No Joke: Candlestick is now MONSTER PARK (?!)

Think of all the absurd naming rights for ball parks and arenas that have been struck over the years. Well, now we officially have MONSTER PARK in San Francisco! No word yet if the 49ers' chin straps will also get replaced with silver core cabling.

I guess it was just a matter of time before a consumer electronics company would get a stadium named after themselves, but MONSTER CABLE?! What cables have to do with football is a concept I've yet to grasp. I guess that now the stadium PA systems will be audible because they got wired with Monster? Well, at least we now know where all that mark-up on the cables is going!

I don't know about you, but this is just beyond bizarre. At first glance, I thought it was the job hunting site Monster.com that had snagged the naming rights, since they do a ton of TV and radio advertising on NFL games already. I guess that this is Monster Cable's attempt to be more than some kooky company that only audio fanatics have heard about.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AGVO906R41.DTL

Call it whatever you want; Monster Park, 3Comm Park, et al. It will always be the 'stick to me . Hey Wooch, didja feel that little 6.0 we had this morning in Cen Cal? Made my Missions wobble here at the office. Ah yes, the fun we have in Cali!

Crazy thing is that the freeway exit signs still say "3Com Park" even though that naming rights deal expired almost two years ago! I thought Caltrans should have just made the exit signs say "Candlestick Point" and leave it at that, since that's actually where the road leads and the 3Com deal had an expiration date on it. IMO, it's just dumb to rename an existing stadium, because the fans aren't going to call the ballyard by a different name just because some faceless corporation tells them to do so. I doubt that too many Southsiders stopped calling their neighborhood ballpark Comiskey Park in favor of US Cellular Field. I'm just picturing the Monster.com blimp hovering over MONSTER (CABLE) PARK during NFL telecasts. It must be a joke!

I was on the road when the trembler rolled through the Bay Area, so I missed it! Heard it rolled around for close to a minute in San Francisco, and people in the high rises had a white knuckle moment.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Think of all the absurd naming rights for ball parks and arenas that have been struck over the years. Well, now we officially have MONSTER PARK in San Francisco! No word yet if the 49ers' chin straps will also get replaced with silver core cabling.

I guess it was just a matter of time before a consumer electronics company would get a stadium named after themselves, but MONSTER CABLE?! What cables have to do with football is a concept I've yet to grasp. I guess that now the stadium PA systems will be audible because they got wired with Monster? Well, at least we now know where all that mark-up on the cables is going!

I don't know about you, but this is just beyond bizarre. At first glance, I thought it was the job hunting site Monster.com that had snagged the naming rights, since they do a ton of TV and radio advertising on NFL games already. I guess that this is Monster Cable's attempt to be more than some kooky company that only audio fanatics have heard about.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AGVO906R41.DTL
    Tells you something about their profit margin, doesn't it.

-Bruce
    Last edited by FLZapped; 10-01-2004 at 11:19 AM.

SRO
    Forum Regular

Naming Rights

Quote Originally Posted by FLZapped
    Tells you something about their profit margin, doesn't it.

-Bruce
    Do you also complain about other companies buying the naming rights to stadiums, arenas, etc.? I'm sure there are several companies that do with much higher profits than Monster. What about companies that lose money and thengo to the government for a bailout ( United Airlines ring a bell? ), yet still pay for the rights to name an arena?

So, Noel Lee has a profitable company. Good for him. At least he is paying from his bank account, not with my tax money.

Quote Originally Posted by SRO
    Do you also complain about other companies buying the naming rights to stadiums, arenas, etc.? I'm sure there are several companies that do with much higher profits than Monster. What about companies that lose money and thengo to the government for a bailout ( United Airlines ring a bell? ), yet still pay for the rights to name an arena?

So, Noel Lee has a profitable company. Good for him. At least he is paying from his bank account, not with my tax money.
    Yes, I protest with my feet. When Joe Robbie Stadium was renamed Pro-Player Stadium(Pee Pee Park is what we called it), I never bought a single one of their products. They have since gone bankrupt. Their crap was also overpriced.

You're right, not from your tax dollars, directly from your wallet, afterall, he didn't personally finance that bank account. I'm not denying the guy has a profitable company nor the right to one, but quite frankly, I believe he is price gouging. Monster sells ordinary wire at extrodinary prices. So I neither use, nor recommend his products when asked, which is my right as a consumer.

-Bruce
    (and I won't even get into their predatory marketing tactics)

eqm
    I'm just happy my Rams spanked the 49ers in the first game of Monster park. BTW...why did he not call it Monster Cable Park...? I'm sure Monster.com got more hits than Monstercable.com got last night because of it!

GO CARDINALS!!! DESTROY THE DODGERS!!!!

Heck, you'alls could do worse than Monster Park, it sure sounds better than, say, PNC Park. And who knows? Maybe Godzilla'll show up!

Was that the stadium that had the lady announcer? I heard a takeoff on her, something like: That was number 24. Number 24........Has been changed. The new number is...

Think of it as that paragon of cables giving something back to the community they have - helped. Themselves to!

Pete
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by piece-it pete
    Heck, you'alls could do worse than Monster Park, it sure sounds better than, say, PNC Park. And who knows? Maybe Godzilla'll show up!

Was that the stadium that had the lady announcer? I heard a takeoff on her, something like: That was number 24. Number 24........Has been changed. The new number is...

Think of it as that paragon of cables giving something back to the community they have - helped. Themselves to!

Pete
    Yeah, the Giants were the first ones to go with a female PA announcer when they still played at Candlestick Park. The Giants went to a different PA announcer after they moved to Pac Bell Park (now called SBC Park, but no one calls it that around here), but the new announcer is female as well.

Quote Originally Posted by eqm
    I'm just happy my Rams spanked the 49ers in the first game of Monster park. BTW...why did he not call it Monster Cable Park...? I'm sure Monster.com got more hits than Monstercable.com got last night because of it!

GO CARDINALS!!! DESTROY THE DODGERS!!!!
    That just sounds so wrong! Oh, and the new stadium name doesn't go well either ...

You're probably right about Monster.com getting a huge boost from this. I think Monster Cable needs to change THEIR name if they want this stadium sponsorship to work out for them. If they switched the name to Monster Cable Park, then people might assume that the name refers to the cable cars. Regardless, everyone still calls it Candlestick.

Thread Information