Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Question Speaker Cables for Rotel, Paradigm combo.

Hey fellows.. I've moved into an apartment that is larger than my previous one, so i require longer speaker cable.. So i thought since i need to get new cable, why not upgrade. I am currently using the Van Den Hul Goldwater cable with my Rotel Paradigm combo, any suggestions for something better?? The ones i have on mind are thye Van Den Hul CS-122 and maybe some used exposure electronics ones... Also there are some QED models, not too sure about them, but anyways what would be a good cable option? Thanks

Forum Regular
    Hi guys.. Well I'm having a few different options on mind for my cable upgrade, Tara Labs is one of them, and the Van Den Hul CS-122 is another.. Also there are some QED models as well... Any suggestions?? As mentioned earlier, I'm using the van den hul "GOLDWATER" presently, but as i have moved apartments, i require longer cables, and thought i would upgrade at the same time... Please advice.. Thanks!

Suspended
    I use mostly Tara Labs but when Soundex was around, they always pushed MIT with B&K and Rotel. Tough call.

Forum Regular
    Thanks Hyfi... So what Tara Labs model would u recommend me to get for my combo? Thanks

Forum Regular
    Hi.. The main reason i want to change my cables is because, as i mentioned earlier, i did move house, so i have to change cos of the different dimensions of my new place, so i thought since i have to change, why not upgrade at the same time... I am currently using Van Den Hul "The Goldwater" for my Rotel-Paradigm combo, so wondering whether something like Tara Labs Prism Klara or Prism Omni 2 or 3 would be a good upgrade... Please help

Forum Regular
    hey guys any opinions? i really need some advice please.. thanks

Forum Regular
    Hi guys.. Sorry but no one has replied me, i wonder why...??? Anyways I'm looking at the Tara Labs Prism Omni 2 speaker cables and the Kimber PBJ or Timbre interconnects... Please reply me as to whether this is a good combo with my system. Thanks

Forum Regular
    You might lack responses because you don't mention your budget for the upgrade. I'd recommend you look at the IC's and speaker cable at:

http://www.audioartcable.com

Forum Regular
    As mentioned, the speaker cables and interconnects in my budget are the:Tara Labs Prism Omni 2 speaker cables and the Kimber PBJ or Timbre interconnects. What i need to know is whether these are a good match or not for my components? CD Player: Marantz CD5001, Amplifier: Rotel RA-1062, and speakers: Paradigm Reference Studio 20. Thanks

Forum Regular
    Stating a budget generally involves stating a dollar amount. You state you that you need longer speaker cables, but you don't say what length you need, which has an impact on the cost. Questions that are stated more clearly will elicit better responses. Also, the chances that someone has heard your exact combination with your proposed cables is probably slim.

Forum Regular
    Budget is around $400 USD For speaker cables and interconnects

AR Member
    Hi Tony,

Try DIY solutions. I would get a pair of Kimber 8TC speaker cable ($300) and get a little pro-gold metal conditioner if you leave the ends bare. You could also split the ends to do an internal bi-wire. IMHO, this will sound far better than using DHLabs Q10 in either configuration and sound better than most lower-end wires on Rotel and Marantz. Just don't forget to later change the backend a/c wire to something better. IME with Rotel, cleaning the A/C will bring further improvements. Leave $100 for your IC's for a good wire and connections. Vampirewire CCC and tightening connectors, IME are the best bang for buck parts on the low-end.
    Last edited by Stevenk; 08-19-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Forum Regular
    so tara labs is no good is it with my combo?

Forum Regular
    Hi everyone
    I'm planning to get my new cables this week, so would really appreciate some more input if you can... The options I'm thinking of are: Tara Labs, Kimber, Audioquest, Van den hul... My budget is around USD 300

Forum Regular
    Hi everyone
    I'm intending on buying new cables over this week, and would really appreciate some inputs from you guys... My budget is around the USD300 (sorry i had budgeted wrong last time) dollar mark and the options i have are currently these options for speaker cables at my budget: Tara Labs Prism Klara and Prism Omni 2. Van Den Hul CS-122. For interconnects: Kimber PBJ and Audioquest Sidewinder.. So any better suggestions for the price?? Also please advice me on what banana plugs to get terminated and also about power cords, what brands are most affordable for power cords? Thanks

Forum Regular
    My earlier advice about Audio Art Cables fits your budget and would give you synergy between IC's and speaker cable. They also make an affordable power cable. Read the reviews for Audio Art products.

