Thread: Hdmi

Hdmi

Quick question:

If HDMI and DVI are strictly digital signals (00110100111101101), is there any benifit to going with a more expensive cable? I fully believe that cables make a world of difference and that you do need good shielding on any analog signal - but digital? Seems kinda like a gold plated USB cable - really no use at all.

Also, what is the signal drop off length for an HDMI cable?

Forum Regular
    www.digitalconnection.com has very good high quality british cable from "IXOS", check it out, I have the same cables for my H/T setup.

Forum Regular
    Definitely, yes. I am using Tributaries' DVI cable to replace a standard cable. But please note that its length is 8 meters.

I was really worth every dime.

Sukasem

But if there is no risk of interferience, then why spend the extra dough on a heavily shielded digital cable? I know that analog cable need shielding and that a better cable will deliver a better picture (and sound), but digital? Seems more like snake oil than better performance. Like I said, there is no need for heavily shielded USB cables - it won't improve anything, so why HDMI?

Forum Regular
    Not Sure if the same logic applies but, I know with ethernet cable (cat5e) which carries digital computer signals, their are exact specifications on how to run the cable as to avoid interference. Cat5e shielded cabling is very expensive but does exists, I have never seen it installed. The reason you need to worry is because of EMI. With Cat5e your cables should never run closer than 6-8" to electrical cable when parallel to each other but perpendicular is ok. I deal with a lot of different cabling companies who come in and wire the many different school districts I work in and they are the ones that have told me this information. So I would gather that a digital signal could be effected by "outside" interference and shielded cable would ensure data integrity. Another example would be downloading files from the internet sometimes gets corrupt from source to destination, even though the source file is perfect. That is why their are programs to check for file integrity.

As far as max cable lengths goes for HDMI, I believe 15 Meters and I believe all DVI cables must be able to carry as signal up to 16 feet.
    Last edited by HAVIC; 12-15-2005 at 05:53 PM.
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    PSB Image T65
    PSB Image C60
    PSB Image S50
    Yamaha YST-SW1500
    Mitsubishi WS-55807
    Sony DVP-NC875V SACD
    Logitech Harmony 880
    Iriver Ihp-120 MP3 Player

Thread Information