly can do that, if it sounds better or not will depend on your gear. Using analog connection means that you use the digital to analog converter in the dvd player, digital means the converter in the receiver is used. Whichever is of higher quality should sound better.

bill
  • 03-04-2008, 07:48 AM
    JSE
    I also do both. It does depend on your personal system but it can even differ from recording to recording. I find some CD just sound better in 5.1 while others sound better in 2.0. If you have both cables, use both to your liking. There really is no right or wrong answer.

JSE
  • 03-04-2008, 09:01 AM
    ryanbouma
    Ok, I think I get it now. I think the converter in my receiver is probably better than the one in my DVD player. I don't listen to CDs in 5.1, just movies. So I'll just use a digital coaxial connection. But I think I'll play with it a little first to make sure.
  • 03-09-2008, 06:46 AM
    alt4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanbouma
    Ok, I think I get it now. I think the converter in my receiver is probably better than the one in my DVD player. I don't listen to CDs in 5.1, just movies. So I'll just use a digital coaxial connection. But I think I'll play with it a little first to make sure.

I use the one in my pre/pro...from reading the specs, it's def. better!
  • 03-09-2008, 10:07 AM
    IBSTORMIN
    Listen to it to see if you hear a difference.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alt4
    I use the one in my pre/pro...from reading the specs, it's def. better!

Specs don't tell you what your ear will hear. Only listening will give you what sounds best to you. I've found coax sounds more open for the money over optical. Otherwise you might want to use RCA cables on the analog side over optical, but YOU should be the judge of what sounds best, not the specs. Do an A-B comparison and set it up to please you.
  • 03-09-2008, 10:10 AM
    IBSTORMIN
    Absolutely ! ! !
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanbouma

ONLY way to tell is to play with it yourself to see what sounds best!