• 03-02-2004, 02:07 PM
    Cutenature
    Which Speaker wire/cable to use?
    :confused: Hello All,

I have a Denon 4802R receiver and Def tech speaker system(BP2004TL, CLR2500, BPX, SuperCube 1). I am currently shopping for speaker wire and cable. I am in a confused state as to which is the moderatly best cable to get the best performance from the speakers.

What sort of interconnect is to be used between the speaker and the receiver for LFE and subwoffer. Is it RCA, Co-axial or something else.

Thanks
  • 03-02-2004, 03:12 PM
    markw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutenature
    :confused: Hello All,

I have a Denon 4802R receiver and Def tech speaker system(BP2004TL, CLR2500, BPX, SuperCube 1). I am currently shopping for speaker wire and cable. I am in a confused state as to which is the moderatly best cable to get the best performance from the speakers.

What sort of interconnect is to be used between the speaker and the receiver for LFE and subwoffer. Is it RCA, Co-axial or something else.

Thanks

I'll try to take one question at a time.

Receiver to subwoofer - a coaxial (shielded) cable with RCA plugs at each end.

Receiver to speakers - Generally, a basic 12 or 16 gauge speaker cable. For longer runs, shoot for the 12 gauge. This can be purchased by the foot or on rolls. MAke sure that the red connection on the receiver winds up on the red connector at the speaker for every speaker. The other side will take fall into place then. You may choose to pick up some inexpensive bannana plugs at Radio Shack or the like if you want to spiff it up a little, but this will neither improve nor degrade the sound.

DVD player to receiver, DD/DTS audio - Toslink (optical) or 75 ohm coaxial cable (with yellow* RCA plugs on the end). Either works fine. Coaxial is cheaper and easier to work with.

CD player to receiver - either same as above or two coaxial cables with red/white* RCA connectors on the ends.

As far as your TV goes, this depends on what you have available. The ususl suspects are S-Video (small round plug w/ 5 connections) or component video (three 75 ohm video cables w/ red/green/blue* RCA connectors on the ends)

* note - colors are those generally available on consumer products to simplify wiring. Actually, any color RCA's will generally work for most any function. red/whits should be used for analog audio only, though.

Check your manuals and see what is available. This should get you started.