Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Power cords

Linear Guy

how bout those Cubs.

Entertaining debate, but I would call this one a draw.

In a somewhat related subject, are any of you spoon benders aware of a generic whole-house power conditioning product that could be installed by an electrician at the junction box? It might remove the need to fret over piece-meal improvements in power quality at the component level.

Quote Originally Posted by daviethek
    In a somewhat related subject, are any of you spoon benders aware of a generic whole-house power conditioning product that could be installed by an electrician at the junction box?
    Such devices exist to combat issues originating with the power source and to provide whole house surge protection.

It might remove the need to fret over piece-meal improvements in power quality at the component level.
    How would such a device address locally generated RFI and noise put back into the AC only inches or feet away from the amplification stages?

rw

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Well...

Entertaining debate, but I would call this one a draw.

In a somewhat related subject, are any of you spoon benders aware of a generic whole-house power conditioning product that could be installed by an electrician at the junction box? It might remove the need to fret over piece-meal improvements in power quality at the component level.
    ...if I read E-Stat correctly, a whole-house conditioner at the service entrance would still present problems. Other appliances, etc. and the audio gear would be connected on the post side of the unit, so nearer to the audio stuff is prefereable keeping the fridge, etc. on the pre- side...and then we get into the current limiting aspect and the need for individual treatment...While I understand the basis for his point, the concept of some sort of "passive" conditioning seems to me to be more one of wishful thinking...I mean there are chokes that are fitted to data cables, but in that case we're dealing with data, at data frequencies and speeds, regular, sychronized packets and streams, not random, errant sources of audio "veiling"...

Once we get beyond AC line-borne artifacts and airborne RFI we are then confronted by some sort of floating intra-system "feedback" that these power cords passively drain off?...I ain't no EE but...'dunno 'bout that...the more troubleshooting logic I try to apply to the situation, the less logical it all becomes.

jimHJJ(...spoon benders?...good one...it may get you some red chicklets tho'...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...we are then confronted by some sort of floating intra-system "feedback" that these power cords passively drain off?...I ain't no EE but...'dunno 'bout that...the more troubleshooting logic I try to apply to the situation, the less logical it all becomes.
    Where on earth did you get that concept?

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat

rw
    From his fantasy concept bag-o-nonsense. Didn't ya know?

Aaaa...errr...

rw
    ...post #96...Wherein it is written:

...First of all conventional power conditioners are not ideal for high powered receivers and power amps because they limit current. Aftermarket cords work better for them. As for your second point, you're still confusing the villains. Go back to post #72 regarding the noise that switching power supplies throw back into the AC. The nearby problem is your CD/DVD player that generates a strong RF field which may be amplified downstream.

jimHJJ(...perhaps some clarification might be in order...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

...perhaps some clarification might be in order...)
    Agreed. You mentioned three concepts. My comments discuss the first two:

Once we get beyond AC line-borne artifacts and airborne RFI...
    1. Switching power supplies are among the sources that send noise into the AC.
    2. CD/DVD players generate local RFI fields.

In your third "...by some sort of floating intra-system "feedback" that these power cords passively drain off?", what is the source of the feedback?

rw

I dunno'...

Agreed. You mentioned three concepts. My comments discuss the first two:

1. Switching power supplies are among the sources that send noise into the AC.
    2. CD/DVD players generate local RFI fields.

In your third "...by some sort of floating intra-system "feedback" that these power cords passively drain off?", what is the source of the feedback?

rw
    ...you tell me, I ended the not-quite rhetorical statement with a question mark? What is the source?

If we condition the mains and shield from the airborne, how does an aftermarket cord guard against AC echo, slapback, whatever contaminants that another components' power supply might transmit to the common post-conditioned AC?

If digital players generate fields that don't drop off precipitously, how do these same cords handle that hash?

BTW, preliminary tests indicate that an unshielded power cords' 60Hz field is <2in., a CPUs field extends for around four inches and that after that, a CRTs forward field, raster perhaps, (at a distance of 24" or so) becomes evident, having been masked by that of the CPU...true, it's not audio but it demonstrates the proximity effect involved.

jimHJJ(...just some observations...)

If we condition the mains and shield from the airborne, how does an aftermarket cord guard against AC echo, slapback, whatever contaminants that another components' power supply might transmit to the common post-conditioned AC?
    Please refer to the specific comments that led you to this question. "Post conditioned AC?" Huh?

If digital players generate fields that don't drop off precipitously, how do these same cords handle that hash?
    Shielding.

