test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar

Gaaak flaky cable

It looks like I'll need to get new cables for my stereo. One of them is getting futzy. I can probably fix it easily enough, but I think I'd rather just conjure up something built better in the long run.

Any suggestions for a pair of speaker cables that is built well, and lets keep it sane: ie. under $100 (the lower the better).

What I've got now is a pair of Parts Express cables, and since I don't believe in all the cable hoopla I want something a bit sturdier but not anything insane. I'm contemplating heartland cable for $75 for a 10' pair but I could go shorter to 6-8' and if it costs less than that, so much the better. I want banana plugs too. So any experience/suggestions? I've looked but I'm out of the cable loop since I bought those years ago and just let it be. I could do raw cable (like a spool) but I do kind of like a nice pair of finished cables with the weaved sheath aesthetically speaking.

hmmmmm...... I would wait until you get a pair of new speakers, and see how you like them first. But that's if you are still interested in a new pair.

How about GoldenHelix by Clearview? I have no experience with it what so ever.. just somem to add to your list.

$85 for for a set of 8'.
    http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/aud...eakercable.php

Crap!!! Did I just give myself an idea?? Damn U Emo!!!!

peace,

JRA

Well getting a new pair of speakers is fine and all, but I need a reliable connection!

I'll probably partially disassemble the end of the cable thats acting up and see if I can't just re solder it for now. Although I do eventually want a more robust cable.

If your cables have pin connectors, it might just be the set screw that holds the wire into the connector.

Quote Originally Posted by tin ear
    If your cables have pin connectors, it might just be the set screw that holds the wire into the connector.
    They have bananas, I took the end apart and it just appears soldered in. I'm going to try to resecure it later but I'm still leaning towards a pair of something else that's better built and more robust for the long term.

Linear Guy

If you must buy cables, try these

http://www.anticables.com/home.html

I'v been running these lately. They are around 10.00 ft. for a stereo pair, terminated in spades. For banannas there is a little extra charge I think. Extraordinary speaker wire for the money. No shortcomings and they don't get in the way of the music at all. Little bit of a break in period though. I think they are a big step up from standard multi strand speaker cable and probably give the expensive wires a run for the money, although I'm not one for expensive wires. In my system they replaced Bedrock. Try to fix your wires if there is nothing seriously wrong with the sound.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

I'm curious...

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    They have bananas, I took the end apart and it just appears soldered in. I'm going to try to resecure it later but I'm still leaning towards a pair of something else that's better built and more robust for the long term.
    ...what, in your opinion, would qualify for "...better built and more robust..."?

Speaker wire is...well...wire...and whatever they may be terminated by is just...you got it...a termination...so basically it's the penultimate in simplicity...If, as you say, they are soldered, a cold solder joint might be an issue...however if the mechanical connection was made correctly and the parts were assembled properly i.e. solder nice and smooth and shiny...there's little one can hope for in improving the build to any degree.

Insofar as "robust"...how robust must something be that just lies there and conducts the electron flow...there are no moving parts, nothing to wear out...I'll assume they aren't subject to foot traffic, don't use them to support your loudspeakers and are tucked safely behind your gear...so...

In a nutshell, plain' old bulk with screw-on bananas would seem to be a good bet...although I prefer the simpler alternative which is simply a tinned, pre-formed bight...

You may be able to find simple, but aesthetically pleasing, jacketed, outdoor-rated, two-conductor sound re-inforcement (PA-type) wire...it seems to work fine and hasn't exhibited any futzy-ness in the at least 20 odd years I've used it...

jimHJJ(...just my two-hundredths...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

....in my opinion... i just want... something that has a nice finished ..... quality look to it... which as you mention isn't a particularly complex thing to achieve. I may make it myself... we'll see.

Forum Regular
    Transparent Cable makes some sweet cables, I use their Opus line, out of your desired pricerange, but they have lower models as well.

http://transparentcable.com

Thread Information