Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Aging Smartass

Pangea PC-9 Power Cord

I have to admit that I've been skeptical that a power cord could make any difference in the sound of an audio system, but the prices and appearance of the various Pangea models available at Audio Advisor caught my interest.

The PC-9 is super-thick (actually, according to Pangea, 7-guage and not the 9 guage their literature states), and pretty hefty too. The 1.5 meter cable I purchased was quite heavy. At a price of only $75 - an incredible bargain, considering the multi-thousand dollar prices for many AudioQuest power cords - and with a 30-day returrn policy, I figured, what the heck?

So? Does it work? Absolutely YES, and quite well too! The claims are that the PC-9 is best mated to a "high-current" amp, which mine is (the Adcom GFA-5800),. My speakers (slightly modified Dahlquist DQ-10's) gobble up both high current and power easily.

The differences? First, dynamics. When music gets loud, as most symphonic music does, it gets really LOUD, and a good deal louder than before. I've had to back off on the volume control several times during some listening trials. Second, everything has a smoother, less restrained sound, with a very significant improvement in bass response (quite an accomplishment, since the power cord isn't connected in any way to my suboowfer, but is only involved with the DQ-10's whose bass response was never anything to write home about). In a nutshell, music now sounds less compressed, though I didn't think it sounded compressed before

Is the difference night and day? No, but it's easy to detect. The dynamics of an orchestra, specifically much of the 3rd and 4th movements of Bruckner's 4th on a BIS SACD, have never sounded so good. Fortunately, it isn't just louder, but smoother and more lifelike too.

I suspect several will think I'm nuts, and that a power cord couldn't possibly make any difference. To those who may feel that way, I have but one suggestion: buy one yourself: it isn't expensive, and if you don't think it makes any difference, you can get your money back. So, you can't lose by trying. My guess is that, if anyone does buy one of these, who doesn't already own some super-expensive model from some other manufacturer, that person will keep the PC-9.

Highly recommended.

Suspended
    I do have some other power cords I found effective. I've heard good things about the Pangean cords and it's good to hear your experience. If you can replace the cord on your CDP or phono stage you will really hear a benefit, the improvement I found more noticeable than on my power amp.

Forum Regular
    Emaidel,

Thanks for posting you review of this product. I've wondered about the Pangea power cord for some time. Glad to know its working quite well for you.

LeRoy

Aging Smartass
    [QUOTE If you can replace the cord on your CDP or phono stage you will really hear a benefit, the improvement I found more noticeable than on my power amp.[/QUOTE]

My next planned purchase is a different Pangea cord, designed specifically for either source material (like CD and SACD players) and/or preamps. The cable is a good deal less bulky than the PC-9, and is also less expensive.

Since my wife hates it each time I purchase another "tweak," it'll be a little while before I make these purchases though!

Forum Regular
    Well, I just placed the order for a PC-9. I was on the fence between the Pangea or the mains lead from Rega. I'll probably get the Rega power cord later since it's got my curiosity but for now the Pangea is en route.

edit: I've been utilizing the Wire World Aurora power cords for my sources and amplification needs. I'm eager to see what difference the Pangea adds or subtracts to the mix.

Thanks fellas!

Hmmmm. You guys got my attention now....as I have to be wondering about the power cords. I think a purchase is in order for me now. Thanks.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

A dealer here in St.Louis...

...sells the Pangea a little cheaper than AA but he does not have any in stock. But I did place an order with him so mine should be here next week.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Aging Smartass
    I'd be very interested to hear what you guys think of the Pangea PC-9, once those you've ordered arrive. I have no other comparison for the PC-9 than to the stock power cord that came on the Adcom GFA-5800, which was fairly substantial to begin with, though nowhere hear as enormous as the PC-9. I did use that Adcom stock cable on my Marantz SA-8001 SACD player to replace the stock cable that came with it, and noticed a subtle improvement, so at least that power cord didn't go to waste. That is, of course, until I buy another Pangea cord...

Now, several days later, I'm still mightily impressed with the improvements the PC-9 has made, but have to state that the one that is the most substantial is the imrpovement in dynamics. On many a disc, I have to turn the volume down, as the music is so much louder, that it's downright uncomfortable!

Of course, the "surpreme" test is whether or not my wife hears any difference, as she usually thinks my replacing cables, power cords, etc., is silly. And, yes, she DID hear a difference!

Forum Regular

Well you might have to rename the cable to....

the "Supreme" cable..

Forum Regular
    Emaidel, thanks for blazing the Pangea trail. I got my Pangea AC-9 yesterday and the thing really made a difference in my system. I connected the AC9 to the Belles Soloist amp and immediately I heard I darker background in the music plus bass I never knew the system was capable of delivering. Said another way, until I put the AC9 into service my Belles, Musical Fidelity X-Ray, and Canton GLE 403's were simply missing low end depth and fullness.

So, first thing this morning...I've already placed another order for an AC9 so I can use that on the Rega Brio 3. Also, I've ordered 3 of the AC-14SE power cords to put into service with the XRAY and Stello units. Additionally, I ordered the Pangea C7 power cord for my Marantz DVD/CD player for H.T.

I am now going to redirect the Wire World Aurora 52's to the H.T. system, Arcam and RBH sub woofer. The Pangea AC9 power cord is a no-brainer product and the idea of a Pangea system of power cabling was too good to pass up especially at the price point.

LeRoy

Edit: Here is the link to AA.
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/products...title&sort_by=
    Last edited by LeRoy; 11-19-2010 at 06:19 AM.