BTW, preliminary tests indicate that an unshielded power cords' 60Hz field is <2in., a CPUs field extends for around four inches and that after that, a CRTs forward field, raster perhaps, (at a distance of 24" or so) becomes evident, having been masked by that of the CPU...true, it's not audio but it demonstrates the proximity effect involved.
    More importantly, what is the radiation distance for the primary villain - the CDP?

rw

Ok...

(1)..."Post conditioned AC?" Huh?

(2)Shielding.

(3)More importantly, what is the radiation distance for the primary villain - the CDP?

rw
    (1) If you use a line conditioner, I assume you will connect all audio gear to the post conditioned AC outlets...this is a common connect point...if any noise from the power supplies of the connected components is fed back through a cord (and not inductive in nature) towards this common AC source, how would a specialized, aftermarket power cord eliminate it, after all it's now line-borne both coming and going?.

(2) A relatively inexpensive shielded cord should be sufficient in this respect...

(3) Testing a CDP in my PCs CPU: Nothing from the sides encased in metal...at the plastic faceplate: drawer/deck motor noise evident to about 3in., transport motor to about 1 1/2 in. using an inductve probe, Spool-up of the motor sounded like a Pink Floyd cut...

jimHJJ(...Home system to follow...)

(1) If you use a line conditioner, I assume you will connect all audio gear to the post conditioned AC outlets...this is a common connect point...if any noise from the power supplies of the connected components is fed back through a cord (and not inductive in nature) towards this common AC source, how would a specialized, aftermarket power cord eliminate it, after all it's now line-borne both coming and going?.
    RL, this topic should not be as difficult to grasp as you seem to make it. At the expense of repeating myself, aftermarket AC cords are conditioners. I don't know of anyone who has suggested that one fit an aftermarket cord downstream of a conditioner. As I stated back in post 70 odd, line conditioners limit current for high powered amplifiers. That is why I DO NOT use them with either my HT receiver nor my two power amps.

(2) A relatively inexpensive shielded cord should be sufficient in this respect...
    That speculation is not supported by my experience. I use five different sets of aftermarket cords, two of which are DIY. One set uses Belden 19364 using a single Beldfoil shield. It is NOT as good a cord as any of the others. I wish it were.

(3) Testing a CDP in my PCs CPU
    What, by the way, are you measuring?

rw

...replacing the power cord on my Waring Professional blender will make superior margaritas...less Residual Floobydust Interference...

jimHJJ(...yep...)
    Hilarious! And perfectly sensible anicdote.

I started out wanting to belief the argument that interconnects and speaker cables all sound the same was true. Who wouldn't? No one wants to spend extra money on cables that are largely hidden from view anyway. But I have long since dispelled this notion, since I started hearing big differences in both interconnects and speaker cables sereral years ago.

But powercords are another matter. They do not carry the audio signal. they conduct the electricity to power components. Although a benefit may be observed from reducing RFI EMI interference or maximizing the flow of electricity from the wall socket, the perceived improvement will be minimal at best. Do I think its work it to spend perhaps $200 bucks on a powercord that will bring a minimal benefit? - yes, if it is well made. But the notion of spending more than $500 or even $1000 seems ridiculous. No wonder 'normal' people regard audiophiles as audiophools. The thing is that the people selling the powercords are not always charlatans. They believe what they are saying. There as deluded as a lot of audiosheep out there.

Also it would seem to me that component manufacturers would be quite pissed off by this blatant hucksterism that directly robs them of sales. Clearly most of us that spend large on powercords are taking from a budget for components. And components are certainly much more expensive to manufacture. They clearly must feel that the powercord vendors are getting a free ride on their coat tails, and taking business from them too. Mind you, if I were a powercord vendor, and people would buy my powercords at massive prices, I'd perpetuate the myth also.

I have the RX-Z9 receiver from Yamaha. The manual clearly states that they do not recommend using any other aftermarket powercord as there will be no benefit. This is Yamaha's top receiver too and an excellent porduct at that. Bravo Yamaha for honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Although a benefit may be observed from reducing RFI EMI interference or maximizing the flow of electricity from the wall socket, the perceived improvement will be minimal at best.
    And yet you have two Tice conditioners. Aren't those somewhere between $1600 and $2000 each? Have you tried any aftermarket cords with your ARC gear or MF DAC? I used to have an SP-6C and VT-100 myself. Still use an SP-9 MKIII.

