Forum Regular

S-Video versus Component/quality of cables important?

Hello, everyone-

Currently I am using S-Video cable to go from my DVD to receiver and then from my receiver to my TV. I can also use component cables (I'll have to check to see if my basic Sony Trinitron TV has a component connection), but was wondering about the pros/cons regarding s-video and component.

What about the quality of the cables (s-video, optical, subwoofer)? I see you can spend a ton on cables- is it worth it? I just have the basic cables now from Best Buy (i.e $15 for 3' optical and $15 for 15' subwoofer).

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you.
    Eric
    Last edited by Eric Z; 07-08-2004 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Added questions.

Forum Regular
    Eric, I just responded to this question in the HT forum. I hope it helps

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    Hello, everyone-

Currently I am using S-Video cable to go from my DVD to receiver and then from my receiver to my TV. I can also use component cables (I'll have to check to see if my basic Sony Trinitron TV has a component connection), but was wondering about the pros/cons regarding s-video and component.

What about the quality of the cables (s-video, optical, subwoofer)? I see you can spend a ton on cables- is it worth it? I just have the basic cables now from Best Buy (i.e $15 for 3' optical and $15 for 15' subwoofer).

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you.
    Eric
    What cables you have are all you really need. Audio is not immune to snake oil claims.

Svideo is most likely sufficient. If you try component, you will need to calibrate that input on the TV as you would the Svideo input too.
    mtrycrafts

AR Newbie Registered Member

$cable$

If your cables are shielded and have good connector quality, they should be fine. I personally use AR Master Series cables for all my interconnects. They are cheap on eBay (avg $15-$20 per pair), seem to be very well made with locking gold-plated connectors, sound just fine to me, look nice, and are FAT, which makes it easier for me to make a finished loom of all my wiring. I like a neat look behind my gear.
    I see very little difference between S-video and component video interconnect on my plasma screen, so use whatever is easier. I personally use component, because my Panasonic DVD-F85 only works in progressive mode with the component outputs. I also feed S-video from my VCR to my Denon pre-pro, which upconverts it to component video.

Thread Information