Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question replacement power cables?? any advice?

I have just discovered that some people think that replacing the 'stock' power cable to your amp/receiver will help sound quality? sounds crazy but hey ya never know, any advice as to what replacement cable I would use for a Yamaha receiver? Or does the story hold any water? thanks for any input on this subject.

Forum Regular

Aftermarket Power Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman00
    I have just discovered that some people think that replacing the 'stock' power cable to your amp/receiver will help sound quality? sounds crazy but hey ya never know, any advice as to what replacement cable I would use for a Yamaha receiver? Or does the story hold any water? thanks for any input on this subject.
    The power cable that came with your equipment is just fine. You will notice no improvement by the addition of any aftermarket cables no matter how expensive they are. Save your money.

Talking thanx for the advice

i appreicate you're info. take care.

Forum Regular
    I would suggest giving it a try. There may actually be an audible difference, espesially on CD players etc. I was skeptical about a power cords ability to effect sonic performance until I auditioned several different kinds in my home. That said, your money is probably better spent on other components. It's interesting to see how a seemingly insignificant component can affect the sound.
    -Shwamdoo

Forum Regular
    Better power cords can and do make a difference. I would suggest you check out signalcable.com or vhaudio.com for their offerings. They both offer a trial period, so you can try them out and send them back if you're not satisfied. Only YOUR ears can decide what you like or don't like.

"Better power cords can and do make a difference."

Well, now that we've got the definitive answer from a reputable source, I guess we can all pack up and go home now.

It didn't do a dang thing for my Marantz 7C.

Seriously, if you want to play around with this, make sure that you don't have to go inside the unit and desolder/solder anything to play with this. When you find it really doesn't improve anything, you will find you won't get your money back for the cable and you will have voided any warranty you might have bad on the receiver.

If you want to maks a significant change, play with speaker placement or moving furniture in the room. Now THERE'S a real worthwhile tweak. Free, harmless and guaranteed results.

Forum Regular
    I guess because I've heard positive improvements in changing power cords and because I don't have 1200+ posts here that it somehow makes me disreputable. Your ears didn't like the result with your Marantz 7C, so everybody who hears differences is wrong. Of course, everyone has the same equipment as you do, in the same room, they have the same musical tastes....and they listen with your ears! Amazing! Another possiblility for the original poster is to try a Volex 17604. They can be had for less than $7 from www.newark.com. I would agree with markw that you should not change the power cord if you have to go inside the unit and desolder/solder the original cord. Only consider experimentation if your Yamaha has an IEC connection and detachable PC.

"Better power cords can and do make a difference."

That's a pretty absolute statement. I merely "proved" that it is not true.

Sorry if you took offense to it. (fingers crossed behind back )

Forum Regular
    Sorry, I failed to detect any "proof" that you offered. Stating your opinion is proof? And, of course you WERE trying to be offensive. I hope the original poster can take something useful from this thread.

Hometheaterhifi did a listening test with power cords a couple of months ago. Conclusion? Nobody in that listening session could reliably identify significant differences between the power cords tested.

Even if people could reliably identify differences between power cords, do they make enough of an improvement in your system's performance to justify the often obscenely high prices charged for these products? That question is for you to decide. Personally, I would just stick with a stock power cord and invest the money saved into other parts of the system where the return on investment is better. Markw's right in that room rearrangements and system adjustments more often than not make noticeable (and measureable) differences in system performance, and don't cost a dime.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-12-2004.html

AR Newbie Registered Member

I believe in miracles

I was under the impression that a wire is gust a wire. This all changed when I decided to upgrade my system with newer wires. I did not want to get burned in this considering the cost of hi-end cables. So I did my research and began to learning about the different materials that go into a good wire and how they react to a audio system. The first place I hit was ebay and sterophile’s marketplace for good cables at cheap prices. After 2 weeks I found this company called zombie cables on ebay. Now I looked all over the web and could no find any such company, but the auctions said allot, giving critical technical specs and a company profile on there philosophy – I was scared to say the least about this but decided that it looks and sounds good in writing. 2 weeks ago I received the power cords and even had one custom built to 8’ from the distributor on ebay. I was hoping that I did not need to return them because they do nothing to improve sound. I was amassed on how much change took place- mostly for the good. My system sounded deeper in the bass area and the highs sounded as if a layer of smoke was removed from the sound. Not to say that I did not love the sound that I already was hearing from my system, it gust was amazing that cables make a difference, maybe more so then changing components, which would have bin 3 times the cost. Zombie cables highly recommended at there price- sounded better then the audioquest power cord that I also purchased and am now returning.

