• 07-27-2005, 04:56 PM
    ohio
    Newb question: which cables ddoes SACD run through?
    I've got a Pioneer DV-578A universal player hooked up to an Onkyo TX-NR900. Right now the only connection I'm using for audio is the digital coax. It plays CDs just fine, but with SACDs I get nothing...

    Haven't tried DVD-A yet, but I'm guessing I will need to use the analog RCA connections, which means the DACs in the player and some extra cables. If I wanted it to go to the DACs in the reciever, is that possible? What connection(s) do I need to use?

    Thanks in advance.
  • 07-27-2005, 05:02 PM
    Geoffcin
    For SACD, you need to use the analog cables.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ohio
    I've got a Pioneer DV-578A universal player hooked up to an Onkyo TX-NR900. Right now the only connection I'm using for audio is the digital coax. It plays CDs just fine, but with SACDs I get nothing...

    Haven't tried DVD-A yet, but I'm guessing I will need to use the analog RCA connections, which means the DACs in the player and some extra cables. If I wanted it to go to the DACs in the reciever, is that possible? What connection(s) do I need to use?

    Thanks in advance.

    There are 6 outputs for these on the back of your player. You cannot use the digital output of the multi-player for SACD.
  • 07-27-2005, 05:06 PM
    ohio
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    There are 6 outputs for these on the back of your player. You cannot use the digital output of the multi-player for SACD.

    Thanks for the quick reply!

    So there's no way to have the receiver do the processing? Is that also the case for DVD-A?
  • 07-27-2005, 06:25 PM
    markw
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ohio
    So there's no way to have the receiver do the processing?

    Correct. As you see from your current setup, it will treat the digital outpus as a two channel redbook cd, not a hi rez format.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ohio
    Is that also the case for DVD-A?

    Again, correctomundo.

    Receivers ,at this time, don't decode the hi rez formats. And, unless their acceptance by Joe Sixpack in the marketplace picks up drasticly, I doubt they ever will.

    It's all there in black and white if you read the manuals. ...and any articles written about these formats (and the hardware that plays them) since they came out several years ago.
  • 08-04-2005, 12:15 PM
    JBMAudio.com
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by markw
    Correct. As you see from your current setup, it will treat the digital outpus as a two channel redbook cd, not a hi rez format.
    Again, correctomundo.

    Receivers ,at this time, don't decode the hi rez formats. And, unless their acceptance by Joe Sixpack in the marketplace picks up drasticly, I doubt they ever will.

    It's all there in black and white if you read the manuals. ...and any articles written about these formats (and the hardware that plays them) since they came out several years ago.

    Mark is correct.
  • 08-10-2005, 01:00 PM
    sofsoldier
    That is correct. As a note of remember, if you have a "Universal" SACD player - but then it will be called simply a "Universal" player - things are a bit different.

    I have one of these, by Marantz and its quite nice. I have to connect the digital cables (for DVD-A, CD and DVD) as well as the separate interconnects for SACD.

    If you only want one set of cables with a Universal player, then have everything go through the interconnects (all 6 of them).

    Also as a heads up, most Universal players will have an on screen menu so you can select 2 channel versus 5.1 (I think its 5.1, anyway...) for both DVD-A and SACD so if you want to use your SACD player through a 2 channel pre-amp or receiver, it is possible. I am not sure about a stand alone SACD player since there is no on screen guide, there may be a switch for this on the back.

    Just an FYI...
  • 08-14-2005, 06:17 AM
    musicman1999
    not exactly true
    you must also use 6 interconnects for dvd-audio
    i have a stand alone sacd player,and you are right no onscreen display,so set up changes are made on the front display just like everything else.

    thanks
    bill
  • 11-19-2005, 03:06 AM
    bappy
    Having these terrible situation can anybody suggest if I can get two channel sacd through connecting only two channel analog audio connection or I have to connect all six of them even fro 2 Ch. sacd.

    And can I get 2 Ch. effect on a multi Ch. sacd. Very confussion, but pls answer.

    bappy
  • 11-19-2005, 04:32 AM
    markw
    Yes and no.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bappy
    Having these terrible situation can anybody suggest if I can get two channel sacd through connecting only two channel analog audio connection or I have to connect all six of them even fro 2 Ch. sacd.

    And can I get 2 Ch. effect on a multi Ch. sacd. Very confussion, but pls answer.

    bappy

    Yes, if you only use two analog connects between your SACD and amp, you'll only get two channels. Many SACD's ARE only two channels anyway. "SACD" is NOT synonymous with "5.1 channels"

    for Any multichannel-channell SACD's that you might have, you might want to be sure that you simply don't "lose" any additional information on the other channels. Check your SACD player manual to see if they can be combined via some menu option thereof.

    Personally, if you have the ability to run all six channels to your receiver, I'd say go for it.