Forum Regular

Can someone explain if the RCA-male-to-2-female

Can someone explain if the RCA-male-to-2-female-splitter cable works for either video or audio signal? Posts concerning these cables on ebay do not say they can be used for both of them. Thanks a lot.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by videotree
    Can someone explain if the RCA-male-to-2-female-splitter cable works for either video or audio signal? Posts concerning these cables on ebay do not say they can be used for both of them. Thanks a lot.
    The device that you're referring to, which is known as a "Y-adaptor", will "work" for any type of signal - audio or video that you want to put through it. Whether or not using one will incur a noticeable signal loss is something that cannot be categorically stated as a fact in every case. It depends on three factors:

a. the "load" presented to the signal by the devices that are attached to it

b. whether or not that "load" is affected by the device being powered up or not

c. the attitude of the viewer/listener as to whether or not there WILL be an objectionable degradation of signal quality ... in other words, he's EXPECTING it to occur

Hope this answers your question
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular
    by Videotree
    "Can someone explain if the RCA-male-to-2-female-splitter cable works for either video or audio signal? Posts concerning these cables on ebay do not say they can be used for both of them. Thanks a lot."

Well Videotree I use "Y" adapter on my stereo and have no problems. I tend to only use one devise at a time but when powering two devices have had no problems. Could not tell you if there will never be a problem, try it and if all sound or looks well it should be OK. Never noticed any sound quality loss.

by Woodman
    "c. the attitude of the viewer/listener as to whether or not there WILL be an objectionable degradation of signal quality ... in other words, he's EXPECTING it to occur"

I guess this works both ways! I believe there will be a difference so there is or I believe there will not be a difference so there is none at all.

I use these after my preamp to send a full range signal to both my power amp and powered subwoofer. I don't notice any signal degradation in the main speakers. Hard to say about the sub though 'cause I don't listen to that alone. I have used the mains w/o the sub and don't notice any degradation.

Dunno about video. give it a try. It's cheap enough. Let us know what you find out.

Forum Regular
    Thank you all. I'll try it on video and post the result later.

Quote Originally Posted by videotree
    Thank you all. I'll try it on video and post the result later.
    Sorry to say, but using a "Y" connectors for video application is not a good idea (even if picture is not degraded). Since video input/outputs have 75 ohm impedance, that impedance should be maintained thru out the video connections. And the only way to achieve that is by using a video switch box
    "Say Hello To My Little Friend."

Thread Information