Wow. These must be better than Nordst Valhallas.

Even the experts couldn't discern any differences when the DUT was unknown.

I see this is your first post. Welcome.

"...it gust was amazing that cables make a difference, maybe more so then changing components, which would have bin 3 times the cost."

Isn't that laying it on a little deep?

Pardon me for saying this, but when a glowing report for a particular product is the basis of one's first post, a red flag always goes up. You wouldn't by chance have a vested interest in them, would you?
    Last edited by markw; 03-16-2005 at 10:20 AM.

I'm a complete layman when it comes to this but I thought the only function of a power cord was to transfer electricity from the wall outlet to the power supply. (Although I'm probably wrong when I even say that.) So I guess I could understand maybe switching out the power supply, but switching out the power cord seems pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman00
    My anecdotal experience is that power cords can improve the sound of some systems. It depends upon the resolution of the system in question and various environmental factors. The usual argument against such being the case is "how can the last six feet of whatever wire improve miles and miles of mediocre aluminum wiring?"

While the jury is out from a strictly objective standpoint, the answer is evident if you reverse the usual assumption. Why is the first six feet important? The answer is that the villains you are combatting are not found miles away in a sub station. They are found within your house, often inches or feet away from your receiver in the guise as digital devices (CDPs, Cable boxes, etc.) or other RF generating sources found elsewhere in your house. "Fancy" power cords are more than just wires and plugs. They are typically shielded, sometimes in multiple ways, and often include RF trap circuits wired into them. Consequently, they may reduce the amount of RF injected into the amplification stages.

What I detect with better cords in place is a darker, quieter background that allows more musical detail to come forth and be more evident. The differences are not night and day in magnitude. On the other hand, they can offer cost effective improvements for those who value greater musical detail in their systems.

If you are willing to waste $15 bucks, I would second the vote for buying the shielded 14 gauge Volex cable referenced above. That cable can determine whether or not your system is sensitive to power cords.

rw

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    The answer is that the villains you are combatting are not found miles away in a sub station. They are found within your house, often inches or feet away from your receiver in the guise as digital devices (CDPs, Cable boxes, etc.) or other RF generating sources found elsewhere in your house.
    rw
    That makes sense!

It's been years and a few upgrades ago that I tried power cables with no success... er... I mean, they didn't change the sound, "success" being a relative term in these parts! My speaker cable listening tests are over tonight (hurray!!!!) and if it the results turn out the way I think they will, I might make another attempt with power cords.

a former skeptic

When I first started putting together an 'above average' sound system, I couldn't believe that people spent hundreds of dollars on power cords. Nonsense I thought.

I just added a $130. VHAudio powerCord to my Adcom GFP-750 preamp. Clearly noticable improvement, my check out disc is always Dire Straits 'Brothers in Arms'. On the song brothers in arms, they're is a drum sound that I always thought was some kind of wood block being struck. The Power cord improvement untangles this, I now hear the drummer hitting the rim of the drum at the same time he hits the kick drum. The whole sound of the system is cleaner, more soundstage, more 'I never heard that before'.
    I think you have to have a certain level of resolving stereo to hear a power cord improvement, I have about 4K into my audio hobby, modest to some, expensive to others, but I listens to alot of music and want the best sound I can afford.

In my system, the $130 was money well spent, I'm hearing my CD's afresh, hard to tear myself away at times.