Also it would seem to me that component manufacturers would be quite pissed off by this blatant hucksterism that directly robs them of sales.
    With which manufacturers have you spoken or read their feelings about this (other than Yamaha)? That is not what Luke Manley of VTL tells me. In fact, he says they deliberately supply an inexpensive, yet rated-for-current cord because most of his customers use aftermarket cords. That is not what Carl Marchisotto of Nola has told Harry Pearson. He now uses Nordost cabling in his system. That is not what Jud Barber of Joule Electra has told me. He favors the Elrod cables. That is not what Ole Lund Christensen (formerly) of GamuT thinks. They supply an AC cord only upon request for the same reason as Luke. That is not what John Curl of Parasound (has also designed for Mark Levinson, Vendetta, CTC) thinks. That is not what Charles Hansen of Ayre (formerly with Avalon) thinks. He likes the Cardas cord. Those are only the guys with whom I'm spoken or specifically read of their feeling on the matter. I suspect that If you were to speak with Bill Johnson or any number of other gifted designers, they would likewise concur. While Nelson Pass is neutral on the topic, he has as of late rethought the value of keeping the power source absolutely clean via these improvements to his X.5 series of Pass Laboratory amps:

"Changes to these models include improvements to power transformers, paralleled high speed / soft recovery rectifiers, improved AC EMI filters, more paralleled power supply capacitors, increased supply RC filtering..."

Clearly most of us that spend large on powercords are taking from a budget for components.
    Do you think I shortchanged some aspect of my system having purchased the Harmonic Technology cords?

rw

Devil's advocate

With which manufacturers have you spoken or read their feelings about this (other than Yamaha)? That is not what Luke Manley of VTL tells me. In fact, he says they deliberately supply an inexpensive, yet rated-for-current cord because most of his customers use aftermarket cords. That is not what Carl Marchisotto of Nola has told Harry Pearson. He now uses Nordost cabling in his system. That is not what Jud Barber of Joule Electra has told me. He favors the Elrod cables. That is not what Ole Lund Christensen (formerly) of GamuT thinks. They supply an AC cord only upon request for the same reason as Luke. That is not what John Curl of Parasound (has also designed for Mark Levinson, Vendetta, CTC) thinks. That is not what Charles Hansen of Ayre (formerly with Avalon) thinks. He likes the Cardas cord. Those are only the guys with whom I'm spoken or specifically read of their feeling on the matter. I suspect that If you were to speak with Bill Johnson or any number of other gifted designers, they would likewise concur. While Nelson Pass is neutral on the topic, he has as of late rethought the value of keeping the power source absolutely clean via these improvements to his X.5 series of Pass Laboratory amps:

"Changes to these models include improvements to power transformers, paralleled high speed / soft recovery rectifiers, improved AC EMI filters, more paralleled power supply capacitors, increased supply RC filtering..."
    rw
    E-Stat,

Has it occured to you that these gents are all in the same racket and don't want to stick out by refuting each other, much less the contradicting the lucrative audiophile fancy that >$500 PCs make a day-and-night difference?

Personally I have been using shielded PC cables for key components for a while, granted I've stuck to $50 PS Audio PowerPunch and $25 DIY Belden/Marinco cables. Also, I've used a Tripp Lite IS1000 isolation transformer, a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, and currently a Belkin PureAV PF60. None of these have produced any noticable difference in sound. (Well, with the possible exception that I think I might hear an extremely minute improvement using the Belden/Marinco with my DAC, but that could be my imagination as likely than not.)

It is certainly possible that people like yourself who have top-end equipment might notice significant differences, but I don't think it's good advice for people with entry to mid-level systems to spend a lot on PC cables. Apart from special situations, most people will be better off improving the components themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Has it occured to you that these gents are all in the same racket and don't want to stick out by refuting each other, much less the contradicting the lucrative audiophile fancy that >$500 PCs make a day-and-night difference?
    Considered and rejected once I got to know a number of these designers. The folks I've met are genuine music enthusiasts. I'll leave the conspiracy theories to others.

None of these have produced any noticable difference in sound. (Well, with the possible exception that I think I might hear an extremely minute improvement using the Belden/Marinco with my DAC, but that could be my imagination as likely than not.)
    Ok.

It is certainly possible that people like yourself who have top-end equipment might notice significant differences, but I don't think it's good advice for people with entry to mid-level systems to spend a lot on PC cables.
    First of all, I've never said that the differences were significant nor do I recommend that folks spend half their budget on either high end AC cords or the expensive conditioners that O'Shag uses either. The benefits are system and environment specific. I have two wireless access points, four computers, three digital cable boxes and six CD/DVD players - all of which either radiate RFI or spew digital hash back into the AC line. I do, however, have a couple of sub $100 DIY cords that I believe are worth merit in more modest systems. Like my vintage double New Advent based one. Where I also use a $100 Monster HTS-1000 conditioner for front end components.