Well emaidel, you have sparked an interest in me to trying these also. I can't seem to find a PC-9 on the site, did you mean an AC-9 like LeRoy stated?
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Well emaidel, you have sparked an interest in me to trying these also. I can't seem to find a PC-9 on the site, did you mean an AC-9 like LeRoy stated?

You're right, and I stand corrected. Check the post just before yours for the link to buy one.

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy
    I heard I darker background in the music plus bass I never knew the system was capable of delivering. LeRoy

I noticed the same thing, but what I find so amazing is that I'm using the AC-9 on my power amp that's driving my Dahlquist DQ-10's, and it is in no way connected to my subwoofer! While my DQ-10's have been modified in several different ways, all I did with the woofers was have them rebuilt several years back, just restoring them to their original performance specs, and as most of us know, the bass response of a DQ-10 isn't anything to write home about.

I also plan to replace the power cords in my preamp and SACD player with Pangea cords, but not until my wife gets over my having bought the AC-9. She's really not that into tweaking, as I am, and asked me, "When does it stop?" My response? "Never."

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    You're right, and I stand corrected. Check the post just before yours for the link to buy one.
    Thanks E, just wanted to make sure I order the right one.

Just placed an order for a 1.5m AC-9. Hope they don't ship with Fed Up, er I mean Fed Ex, to the Great White North!!!!

What the hay, added a 3 pack of the 1.5m AC-14's to my order. they are on sale 3 for $110.00, regularly $112.50 each. This works out to less than $115.0 CDN right now.

Might as well see if this power cable thing is real. Certainly can't hurt to have decently shielded power cables and for this price what's to loose.

Suspended
    This thread is scary Glad to see you guys trying for yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody

You know what they say " when emaidel talks, people listen".

Forum Regular

DQ-10's....I always wanted a pair of those...

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    I noticed the same thing, but what I find so amazing is that I'm using the AC-9 on my power amp that's driving my Dahlquist DQ-10's, and it is in no way connected to my subwoofer! While my DQ-10's have been modified in several different ways, all I did with the woofers was have them rebuilt several years back, just restoring them to their original performance specs, and as most of us know, the bass response of a DQ-10 isn't anything to write home about.

I also plan to replace the power cords in my preamp and SACD player with Pangea cords, but not until my wife gets over my having bought the AC-9. She's really not that into tweaking, as I am, and asked me, "When does it stop?" My response? "Never."
    Hey, I recall drooling over the DQ 10's many times over back in the mid to late 70's. I used to think they were the coolest speakers I'd ever seen or heard though today I can't recall what they sounded like. Anyway, good to know you have a classic in you audio empire.

Well, its interesting that the AC9 is able to improve your overall all system sound and performance simply by being connected somewhere in the chain. Have you tried to connect "the thing" into any other part of the system to see if it has the same overall effect?

Stay thirsty my friend.

LeRoy

Forum Regular

Hey, LDB

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    What the hay, added a 3 pack of the 1.5m AC-14's to my order. they are on sale 3 for $110.00, regularly $112.50 each. This works out to less than $115.0 CDN right now.

Might as well see if this power cable thing is real. Certainly can't hurt to have decently shielded power cables and for this price what's to loose.
    I agree it can't hurt at the price point. It should be interesting to see what the AC14's will do for overall system SQ.

I don't think I saw the special that you mentioned you bought into. I had my blinders on and simply went for the SE version and placed the order. I'll be interested to know what your impressions are on the whole effect of the Pangea power cable system in your rig.

LeRoy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    The value of aftermarket power cords was illustrated to me many years ago when a reviewer friend brought over his three Kimber Palladians and we auditioned them in my system. I got it. Despite the inability of the non-experiential theorists to imagine the kinds of differences power cords or power supplies can make, the improvements are real

rw

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy
    I agree it can't hurt at the price point. It should be interesting to see what the AC14's will do for overall system SQ.

I don't think I saw the special that you mentioned you bought into. I had my blinders on and simply went for the SE version and placed the order. I'll be interested to know what your impressions are on the whole effect of the Pangea power cable system in your rig.

LeRoy
    The special only applies to the AC-9's and the AC-14's, one would think that they could offer it for the SE's to. It also only applies to the 1.5 and 2.0 meter lengths. Must of built up their stock of those too much.

I hope I have enough patience to try a cable on each component individually before I put them all in.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    The value of aftermarket power cords was illustrated to me many years ago when a reviewer friend brought over his three Kimber Palladians and we auditioned them in my system. I got it. Despite the inability of the non-experiential theorists to imagine the kinds of differences power cords or power supplies can make, the improvements are real

rw
    Kinda natural progression of building a system up over time. I liken it to good housekeeping after the components, speakers*, IC's and speaker cabling is looked after.

*I do need a speaker upgrade but that's going to be a lot bigger ticket item.

Forum Regular
    Two words that keep coming into mind to describe the new SQ with the Pangea. First, vitality. The darker background and added bass depth simply make the music more energized in overall presentation. Second word, vividness. The Patricia Barber live recordings, Companion, and Live a Fortnight in France, which are both already very, very high SQ simply got even more vivid. Also, background music,voices, noises in recording are easily audible so the AC9 is somehow impacting resolution in the CD playback in a very positive manner.

I've not been able to detect a change in tonality or changes in mid or high end extension. It's all good. So, there it is in two words. Pangea AC9 in my system equals vitality and vividness added into my audio system.

Suspended
    LeRoy, you describe the effect of better power cables very well. With the stock cord we don't notice the noise but with the after market cable cleaning it up you sure hear when it's gone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information