Forum Regular
    They don't sell Audio Art Cables here in Singapore... Any other suggestions? Thanks

Forum Regular
    Hi fellow AR friends!! I'm still trying to figure out what to buy here... The dealers here in Singapore just don't have any consideration for thye customer, NO TRIAL PERIODS, NO 30 DAY MONEY BACK!!!!! Its quite stupid really...

Anyway what i need to know is whether there is anyone here who is using Paradigm Studio 20's, and if so what would be your recommendation for speaker cables and IC'S? My budget is around thye USD300 mark and since i need around 8 feet of speaker cable and 1m of IC. so with these lengths i can afford some of the Tara Labs models, Kimber ones and Van den hul models also..

Please try to advice, these are the brands that are available here, the other ones may cost alot or they don't have many of the American brands..

Thanks

Forum Regular
    Hey fellows, one last piece of advice before i start my purchasing.. How about the Kimber 4vs and 8vs? Are these a good bet with my system? I cant afford 4tc or 8tc..

Forum Regular
    Hey guys please advice if anyone knows about the Kimber 4vs thanks

Forum Regular
    You can read 13 reviews of Kimber 4vs in the review section of this site.

Forum Regular
    how about banana plugs? would something like vampire wire be good?

AR Member

Smile Speaker wire setup info

Hi Tony340,

Your account email is not working I'll send you more info on wire setup once this is fixed.

Forum Regular
    thank you very much Steven, if you are unable to send me, then you could even just post it on this thraed, thanks again

AR Member
    Hi Tony340,
    The response to your question bounced back again so here it is.

Congratulations on your high-end wires. A bare ended wire is the least expensive way to go and still have excellent sound its just not the best looking or durable or tightest but it works. In the case of Kimber wire, they have many very thin strands than can break if handled too much or pressed too hard with speaker clamps but be slow and gentle. When stripping this wire(s) bare, first unwrap the Kimber braid to leave 3 or 4" unravelled then later you can twist the negative wires together and then positive wires together, maybe add a long piece of shrink wrap for each to hold tight. Remove 1 to 1.5" of dielectric (coating) just enough to fit fully into a speaker connector. Use a precise wire stripper so to not cut/nick one of the small strands while removing their coatings. Only do it by hand, (don't use an easy stripper for these) and do it very gentle sometimes a light cut on the dielectric is enough and it can be removed by using your finger nail also.

Once all the wire ends are bare and the wires are twisted together, trim any long wires from group and remove more coating from them, then apply Caig Deoxit to clean the metal, wipe off and then apply pro-gold. This stuff soaks into the wire over time, so give it days for full effect. Twist ends tight by hand, use gloves (eg. rubber, cotton) to keep finger oils off the wire, then insert wires and tighten.

IME, you definitely need to use progold on exposed metal, it will protect your connections, wires, fuses, tubes, wall plugs, etc, everything metal in not just humid environments but anywhere oxygen exists. I tried a few others and they don't work as good for this purpose.

Later, you may want to add connectors on the ends for a finished job then a hot solder iron of 15-30 watts or variable range is needed. IME, use good solder ie. Johnsons or Cardas ternary eutectic (silver/copper/tin) with a good wire spade connector. Stick to copper based or high copper content brass for copper wires. Its a long and tedious job but worth it in the end.
    I've enjoyed my 8TC wires very much and I finished ends with cryo'd Vampire hd5 connectors. Kimber cryo's wires in their own shop, I don't know if 4VS are but they will sound good and its a good taste of high-end. The PBJ interconnects have a good reputation also. Happy listening. :-)

Have a look at these eg. sites for deoxit, deoxit gold (progold)
    http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=463
    http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=173

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information