Forum Regular

Replacing jumpers

I don't biwire my speakers and am using the standard jumpers that come with the speakers. What is the consensus on replacing those with some quality speaker wire? Obviously it is easy and cheap to do, but would like to hear people's opinions anyhow.

Forum Regular Mwalsdor_cscc_edu's Avatar

Cool Probably not an option for you...

but I replaced the "stock jumpers" on my Silverline Sonationa's by just running my speaker wire from the bottom post - top post. But these are DIY 24awg solid silver encased in 20awg teflon, non-teminated [just bare wire exposed at termination point]. So it's pretty EZ and painless to strip off an additional 2.5" of teflon whereas even if your cables aren't terminated you're still talking about cutting into the jacketing. The best connector is no connector.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Well, hot diggity-dog...

...Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year! And/or anything else I may have missed!!! What's it been? A couple of sets of them days at least? Nice to see you back...

Not only that, not only that...I actually agree with you...

jimHJJ(...how's things otherwise...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

My local dealer just takes short (~6") sections of silver cabling and terminates them with spades. Would work just as well without any termination. They go with spades because of how frequently they switch out those homemade jumpers in the demo room.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year! And/or anything else I may have missed!!!
    And you too Jim!

I've been real active with my running and keeping up with my three young boys. In fact, till we moved from the loft to this house I had boxed the stereo up. Now it's been relegated to the master bedroom. But at least I can listen again [without prying fingers about].

I resigned my moderator position over at AudioKarma. I didn't feel I was putting in enough time to serve the members and there were just too many issues with the adminstration that I didn't agree with so I quit. I'm happier just to be a regular again. Man, this place is dead! I can't even get anyone to blast me for using silver cables! I miss the old gang, that was fun.

Keep in touch. MikE a promise kept

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
    I can't even get anyone to blast me for using silver cables!
    Why would anybody in their right mind use silver cables.

Wires are wires, it doesn't make a difference..just go with a bigger copper wire.

And spades What's wrong with you

There...happy?

Welcome back.

Cheers, John

Now that's more like it!

A bit comatose...

Man, this place is dead! I can't even get anyone to blast me for using silver cables! I miss the old gang, that was fun.
    ...you've caught us in a fallow period...ZZZzzz...it's off-season, but there are still some fireworks now and again...ZZZzzz, snort, drool...although nothing approaching the days when the epicenter revolved around eyespy, mtrycrafts and JR...even most of the supporting cast of characters have migrated for parts unknown...on a sad note, conjecture is Woodman left for the big test-bench in the sky...

Nowadays we seem to be experiencing a spate of "what's the best_____(insert product here)"-type of inquiries...not too many extremists left...in fact most of the recent episodes of unpleasantness weren't even about wire...the gravitational pull of a MOTR mindset seems to have trumped all.

Then, of course, there are morons like me...

jimHJJ(...stick around, always a few laughs to be had...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

Forum Regular

Replacing Jumpers

You can get copper ribbon jumpers from Mapleshade for $20. They don't look like much, but they work well, and they're inexpensive to try.

Forum Regular
    i did it with my jm labs cobalts.had a couple of pieces of ixos speaker cable and used it.so extra cost was zero.cant say it made a large difference,but did not hurt.

thanks
    bill

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys, that's kind of what I thought. I have plenty of extra speaker wire laying around, so it won't cost anything to try it. I'll just see what happens. I expect nothing, but what the hell...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by zepman1
    Thanks guys, that's kind of what I thought. I have plenty of extra speaker wire laying around, so it won't cost anything to try it. I'll just see what happens. I expect nothing, but what the hell...
    I wouldn't bother, myself. But it won't hurt to use wire, except for the aggravation. Even silver wire won't hurt anything beyond it costing something. But there's no evidence it will actually help anything, either, unless your connections were corroded or dirty--but then, the solution is to clean them!
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Forum Regular

Woodman

[QUOTE=Resident Loseron a sad note, conjecture is Woodman left for the big test-bench in the sky...
    ..)[/QUOTE]

Is this accurate? Wow, that's sad, indeed! The old dude really had some strong opinions and his posts made a lot of sense, even if I didn't always agree. He was a worthy opponent. I wondered what happened to him.

Forum Regular
    but I replaced the "stock jumpers" on my Silverline Sonationa's by just running my speaker wire from the bottom post - top post. But these are DIY 24awg solid silver encased in 20awg teflon, non-teminated [just bare wire exposed at termination point]. So it's pretty EZ and painless to strip off an additional 2.5" of teflon whereas even if your cables aren't terminated you're still talking about cutting into the jacketing. The best connector is no connector.
    I did the same thing on my B & W's. Worked great.

Laz

I had posted...

[QUOTE=musicoverall][QUOTE=Resident Loseron a sad note, conjecture is Woodman left for the big test-bench in the sky...
    ..)[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    Is this accurate? Wow, that's sad, indeed! The old dude really had some strong opinions and his posts made a lot of sense, even if I didn't always agree. He was a worthy opponent. I wondered what happened to him.
    ...a question to him some time ago...ericl responded with that sad bit of guarded speculation...nothing really concrete, but it seems to be accurate by all accounts...

jimHJJ(...and he is certainly conspicuous by his absence...)

Forum Regular

Sad

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...a question to him some time ago...ericl responded with that sad bit of guarded speculation...nothing really concrete, but it seems to be accurate by all accounts...

jimHJJ(...and he is certainly conspicuous by his absence...)
    I remember he had posted that he smoked cigarettes for many years and was no longer able to play the saxophone. Hopefully, he's able to honk on it now wherever he is. And despite anyone's beliefs about heaven and hell, I'm sure he's arguing vehemently with someone somewhere about ABE's!

Thread Information