Subtle but real

I have heard differences between power cables, Specifically the stock cables and my current choices the Zu cables "Birth". Are these differences enormous, not in this system, but I have heard greater differences in other systems. In this system the difference is generally quieter backgrounds and thus better depth and imaging. Can I prove it, no. Do I need to, no. This is a subjective belief on my part.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Forum Regular
    Power cords and other in-line modifications have an influence on the quality of a stereo's sound for one reason. In the instant when an amplifier, pre amplifier, or playback device calls for a bit more voltage anything from the power cord to the outlet can cause impedence. In-line upgrades increase the flow of electricity to the stereo so that performance doesn't rise and fall. Depending on how good the electrics in your house are, you may or may not notice a huge improvement with upgrades. However, it is concievable that in-line modifications could have a positive influence on the sound of a stereo.
    -Shwamdoo

"If you are willing to waste $15 bucks, I would second the vote for buying the shielded 14 gauge Volex cable referenced above. That cable can determine whether or not your system is sensitive to power cords."

Thanks for the tip, I just bought one, $12 shipped and it is very nice and chunky. My audio refinement has a wimpy 18awg IEC and I can't help but think this will improve things due to extra current capability and shielding. Analogy -I remember having a dead car battery one winter and my smallish jumper cables would not crank the engine...borrowed a heavy set from a motorist and it started right up. My cable could not deliver the current. So I do think they may help over the little stock cords, but I also realize that our walls are full of 14awg romex and a 10awg cord is nothing but a fire hose hooked to a garden outlet. How can 5 last feet of 10awg cryogenically treated cable help? I have no idea. Maybe it is the quality of the shielding that sets these cables apart? Maybe we just listen a bit better, more carefully when we add a new component? This seems to be a very grey area. Oh well, at least with a $12 cord there's no buyer's remorse.
    Last edited by psonic; 03-21-2005 at 07:02 PM.
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Forum Regular

Save Your Money

Quote Originally Posted by Shwamdoo
    Power cords and other in-line modifications have an influence on the quality of a stereo's sound for one reason. In the instant when an amplifier, pre amplifier, or playback device calls for a bit more voltage anything from the power cord to the outlet can cause impedence. In-line upgrades increase the flow of electricity to the stereo so that performance doesn't rise and fall. Depending on how good the electrics in your house are, you may or may not notice a huge improvement with upgrades. However, it is concievable that in-line modifications could have a positive influence on the sound of a stereo.
    The power cord that came with your equipment can handle any and all power requirements of your equipment. There is no conceivable condition that can possibly occur including meltdown of your entire piece of equipment that the stock power cord cannot address.

Quote Originally Posted by ruadmaa
    The power cord that came with your equipment can handle any and all power requirements of your equipment. There is no conceivable condition that can possibly occur including meltdown of your entire piece of equipment that the stock power cord cannot address.
    The fact that it can't be conceived doesn't mean it can't happen. Let's hope we don't find out.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Forum Regular
    Are you guys buying the upgraded wall outlet also? After reading the posts it can be argued either way - if the cable will actually make a difference. Upgrading the wall outlet does make sense and it is cheap.

Smile Yes I did

Quote Originally Posted by wfontenot
    Are you guys buying the upgraded wall outlet also? After reading the posts it can be argued either way - if the cable will actually make a difference. Upgrading the wall outlet does make sense and it is cheap.
    I have replaced the stock outlets with hospital grade 20 amp outlets, available at Home Depot for about $14.00 each. The originals were 30 year old, $.59 specials, the new outlets were a substantial, audible improvement. This is an inexpensive tweak that I highly recommend.

Forum Regular
    Power cables DO make a difference.....but it all depends on whether or not the equiptment is sensative enough to a different power cord to make the difference audible. Putting premium gas in a non proformance car will make no difference either....same difference.

Forum Regular

Power Cables Make No Difference

Quote Originally Posted by A-Audiophile
    Power cables DO make a difference.....but it all depends on whether or not the equiptment is sensative enough to a different power cord to make the difference audible. Putting premium gas in a non proformance car will make no difference either....same difference.
    Let me see, the electric power you receive in your home has been generated many miles away. It is transmitted via copper cables for that distance which can be quite significant. It then reaches your home and traveles throughout your entire home on copper cables. After all this copper electrical transmission you are telling us that the last foot of cable makes any difference whatsoever. Amazing.

By the way, you don't happen to be shilling for a high end powercord company are you?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information