• 09-14-2004, 08:04 PM
    tpcounty
    RCA Connections HELP please
    I just got a SHARP 32 inch TV and plugged in some 20$ component video cables into the component video inputs in the back of the TV. I then tried to remove the cables but when the plug came out it took the metal jacket off the input connector with it.
    What exactly is the metal jacket for? Is it a ground? Does it carry information or is data transferred only through the center post of the plug? Has this ever happened to you? What did you do?
  • 09-15-2004, 03:18 AM
    markw
    That would be the ground and yes, it's needed.
    Sounds like you got a funky cable there, podner. Happens to the best of us at times.

    You might want to invest in one that's a little more solidly constructed. You might out parts express, dayton cables, blue jean cables, AR, RatShacks mid line stuff etc... but you don't need to spend a kings ransom for good performance and solid construction.

    a little hint.. when removing RCA cables, don't just yank them out. You should twist them gently while pulling back. Likewise, the same twist thing should be done when inserting them.
  • 09-15-2004, 04:16 AM
    tpcounty
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by markw
    Sounds like you got a funky cable there, podner. Happens to the best of us at times.

    You might want to invest in one that's a little more solidly constructed. You might out parts express, dayton cables, blue jean cables, AR, RatShacks mid line stuff etc... but you don't need to spend a kings ransom for good performance and solid construction.

    a little hint.. when removing RCA cables, don't just yank them out. You should twist them gently while pulling back. Likewise, the same twist thing should be done when inserting them.


    Thanks for the response. Just to be more clear. It is the metal jacket off the female plug on the back of the TV set that came off, not the cable itself (the cables are AR). So is that part a ground? How do I deal with this now? How do I repair it? Thanks for any help.
  • 09-15-2004, 05:01 AM
    markw
    Oh, it's off the TV part of the jack?
    Well, not to sound over simplistic, I'd get it fixed. The way your original post reads, it sounds like it's pretty new and this sort of thing just shouldn't happen. That's what warrantys are for.

    Again, in the future, keep in mind that twisty thing I mentioned earlier.

    Oh, you're correct. It is part of the ground.
  • 09-15-2004, 05:14 AM
    tpcounty
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by markw
    Well, not to sound over simplistic, I'd get it fixed. The way your original post reads, it sounds like it's pretty new and this sort of thing just shouldn't happen. That's what warrantys are for.

    Again, in the future, keep in mind that twisty thing I mentioned earlier.

    Oh, you're correct. It is part of the ground.


    Thanks for your help.

    Actually, I already returned the TV once a week ago because the jackets on the female plugs came off. I really am gentle with my electronics and have never had such a problem with any other components I have owned. Even the occasional stubborn plug has never ripped off the metal jacket before. I am guessing Sharp has put inferior connectors on their TV to save some cost. I guess there isn't a simple way for me to fix it myself. I will have to call for service. Thanks again.
  • 09-15-2004, 05:36 AM
    markw
    Thanks for the heads up on Sharp.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tpcounty
    Actually, I already returned the TV once a week ago because the jackets on the female plugs came off.... I am guessing Sharp has put inferior connectors on their TV to save some cost.

    There's no excuse for this to happen once, much less twice. Most jacks can stand a little abuse, but this is too much.

    I'd say you are a master at understatement from your second sentence here.

    Good luck
  • 09-15-2004, 05:52 AM
    tpcounty
    question
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by markw
    There's no excuse for this to happen once, much less twice. Most jacks can stand a little abuse, but this is too much.

    I'd say you are a master at understatement from your second sentence here.

    Good luck

    Since I already went through the hassle of replacing the set once, do you think I should just say screw it and return it again and look for a different brand of TV or call the service number that the folks from 1-800-BeSharp gave me? What would service do? Just replace the connector with more crappy connectors??? Just my kind of luck really.
  • 09-15-2004, 06:07 AM
    markw
    I'd definitely take it back if you still can.
    Given my druthers, I would feel more comfortable with another brand. If these piddling little external things that ate visible to the customer are falling apart, there's no telling on where they skimped internally.

    I know Sharp comes in at a critical price point but sometimes spending a little extra can pay off in the long run. How much more would a Toshiba be?
  • 09-15-2004, 06:24 AM
    tpcounty
    well...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by markw
    Given my druthers, I would feel more comfortable with another brand. If these piddling little external things that ate visible to the customer are falling apart, there's no telling on where they skimped internally.

    I know Sharp comes in at a critical price point but sometimes spending a little extra can pay off in the long run. How much more would a Toshiba be?


    I bought it at Best Buy. You are totally correct in that I picked Sharp because it fell perfectly into the price point I was looking for and had component video and s-video connections I wanted so I could hook up my DVD and PS2 to the TV without a switcher. A similar Toshiba is $10 more. I guess that probably answers my question. A shame really since I prefered the looks of the chassis on the Sharp with the speakers on the side rather than below the screen. Oh well, I guess I will be making a call to customer service for a return.
  • 09-15-2004, 06:55 AM
    markw
    Beauty is only skin deep...
    ...but ugly goes down to the bone.

    I feel for ya, what with styling and all that, but sometimes other things may heve to outweigh that.

    And, FWIW, don't feel bad. If I were in your situation I might well have gone with the Sharp for styling but we all live and learn.
  • 09-15-2004, 07:12 AM
    tpcounty
    While we are talking about TV brands
    I am guessing you like Toshiba. I have a 27" Sony which has been great for me but I just can't afford another Sony right now. Obviously, I am down on Sharp right now. Any thoughts on TV brands. Any general recommendations or word of mouth reputation on various brands? What's usually consistently good quality and what is stuff to avoid?

    Anyone with thoughts?