As you are probably aware there are guys here (Mash, Skeptic/Soundmind, Woodman, FL Zapped come to mind) who say there cannot be any possible benefits, regardless of the system. Naturally, all of them have zero experience with the gear I've referenced - certainly not limited to my own. I never did get a response from Woodman after I asked him as to his specific experience beyond TV repair. He tried his best to "imagine" what I was talking about.

Woodman on AC

Over the years, more than one poster here has also suggested that I invest in room treatments instead of tweaky cords. Naturally, those guys don't realize (or bother to check gallery) that I already use various treatments in my system and have done so since I was a teenager. I use a dozen bass traps, damping panels, ficus trees, etc. for that very reason. I spent a day using a Radio Shack SPL meter on a tripod using a Stereophile Test CD to get the bass response remarkably flat in the bottom four octaves. I have always gotten that concept and invested in that side of the system first. While the audible benefits from lowering the noise floor using power conditioning strategies are subtle, I have nevertheless found them to be there.

rw

This apology

Considered and rejected once I got to know a number of these designers. The folks I've met are genuine music enthusiasts. I'll leave the conspiracy theories to others.
    rw
    I apologize if I seem to be questioning the sincerity of those folks or accusing them of being less than honest. I'm sure they're thoroughly ingenuous. But the truth is, though, that human beings can believe whatever they want to believe, and biases and self-interest generally affect what they want to believe. Amongst audiophiles, self-delusion is common, (though it's not unique to audiophiles).

But the truth is, though, that human beings can believe whatever they want to believe, and biases and self-interest generally affect what they want to believe.
    Please explain to me the "self-interest" motivation for audio designers acknowledging that the use of products sold by companies completely unrelated to their own enhances theirs? How do they directly benefit from recommending complementary components? Surely not monetarily. Do you think audiophiles prefer the notion of having to buy something else to optimize the use of the primary component? That makes absolutely no sense to me. I have never followed this speculative line of thinking.

rw

No accusation, like I said

Please explain to me the "self-interest" motivation for audio designers acknowledging that the use of products sold by companies completely unrelated to their own enhances theirs? How do they directly benefit from recommending complementary components? Surely not monetarily. Do you think audiophiles prefer the notion of having to buy something else to optimize the use of the primary component? That makes absolutely no sense to me. I have never followed this speculative line of thinking.

rw
    No, I'm not accusing any of them of venality. That people subscribe to the popular myths for the reason that they do wish to seem out of step or "policitally incorrect. Yet they most often do this unconsciously.

The myth I'm talking about is the audiophile myth that (a) all factors make a difference, and (b) that all differences are significant.

E-Stat,

Each to his own, and I'm genuinely not against others spending their money however they wish. But people who don't have a balanced perspective are generally not the best source of an un-biased opinion. I haven't heard all powercords so can't make a valued judgement overall that others could rely on. But I do know this; the value offered is low for the aftermarket powercords I've heard in friends systems.

I do have three aftermarket powercords myself, all from monster cable. I paid over $100 each for them I believe. They are extremely well constructed and do look rather attractive in a macho sort of way, but for the life of me I can't here a difference between these and a $4.95 PC cord from Frys electronics.

With all due respect, I must submit that the 'conspiracy theory' remark is a cop-out. Are you insinuating that everyone offering resistance to the idea (that very expensive after market powercords are absolutely neccessary for premium performance) are 'loonies' endorsing conspiracy theories? Incidently, my powerconditioners are the Tice Powerblock/titan; one pair for each channel. Power conditioners offer more value I believe. I just can't figure out how a power cord can cost more than the Shunyata Hydra for example. What a topsy turvy world we live in...

By the way, Hi Bill.
    Last edited by O'Shag; 06-30-2007 at 09:19 PM.

As far as whole house power conditioning is concerned, I've though about implementing the following set up;

Solar panels on roof feed set of batteries in basement dedicated to audio system, which provide unninterrupted power for about two days, but are continuously recharging. The batteries feed dedicated circuits in the listening room. I've read about a battery system in a periodical a while back. I think one was demonstrated at CES or some audio show in Europe. I don;t know how feasible the solar-powered source would be i.e. if enough electricity would be generated to make it practical. but I intend to research this. As far as expensive powercords being neccessary, I wouldn;t think so. All well-designed components are configured to reject EMI/RFI, and if the source power is clean than I would think it would be overkill to spend more on expensive powercords.

