• 07-08-2004, 08:04 AM
    Eric Z
    S-Video versus Component/quality of cables important?
    Hello, everyone-

Currently I am using S-Video cable to go from my DVD to receiver and then from my receiver to my TV. I can also use component cables (I'll have to check to see if my basic Sony Trinitron TV has a component connection), but was wondering about the pros/cons regarding s-video and component.

What about the quality of the cables (s-video, optical, subwoofer)? I see you can spend a ton on cables- is it worth it? I just have the basic cables now from Best Buy (i.e $15 for 3' optical and $15 for 15' subwoofer).

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you.
    Eric
  • 07-08-2004, 09:23 AM
    Mania
    Eric, I just responded to this question in the HT forum. I hope it helps
  • 07-08-2004, 08:49 PM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Z
    Hello, everyone-

Currently I am using S-Video cable to go from my DVD to receiver and then from my receiver to my TV. I can also use component cables (I'll have to check to see if my basic Sony Trinitron TV has a component connection), but was wondering about the pros/cons regarding s-video and component.

What about the quality of the cables (s-video, optical, subwoofer)? I see you can spend a ton on cables- is it worth it? I just have the basic cables now from Best Buy (i.e $15 for 3' optical and $15 for 15' subwoofer).

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you.
    Eric

What cables you have are all you really need. Audio is not immune to snake oil claims. :)

Svideo is most likely sufficient. If you try component, you will need to calibrate that input on the TV as you would the Svideo input too.
  • 07-13-2004, 07:52 PM
    foobagger
    $cable$
    If your cables are shielded and have good connector quality, they should be fine. I personally use AR Master Series cables for all my interconnects. They are cheap on eBay (avg $15-$20 per pair), seem to be very well made with locking gold-plated connectors, sound just fine to me, look nice, and are FAT, which makes it easier for me to make a finished loom of all my wiring. I like a neat look behind my gear.
    I see very little difference between S-video and component video interconnect on my plasma screen, so use whatever is easier. I personally use component, because my Panasonic DVD-F85 only works in progressive mode with the component outputs. I also feed S-video from my VCR to my Denon pre-pro, which upconverts it to component video.