• 07-20-2005, 06:43 AM
    xpatate
    Standard RG6 cable is ok for HD system ?
    I just bought 40ft of Stadard RG6 at Home depot to install my new HD receiver. Now I'm wondering if it's good enough for HDTV ? Maybe I should buy somethin of greater quality? tripple shielding or something like this.

I used very good quality component, DVI and HDMI cables for the rest of my system, I don't want to compromise the quality of the image with a loosy RG6 cable ;)
  • 07-20-2005, 12:59 PM
    jneutron
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xpatate
    I just bought 40ft of Stadard RG6 at Home depot to install my new HD receiver. Now I'm wondering if it's good enough for HDTV ? Maybe I should buy somethin of greater quality? tripple shielding or something like this.

I used very good quality component, DVI and HDMI cables for the rest of my system, I don't want to compromise the quality of the image with a loosy RG6 cable ;)

I just ran a 160 foot RG-6 cable I purchased from Lowes..RG-6/U, #18 AWG CL2/CATV (UL) E120843. What a nightmare, they changed their system for dealing with tax exempt forms, now ya gotta have a phone number to do the transaction, and the girls behind the counter are helpless if you don't know it..goofy system...

I gave the wire marking, as I don't know too much about the wire itself...I do know that the braid was aluminum, so soldering the shield was impossible.

I ran it as a 75 ohm video feed, the drive end was a dvd player rca jack output that I cut a silly 99 cent audio cable in half for...that was the soldered end..what a pita..

On the load end they had the option of rca or bnc. I figured the bnc was better, matched impedance and all..it at least only needed the inner wire soldered, and the shield was a compression ferrule...thank goodness..

There was no noticeable degradation of the video, suprisingly...no ghosts, no blurring, nada..unfortunately, the actual signal was the Spongebob goofy goober dance with patrick the starfish on a 38 inch mitsubishi tv...oh, so disgusting...even 100 feet away..

I had no problems with the actual video aside from the content...so I'd certainly say the cable is good..

Cheers, John