E-Stat, which would you choose; a) JPS Labs Illuminata (set of two) or the Mark Levinson No. 326s or No. 32 reference preamps, both of which regenerate their own AC and a very pure power sinwave?

With all due respect, I must submit that the 'conspiracy theory' remark is a cop-out. Are you insinuating that everyone offering resistance to the idea (that very expensive after market powercords are absolutely neccessary for premium performance) are 'loonies' endorsing conspiracy theories?
    Not at all. I simply question those who use that specific excuse as the basis for their speculation. I find direct exposure far more valuable.

Incidently, my powerconditioners are the Tice Powerblock/titan; one pair for each channel. Power conditioners offer more value I believe.
    I use conditioners as well. Just not for power amps where most limit current delivery and thus dynamics and bass impact (there are a few notable exceptions). It is here I find aftermarket cords most valuable. Similarly, shielded cords minimize transmission via radiated RFI. So you condition the line and get rid of house wiring borne nasties for your preamp only to pick up garbage from a nearby DAC.

I just can't figure out how a power cord can cost more than the Shunyata Hydra for example.
    Well, mine certainly don't unless you get a really long one! And it uses six nines silver for the hot and ground wires.

By the way, Hi Bill.
    Nice to meet you!

rw

Yet they most often do this unconsciously.
    Sorry, I just don't find any use for speculative gossip.

rw

All well-designed components are configured to reject EMI/RFI, and if the source power is clean than I would think it would be overkill to spend more on expensive powercords.
    Configured, yes. Completely successful? I've yet to hear a high quality component NOT benefit from a good cord.

E-Stat, which would you choose; a) JPS Labs Illuminata (set of two) or the Mark Levinson No. 326s or No. 32 reference preamps, both of which regenerate their own AC and a very pure power sinwave?
    Howzat for an apples and oranges comparison? Not to mention a financially unbalanced one. A quick perusal at Stereophile.com reports the 326s goes for $10k, the 32 goes for $14.5k while a pair of Aluminatas run $7k. Two AC cords vs. a line stage? For starters, I don't find any use for a line stage. My CDP runs through DACT attenuators and drives my amps directly. I have a phono preamp, but use it for vinyl only. Consequently, I would never run into such a choice.

What I do is weigh the relative benefit of changing or adding any component with my system. As a detail freak and listener at modest levels, my preferences are not necessarily everyone else's.

rw

What an....

.....in depth discussion about Power cords. My findings mirror E-Stats.
    My biggest improvement came once I had a completely dedicated circuit wired with Kimber Cable, with it's own metering unit, for the System.
    I do use Mains products from Isotek. The Titan for the amp(s) and the Nova for the front ends. No lack of dynamics over here. I also found that using Kimber Power cords in conjunction with the Kimber Mains re-wire really paid off.
    Last year I did a little experiement and used my Teac Office system in the re-wired listening room and with the Kimber Power Cords. The Mains products alone were something like 10 times the cost of the Teac System. The difference was startling.
    Any doubter should try to power a budget item through a dedicated mains application. It's an eye or ear oppener.

Peace

"Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Ok E-stat and Bernd, your arguments are convincing me enough that I must do some more extensive listening to some powercords myself to make a more informed judgement. What I've heard in my friends' systems does not have me convinced, but perhaps I can get a lend to try in my own system. My Audio Reseach Classic 120 & 150 monoblocks have large-ish powercords built on so there's nothing I can do there. The two Levinson No. 27 monoaural amps I've just aquired to run as monoblocks in bridged mode do allow for aftermarket powercords. I'm willing to give some reasonably priced powercords a go if I'm satisfied there is a noticable difference, so your suggestions as to what constitutes a reasonably priced/ high performance powercord would be welcome.

Incidentally e-stat; I think the comparison I offered was valid. The Mark Levinson No 32 reference can be had on the used market for $8,500- $9,000, and the illuminata runs 7k for two cords, but at what length? The length for my purposes and for many others I'd imagine, is a vital factor. Even now I struggle to get all my components hooked up without the use of extension cables for a few devices, and this despite the fact that I have two sets of Tice Powerblock/ Titans; one for each channel. For a powercord to be really useful, it would have to be at least eight feet preferrably longer. Otherwise one is confined to a very limited setup.

Bernd, I'm originally from Stockport in Cheshire, but have been in the US since the early eighties. EEE-Bay-guum.
    Last edited by O'Shag; 07-03-2007 at 12:23 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information