Forum Regular

solid or stranded

Anyone know the difference between solid and stranded copper speaker wires?
    I hear that solid is a bit more "forward" from a friend. And that stranded can or may tend to have a bit more distortion (Strand interaction).

I seam to remeber reading something somewhere that kinda stated that it is best to stand varrying sizes of copper for one cable to achieve a well balanced sound.

Just curious if there are any audiophiles out there that may have seen, read or even heard any differences stated between the two.

Thanks,
    Stewrt
    Mains: B+W 703 in cherry
    Surrounds: B+W HTM7
    Center: B+W DS7
    Sub: Def Tech Pro 80 On HFE through center channel
    Sub: DefTech 12" in back of room
    Reciever: Denon 3803
    Amp : B+K Reference 200.2
    CD: Denon DCM 370
    DVD: Denon DVD1600
    TV: Toshiba 32 inch Cinema Series FST Pure Flat
    Cables: Audioquest CV-6's, CV-4's, Diamondbacks
    Rack: BDI
    Power: Brickwall

Quote Originally Posted by Stewrt
    I hear that solid is a bit more "forward" from a friend. And that stranded can or may tend to have a bit more distortion (Strand interaction).
    Nothing has ever been factually substantiated that supports this idea.

I seam to remeber reading something somewhere that kinda stated that it is best to stand varrying sizes of copper for one cable to achieve a well balanced sound.
    Nope. Same as above.

Just curious if there are any audiophiles out there that may have seen, read or even heard any differences stated between the two.

Thanks,
    Stewrt
    Oh there are many who will make such a claim, but unless it was verified under controlled laboratory conditions, it should be taken at the level of a rumor.

-Bruce

Forum Regular
    Whats strand interaction?
    possibly induced magnetic fields of one wire acting on another?

Forum Regular

The solid is one fat strand that makes up the wire gauge. Staranded is a whole bunch of very small wires twisted together to make up th ewire gauge.

I hear that solid is a bit more "forward" from a friend.

That is relative which is ahead of the other at any one time. I didn't know you race your wires. How do you do that?

And that stranded can or may tend to have a bit more distortion (Strand interaction).

Well, distortion can be measured by instuments. Recently such a test was posted with no distortion component in wire found to the limit of the instrument, well beyond where anyone need to be concerned with.

A well balanced sound depends on the recording engineer, your speakers and room acoustrics.

Thanks,
    Stewrt

Yes, there are lots of audiophiles claiming all sorts of miracles from wire.There are no miracles.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    I went back and forth about this in choosing my wire (solid versus stranded) I ended up with Canare L-5CFB, a solid core wire for low capacitance, and it sounds great! Use their crimp only endlinks and you will be happy!

A great DIY:

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm

Thread Information