AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Monster XPHP vs Straight Wire Quartet

Hi,
    I'm currently running 6ft monster xphp from my Onkyo SR603 to B&W 602.5 fronts. Do you think changing to Straight Wire Quartet will make any difference. As such I'm quite satisfied with the sound.

Forum Regular

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rockran
    Hi,
    I'm currently running 6ft monster xphp from my Onkyo SR603 to B&W 602.5 fronts. Do you think changing to Straight Wire Quartet will make any difference. As such I'm quite satisfied with the sound.

First you got descent system. give justice to it.Straight cable IMHO is much better than monster. I have used monster 12gauge XP in my system but when I got chance I upgraded to Kimber 8PR biwire B&K amp TX4430 - Paradigm Studio 60 v2. of it's a BIG difference. They don't belong to same class.

I got monster Digital cable THX connecting DVD - B&K preamp AVP3000, then I got a better deal on Ebay to get Straight Wire Silver link II to replace the monster.My first experience on Straight wire, again another improvement on sound quality.(I will not elaborate on it) but I'm sure it will not disappoint you.

That's a hard question without actually testing it out and seeing/hearing if there is a difference. The reason is that some speakers are better than others and little subtle differences between cables can be heard through some and not through others, which is why there is usually debates over speaker cables making a difference at all. If you are able to actually test the Straight Wire Quartet's out that would certainly help out in the matter. If not you are sort of gambling on the difference being noticeable and/or worth the upgrade costs.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I actually really like Monster's XPHP for entry level speaker wire -- that's what I use in my HT system. You'd have to take a real leap to do better, IMHO.

That said, StraightWire Quartet is not an insignificant step forward. So you may find improvements. But don't hold me to it.

MHO: it's worth trying. Those B&W's deserve at least being given the chance to do the best that they can do.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Why not go with something like the AudioQuest Type 4 or GR-8?

Hi,
    For that length, it probably will not make much difference.

But if the length was longer, Straight Wire Quartet seem to be superior in term of noise rejection due to its quad twist design. Quad Twist design (also known as Star Quad) are very effective not only in terms of rejecting noise, but also in terms of emitting noise (EM field).

These type of speaker wires (such as Canare 4S11 Cable) can be had for fraction cost of Straight Wire Quartet which deliver the same performance in term of noise reduction.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

AR Newbie Registered Member
    thanks everyone for your replies.. smokey i was wondering just that for 6ft would it really make a difference ?
    Peruvian .. a friend of mine has audioquest type 4 and loves it.. will try and borrow his and see if it makes any difference

Hi,

A little late, but nope.

-Bruce

Forum Regular
    I would actually recommend picking up some Audioquest bedrock cable from audiogon, get the demo'ed stuff. I picked up a 10 foot pair for 128$ and it is amazing, much better than my audioquest cv-4s at about the same price.

Thread Information