AR Newbie Registered Member

digital coax cable

I purchased a new receiver and dvd player (sony). The receiver only has a digital coax input (no optical). Do I have to use a specialy purchased digital co-ax cable, or can I use half of an ordinary rca patch cord that I already have laying around?

Pretty much any 75 ohm cable will do.

Most definitely a video coax with the yellow RCA jacks will work but most likely any modern red/white one will work also. Doesn't cost anything to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by rajman
    I purchased a new receiver and dvd player (sony). The receiver only has a digital coax input (no optical). Do I have to use a specialy purchased digital co-ax cable, or can I use half of an ordinary rca patch cord that I already have laying around?
    A digital coax cable and composite and component video cable are the same thing. They have the same specifications.

On the other hand red/white audio cables do not have the same specifications since baseband audio signals aren't that difficult to transmit. These cables can be used as video or digital audio cables but there may be issues when these cables are extremely long or when they are of the dental floss variety. Think of it like shooting a rifle. Anybody can his a target that is two feet away but it's a different story from 300 yards.

Like markw said, it's free to try and won't hurt a thing.

A non-technical friend of mine was most impressed and changed his perception on a lot things related to cables when I connected his digital cable box composite video to his TV using the most flimsy piece of audio cable I could find. It was about 6 feet long and the TV picture did not change a bit.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

digital coax cable

Quote Originally Posted by rajman
    GO OUT AND BUY A COAX CABLE,THE QUALITY IS BETTER WHEN YOUR VIEWING A MOVIE (THERE A REASON ITS THERE )LOOK IN YOUR OWNER MANUAL .WHEN I PUT A MOVIE IN MY DVD PLAYER MY RECEIVER READS DIGITAL COAX AND PLAYS MUSIC AND MOVIE AS ITS TO BE PLAYED!(DOLBY DIGITAL!!!!!!!)DONT NEED MONSTER CABLE ,EVEN WAL-MART SELLS THEM CHEAP ,RADIO SHACK ECT ECT .PAT.P

Thread Information