it's about the music

cables that sound similar to nordost?

So nordost stopped producing the solar wind interconnect JUST when i needed another pair to hook up my preamp and power amp now that i'm going the separates route.
    Even though i ain't much of a cable believer, i do think they make a difference, and i do think that different cables sound different.
    i love the sound of nordost because they are very transparent, and have a wonderful trebble (some people say they are overly bright, but i like them)
    however now that they're not producing the solar wind, and i refuse to lay down a couple hundred bucks for a 0.5 meter interconnect (price of the blue heaven) i'm looking for another brand which sells cables which have a similar sound to the nordosts, ie the diametrical opposite of Van Den Hull or Cardas. Any comments, advice?
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    I love the sound of nordost because they are very transparent.........i'm looking for another brand which sells cables which have a similar sound to the nordosts, ie the diametrical opposite of Van Den Hull or Cardas.
    If a cable is transparent, then they don't have any sound. And if they have the sound that you like , then they are not transparent. So as you can see how your two sentences contradict each other.

I would opt for a transparent cable (below link), and enhance the sound of the system via other methods than cables

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    You might want to check out Alpha Core Micro Purls. They are reasonably priced, solid core and comparable in sound to the entry level Nordost IMO. They also make a silver version but I find silver in my system a bit bright. Cables that I have tried that are silver over copper also sound bright to my ears.

www.alphacore.com
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

it's about the music
    interesting. i would have thought that since capacitance and inductance can only REDUCE bass and trebble, a brigther cable (brightness being dictated by the trebble response) would be the more transparent one...
    It might happen, however, that there is TOO much trebble in some sources, or an amp that boosts the trebble response, in which case a cable which has a slightly lower trebble response will take some of the brightness away from the system. This cable might sound better, but will be less transparent.
    please correct me if i'm wrong
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

Thread Information